Cynthia_Aussie

K1 visa - SSN delayed, now I-94 expired

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well the whole 'check here if you want/need a SSN' is a somewhat new addition on the form. I believe it was expanded off of existing framework already in place (in the CR visa process there was a box somewhere when you arrived asking if you wanted a SSN- it was never very reliable though). Honestly I never looked into the specifics of the internal process used but I believe when you check that box it simply generates a report at SSN requesting a number for you- no different then you requesting one as you have. And just like other gov systems that would 'forward' your info to another agency you are kind of left in the dark about it happening, meaning theres no notice it was sent to SSA and if you do not get your SSN soon after the EAD card you end up needing to call SSA and inquire where they will usually deflect and say they cant see/access what if anything was forwarded from USCIS and the SSA worker simply creates a new request for a number for you. When the process works as its suppose to its great and I do hope you are able to make it happen!  

Make sure to send your 765 as "amended/correction" and NOT a new filing. You can also reach out to your congressman to help you submit the change. Theres also a chance that even if you failed to check the box they send your info to SSA for a number anyway. 

Are you planning on keeping your maiden name permanently? You do realize if you filled out the AOS paperwork with the maiden name all your documents will be issued as such and if you want to then use your married name you will need to either pay apx 600$ for a new GC printed as such or wait until ROC to make the change. So if you want to use your married name you definitely should amend everything now to reflect the name change as well as wanting a SSN. 

Im also wondering if you figured out what the problem was that they couldnt verify you with DHS back in Nov? Often thats because the person is attempting to use their married name and not what was printed on the i94 but that doesnt seem to be applicable here. Have you checked your i94 for accuracy? Do you have an unusual name that may have been misspelled or shortened or any issues like that? Most of that would be resolved when the EAD is issued but your SSN will match what is on your EAD exactly. If there was an error in the system that prevented you from being verified back in Nov it should be corrected when the EAD is issued and the system updated to reflect the EAD info.

There was a few troubleshooting steps you couldve done back in Nov/Dec before the i94 expired to try to fix what ever what the problem but its too late now. Its a shame you didnt post as it was happening or you may have been able to fix it. You can still look into it a bit now. SSA uses the SAVE system - you can check here- https://www.uscis.gov/save/save-casecheck Here is the i94- https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home Typically fixing an error requires contacting CBP deferred action facility. You may want to poke around those links a bit because if there is an error you may end up getting an RFE about the discrepancy when they attempt to process your AOS package (or they correct it themselves when they encounter it). It depends what the error is if there is one. A lot of the system is computer based so even though it may clearly be a typo the computer will flag it/reject it and say its 2 different people. The save link above should also show you if the results were requested and sent/ rejected type logs.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN, from K1 P&P - this is no longer a k1 Processing question~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

@Villanelle thank you so much for this. 

I had been checking the SAVE link for the past 6 weeks. For the past 6 weeks it has been saying, 'SAVE has returned your case to Maryland Social Security Administration, SSA (single sign-on).' With that info, I've been contacting my local SSA office and the general SSA hotline. Local SSA office kept telling me, they don't care what the SAVE website was saying, it was still 'stuck with DHS'. The general SSA hotline couldn't help me at all. They advised me that they can't help me unless I already have a SSN. It was the same response across multiple agents for both points of contact. I felt like I just had to wait it out and hope for the best as no one was giving me any information on where to go next. From reading the forum, it seems like that's all you can do with SSA. 

The I-94 has my correct name, DOB and passport number. There are no errors on it so don't know what could be the issue there? 

My husband and I agreed that I will use my maiden name for this round of paperwork to make matters easier. I will adjust to my married name at a later date (happy to wait for ROC). Thank you for flagging this though. 

Thank you so much again. I'm hanging out by my mailbox, waiting for the mail out receipt from USCIS as recognition of my i-765. Then I can photocopy that and send along an amendment (noted about making that super clear it's an amendment and NOT a new filing). 

Hmm. It sounds like there was an internal issue within SSA. Its unfortunately common to need to ask for supervisor assistance when immigration documents are involved - not only at SSA but at banks and DMVs and such :( 

Now I know I previously said pursuing the auto check box on the 765 would most likely not be worth the hassle but with the additional information given it may actually be a usable solution. From my observations of the SSA system workers can sometimes submit requests and theres an error or a glitch (maybe its something they did, maybe its computer based) whatever it is -the solution is to either get a supervisor to correct it or to do a work around and submit a new request from a different SSA office. Their system seems to treat request independently (from each office) so the error wont follow you if it was an error the worker caused in the application. Hence why I asked if you had any idea what the error was. Because the SAVE system says it responded in a positive fashion it most likely was an error with the SS office on their end. You can read through the SS manual online- google SSA POMS. Its all very specific and technical about how things needs to be entered into in their system like first/middle/names, number of characters, how it has to match your other documents, etc etc. If you have the time and are so inclined read through it. If not (cause its a lot of tedious info) try to go over all your documents looking for spelling errors. 

The most likely scenario is the worker entered something wrong in their system so DHS did send back a positive response but the SSA computer is still showing something is wrong and cant be confirmed giving them an error code they cant bypass.  So when you get the EAD if you go back to the same office and request the SSN based off the EAD they may have some of the incorrect info still in their system and if this is the case then the only way to fix it would be to have a supervisor there step in and delete or correct what the problem is which can be a headache so its easier to simply go to a different SSA office and apply there if you are unable to amend the 765. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 11:39 AM, Cynthia_Aussie said:

Hi guys, I've scoured this forum for SSN info + many others. I'm hoping someone can help me with the next step. I think I know what needs to happen but am a little stressed given the rubbish experience with SSA so would appreciate advice / confirmation. Thanks all. 

• Oct 20, 2020:      Entered USA on K1 visa
  • Nov 14, 2020:     Married my US hubby.  
  • Nov 16, 2020:     Appointment for SSN with Towson office in Maryland. 
  • Nov 23, 2020:     SSA sent me a letter to say my application has been received.
    • Thereafter, I've called every 5 - 7 days, chasing my SSN. I was consistently told that it's been held up with Department of Homeland Security and waiting for DHS to approve. I don't understand why there could have been such a hold up? 

• Dec 20, 2020:     USCIS confirmed that they received my AOS bundle of paperwork.
    • I had selected NO for SSN with the I-765 (employment authorization) as I had already started the process with SSA. 

• Jan 2021:             Kept calling Towson SSA office, still being told it's been held up with DHS. 
  • Jan 17, 2021:      My I-94 expired on this date. 
  • Jan 19, 2021:      Finally got through to someone at Towson SSA. Says my application is still being held up with DHS for approval. However, as my I-94 has expired, 'it is likely that I will be rejected by DHS and therefore be rejected for SSN' (quoting the SSA agent on the phone). 

Without SSN I can't get a license in the state of Maryland + can't be on my husband's health insurance (this is the part I'm the most stressed by). 

So now I am thinking my only step is to call USCIS and see if I can resubmit my I-765 to request for SSN with it. Is this right? Any other grand ideas? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Hello..i am also from maryland state. I just processed my ssn at Glen Burnie office last january 6. They told me it will take 4-6weeks to process because DHS need to verify my documents before they will release ssn and as k1 the officer told me that my visa is non immigrant and we not eligible for a ssn. But then she still took my documents and gave me a receipt eith reference number on it. I kept on traking my case and checking on SAVE as well as with the office and they keep on telling me also that my case stil under review eventhough I can see from the SAVE that my case was already returned in the agency and my next step is to contact the local agency. 

February 8, i contacted the ssa office again and tole me that it shows 'mismatched' and so DHS did not approved it. The officer asked me if my documents are all k1 and told him i submitted everything with visa stamp k1 visa class and i94 also k1 class of admission. He told me that he will try to submit 'retry for initial verification' and after that i checked from SAVE that i have 2 case verification one which is case under review with max 6 days left and one with case returned to agency. 

Next day i called again and asked, another officer talked again to the officer who process my application and told me to wait for another 4-6 weeks again because my case still under verification in DHS.

Now i am totally confused because I am worried if my i94 will expire and just waiting for this verification from DHS. 

On 1/19/2021 at 12:28 PM, Greenbaum said:

We have found many of the agents at SS have no idea how a K-1 who is wanting a SSN is to be processed. There is a forum here on VJ that outlines and has discussion. You may want to check that out and see what others are experiencing. We recommend that you get a SSN just after you arrive in the states; first week or two. Then after marriage return to SS and update your marriage with a name change. I wish you luck but don't give up. 

Which forum is that for those processing their ssn and having issues? 

On 2/11/2021 at 8:31 PM, Nette1 said:

Hello..i am also from maryland state. I just processed my ssn at Glen Burnie office last january 6. They told me it will take 4-6weeks to process because DHS need to verify my documents before they will release ssn and as k1 the officer told me that my visa is non immigrant and we not eligible for a ssn. But then she still took my documents and gave me a receipt eith reference number on it. I kept on traking my case and checking on SAVE as well as with the office and they keep on telling me also that my case stil under review eventhough I can see from the SAVE that my case was already returned in the agency and my next step is to contact the local agency. 

February 8, i contacted the ssa office again and tole me that it shows 'mismatched' and so DHS did not approved it. The officer asked me if my documents are all k1 and told him i submitted everything with visa stamp k1 visa class and i94 also k1 class of admission. He told me that he will try to submit 'retry for initial verification' and after that i checked from SAVE that i have 2 case verification one which is case under review with max 6 days left and one with case returned to agency. 

Next day i called again and asked, another officer talked again to the officer who process my application and told me to wait for another 4-6 weeks again because my case still under verification in DHS.

Now i am totally confused because I am worried if my i94 will expire and just waiting for this verification from DHS. 

Hi lovely, I wish I had more information but I really have nothing beyond what I've posted. I've just contacted USCIS to see what they say. They've recommended that I sent a letter with my receipt number for the I-765 for me to get my social security number with my work permit. Beyond that, I've heard nothing and don't know what to do. I can't believe that DHS can take so long to confirm. Best of luck to you. Hang in there!

Since your post there have been other threads both here and on other forums about people having this issue. (That DHS is getting stuck somewhere somehow and SSA is saying not verified yet online shows it was returned etc) Unfortunately there is no way to get anyone to do anything about it (in a personal help my situation type way). SSA can't or won't, contacting help through available SAVE doesn't help, congressman also can't seem to do anything for those that ask. :(

Most often when errors or glitches like this occur eventually the agencies release a statement acknowledging it and get it sorted so you may need to just wait it out.  I  believe the ombudsman office does also handle this type of stuff. The ombudsman is not just for problems with USCIS but for any government agency issue. You may want to look into that. Historically the ombudsman takes a long time to respond but the more people that complain the better. There are also often various advocacy type groups that report issues and put pressure to get stuff fixed but I haven't come across any that seem to be interested in this problem (yet) or talk about a class action suit to address the problem and force a fix. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline

Hi we are in the same boat here.  Save system says the same as yours..case returned to maryland.etc etc.  Just totally frustrating.  I-94 expires next week.  SSN office keeps saying they are waiting for DHS. We applied in person at SSN office Dec 16th.  I guess there is nothing any of us can do at this point. 

17 hours ago, KevinOtgoo said:

Hi we are in the same boat here.  Save system says the same as yours..case returned to maryland.etc etc.  Just totally frustrating.  I-94 expires next week.  SSN office keeps saying they are waiting for DHS. We applied in person at SSN office Dec 16th.  I guess there is nothing any of us can do at this point. 

Hey I am in maryland too... did you have an appointment or just showed up? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline
On 2/19/2021 at 6:55 AM, naturalgurl4 said:

We are in NC, but you must make appointment with SS office now. 

On 1/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, AlaMike said:

Thanks, just never heard of it. At least if things don't go as planned, there are options.

The Government says to do the following: "You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual." https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company

On 2/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, HRQX said:

The Government says to do the following: "You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual." https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company

Thanks for this. After MANY discussions with the HR department of my husband's employer and also the insurer, I finally have coverage on my husband's plan without a SSN. We spoke to 2 different representatives from the insurer who kept advising us that I cannot have health insurance without a SSN, so we kept pushing back. After pushing for an investigation into the case through the employer's HR department, the insurer has finally admitted that their representatives were misinforming us and I qualify for retrospective coverage (thank goodness). 

@naturalgurl4, you must book an interview in MD. You can't just show up to the SSN office - the buildings are locked so no one can get in without an appointment. Call, call, call, call and call. I had to call daily for 2 weeks just to get the right information on how to book an appointment. The phone operators each told me something different (all incorrect) until I finally got to speak with a supervisor.

Don't believe what  you're told by the first operator! Call back again to see if you get the same info (and each SSN office is different in how they operate too). I tried to book an appointment with the Abingdon SSN office. They requested that I fax all my details (who the hell has a fax anymore). I also tried the Towson office and they required me to email my information to the supervisor. I couldn't even get the right email to send my details to from the operators, they gave me 3 different (and incorrect) email addresses for the supervisor. I finally managed to speak with that particular supervisor on the phone just to get his email address.

I applied to both SSN offices in the hopes that 1 would get back to me sooner. Towson SSN office got back to me within 1 week after I finally received the right email address for the supervisor. Abingdon office got back to me 6 weeks after I faxed them (by then I had already had my interview with Towson). 

BEST OF LUCK! I hope you have much better luck than I did. I was ready to rip my hair out with rage. 

On 2/19/2021 at 6:55 AM, naturalgurl4 said:

I booked my appointment at Glen burnie office. Tried calling other offices but they are telling that they do services depending on Zip code. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.