Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I need some help. Losing my night sleep over this, and thought of getting your opinion here heading the situation. I am the U.S. citizen who sponsored my husband (Canadian citizen). I moved to Canada to live with my husband from U.s. after wedding about 10 years ago. I worked in Canada at that time until last year when I quit my job in Canada, took a nice break. And just last month accepted a job offer in the U.S. where I hope to start in the coming weeks. At the time when I was working in Canada, I didn't have any source of income in the U.S. and our accountant in Toronto told us that since I have no income in the U.S. I don't need to file taxes in the U.S. so I didn't file my taxes. Last year during NVC approval process, our lawyer asked me to file the taxes, so for now I didn't go all the way back but sent my tax returns for the past 3 years in mail to IRS. I have made many calls to the IRS and been advised that they have not even processes my tax returns yet. I do have my FBAR returns receipts though. Do you think this is a big deal for the interview? I have my sister as the joint sponsor since I had issues proving my domicile in the U.S last year at the time of approval at NVC, so we quickly added my sister as joint sponsor and we have her tax returns, W2 everything. Please advise your thoughts. Sorry for this long message, and thanks for all the help as always. 

7 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

Hey guys, I need some help. Losing my night sleep over this, and thought of getting your opinion here heading the situation. I am the U.S. citizen who sponsored my husband (Canadian citizen). I moved to Canada to live with my husband from U.s. after wedding about 10 years ago. I worked in Canada at that time until last year when I quit my job in Canada, took a nice break. And just last month accepted a job offer in the U.S. where I hope to start in the coming weeks. At the time when I was working in Canada, I didn't have any source of income in the U.S. and our accountant in Toronto told us that since I have no income in the U.S. I don't need to file taxes in the U.S. so I didn't file my taxes. Last year during NVC approval process, our lawyer asked me to file the taxes, so for now I didn't go all the way back but sent my tax returns for the past 3 years in mail to IRS. I have made many calls to the IRS and been advised that they have not even processes my tax returns yet. I do have my FBAR returns receipts though. Do you think this is a big deal for the interview? I have my sister as the joint sponsor since I had issues proving my domicile in the U.S last year at the time of approval at NVC, so we quickly added my sister as joint sponsor and we have her tax returns, W2 everything. Please advise your thoughts. Sorry for this long message, and thanks for all the help as always. 

I think and quote me if I am wrong as long as you take those tax returns to the embassy, you should be fine. The only thing you won't have is the tax transcripts which are usually available after IRS processes your returns. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, acmanu said:

as long as you take those tax returns to the embassy

You did keep copies, right @Abhikochar?

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

3 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

You did keep copies, right @Abhikochar?

Yes, I do have copied of my tax returns filed. And about to file my 2020 taxes as well. I am thinking of mailing the entire package again to IRS along with the 2020 returns and keep a receipt of UPS that it was delivered and keep that as proof for the consulate as well. Do you think this would be ok in our case considering I lived here so I have my Canadian tax returns only. And give copies of my u.s. taxes for my husband's interview. 

26 minutes ago, acmanu said:

I think and quote me if I am wrong as long as you take those tax returns to the embassy, you should be fine. The only thing you won't have is the tax transcripts which are usually available after IRS processes your returns. 

That's right....I won't have my tax transcripts for a while. I feel as if IRS will take a while to process. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@Abhikochar, online filing officially opens tomorrow for tax year 2020. There is a fast turnaround for acceptance/rejection of returns filed online... It is my understanding that the consular officers care more about USD, so the information from the joint sponsor and their taxes/income/864 will be the focal point rather than your CAN information. People with more direct experience, please feel free to correct me.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

11 hours ago, JACHA said:

- Here's a summary of questions he asked - Verify your name and date of birth. Who is your Petitioner? When did you meet and When did you get married? Where did you get married? Who was at your wedding? Who were the witnesses? What does your spouse do? What do you do? Are you planning on applying for jobs when you move to the states? Where are you going to live? Who else lives there? Do the other people who live there work? Did you get this pamphlet (Domestic Violence)? Did you read it? In one or two lines can you explain to me what it talks about? 

Thanks for the review. I am glad you shared it because I would need to prepare answer for the wedding part. Me and my wife did a court marriage in Manhattan and she had one witness from work. Neither families could travel at that time so we went that route. However later my parents came from India to US and we did a big ceremony and have proofs such as pre wedding shoot, receipts from vendors etc. Plus we have been seeing each other every month before pandemic and currently she is temporarily in Canada with me for past 5 months. I hope that response would satisfy the CO but does anyone here have a similar situation where a not a lot of people were present at the court wedding?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, Coco Beau said:

Hey all, 

My interview is on Friday and I’m just getting nervous that I am not going to have something they ask for. I have everything on the checklist but did anybody bring photos or chat/email history with their SO? 

Heading to Montreal tomorrow, so nervous and excited. 

I brought photos, chat logs, and emails, but they didn't ask for it at my interview and I think it was overkill. All the printing out and filing I think I was doing as a sort of salve for my pre-interview anxiety, and really not necessary.

Good luck tomorrow!

Timeline
22 hours ago, 2Ps said:

Sorry, forgot to mention I got approved on Monday as @Hawk Riders mentioned. I did go in at 9:30 am and was out by 10:30 am. I was a petite girl with khaki shirt :) . On another note, while I was waiting, I did wonder how many people were waiting from visa journey :) . 

Also anyone have any reasonable suggestion for cross border shipment? So far, I have checked out U-Haul and U-pack and there's challenges with both as I am not in Vancouver and my stuff is still in storage in Vancouver and I am currently in Vancouver Island.... U-Haul is super expensive if I don't drive myself and I don't trust myself driving a U-haul haha...So trying to figure out the logistic....Just wish Canada didn't have the 14 days mandatory quarantine rule, so my hubby could just come and leave the same day. 

I'm doing U-Haul, it's actually super reasonable probably because I'm driving from like 20km north of the border to like 10 miles south of the border.  They also rent dollies and can even provide movers for 2-4 hours to help you get the stuff into the truck, which I might pony up the money for so I don't break myself trying to do it myself (save my 2 friends who are coming to help and truck-sit).  The truck, tow dolly for my car, and the dollies and some furniture blankets it's $228 CDN tax in.  Adding the movers doubles that.  I also will have move in/out fees from my apartment building which will add on another $100.  It's not *free* but it's pretty reasonable for a move.  I'm not taking much furniture though (mostly boxes/totes of possessions) so I can go with a smaller truck, but even the larger ones were like 10-40 bucks more.

Timeline

Hello, 

Just update on our. Interviewed on January 27th. We were given 221g since we didn't have current Canadian PC. We received PC in mail  on 30th and I uploaded it to Ceac right away. Mailed it to Consulate on Feb 1st. Case had date updated on Feb 1st and Feb 3rd. Delivered to consulate on February 4th. Case date updated on February 9th. My husband mostly lived in india and has Canadian Work permit. Seems like we are going through additional bavkground checking. Checking status thousands times a day. Wait continues......

Timeline
2 hours ago, acmanu said:

Thanks for the review. I am glad you shared it because I would need to prepare answer for the wedding part. Me and my wife did a court marriage in Manhattan and she had one witness from work. Neither families could travel at that time so we went that route. However later my parents came from India to US and we did a big ceremony and have proofs such as pre wedding shoot, receipts from vendors etc. Plus we have been seeing each other every month before pandemic and currently she is temporarily in Canada with me for past 5 months. I hope that response would satisfy the CO but does anyone here have a similar situation where a not a lot of people were present at the court wedding?

Yup that’s fine.  I had 4 people at my civil wedding and I had a large religious wedding and reception after. CO was fine with my husbands answer. 

Timeline

If I'm asking this in the wrong forum please let me know, it's regarding SSN...

My husband got his visa approval on Jan.29th. We are driving to the US/Cdn. border tomorrow, only an hour away, to activate his GC because as of Monday there are stricter Covid land border restrictions being put in place through the CDN government and want to avoid them. We will then come back into Canada the same day. Even though we will be at US Customs for just a short stop we obviously will have to quarantine when we get home.

On his DS-260 we checked off that we did want them to issue a SSN for him. I've read different cases where people wait for a while to get it or some get it quickly. I know it will be mailed to the US address we provided but we are not physically there yet and still have to sell our house in Canada and tie up loose ends first.

My question is..

Does he have to be actually living in the US before they issue his SSN or do they just process and mail it? I've also read that when some try to call about their SSN and they are told they have no record of one being requested they are asked to make an appointment to come in. We are not able to do that as we are not living in the US yet. 

Hoping someone could help out...Thx.

I have another question from the group - I have a civil case pending in BC supreme court - basically I was involved in a fender bender in 2019 and the party sued me for damages in 2020. My insurance company is dealing with it, but I was wondering if I need to disclose anything to the CO during interview regarding this? As per my understanding they ask for previous convictions but since this is a civil matter I don't think there are any convocations but settlement for damage. Let me know if anyone has experience with this. Might good for FAQ's aswell.

3 hours ago, Hawk Riders said:

@Abhikochar, online filing officially opens tomorrow for tax year 2020. There is a fast turnaround for acceptance/rejection of returns filed online... It is my understanding that the consular officers care more about USD, so the information from the joint sponsor and their taxes/income/864 will be the focal point rather than your CAN information. People with more direct experience, please feel free to correct me.

That's right....filing officially opens for 2020..but the problem is IRS doesn't allow international taxes to be filed online. I file it in mail. Thank you for the guidance though. I don't think this one thing will kill it for us. I was really worried about not having IRS certified tax returns for me before my husband's interview. But after reading some of the responses here I don't think it will be an issue. I hope so...

1 hour ago, mizzem said:

If I'm asking this in the wrong forum please let me know, it's regarding SSN...

My husband got his visa approval on Jan.29th. We are driving to the US/Cdn. border tomorrow, only an hour away, to activate his GC because as of Monday there are stricter Covid land border restrictions being put in place through the CDN government and want to avoid them. We will then come back into Canada the same day. Even though we will be at US Customs for just a short stop we obviously will have to quarantine when we get home.

On his DS-260 we checked off that we did want them to issue a SSN for him. I've read different cases where people wait for a while to get it or some get it quickly. I know it will be mailed to the US address we provided but we are not physically there yet and still have to sell our house in Canada and tie up loose ends first.

My question is..

Does he have to be actually living in the US before they issue his SSN or do they just process and mail it? I've also read that when some try to call about their SSN and they are told they have no record of one being requested they are asked to make an appointment to come in. We are not able to do that as we are not living in the US yet. 

Hoping someone could help out...Thx.

We have exactly the same situation here. And I would be following your chat here and learn from your experience. We were booking place in Cali to go there for a month and get my husband's green card. But if driving across the border is an option, I would rather do the same. Come back to Toronto home, in the meantime take care of selling it and get out of here by fall. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.