Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does it depends on the STATE we immigrate to to receive our ssn and our GC? I see people who crossed the border a long time after me and I still haven’t received anything yet. 

Hello, all. 
I have been reading this thread for a while now. I live in Kentucky, my husband and step-daughter live in Calgary. We filed the I-130 and then paperwork for her as his child.
We previously thought our DQ date was July 8. We had sent all paperwork to NVC. At some point a glitch apparently happened and their system showed previously submitted and accepted paperwork as unsubmitted and we had to send it again. 
I found out yesterday it made us have two DQ dates in the system and though the letter they sent me says July 8 they say they cannot fix it and DQ date is now August 19.

I started a timeline on here but probably need to update it. 
While following Covid restrictions, of course, is anyone having luck having their spouse visit the USA during the wait? We are getting close to interview and don’t want to do anything to jeopardize our case, but would love to have them come visit. We dont have any B visas or anything. 
Thanks for listening. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, CrystalNeufeld said:

Hello, all. 
I have been reading this thread for a while now. I live in Kentucky, my husband and step-daughter live in Calgary. We filed the I-130 and then paperwork for her as his child.
We previously thought our DQ date was July 8. We had sent all paperwork to NVC. At some point a glitch apparently happened and their system showed previously submitted and accepted paperwork as unsubmitted and we had to send it again. 
I found out yesterday it made us have two DQ dates in the system and though the letter they sent me says July 8 they say they cannot fix it and DQ date is now August 19.

While following Covid restrictions, of course, is anyone having luck having their spouse visit the USA during the wait? We are getting close to interview and don’t want to do anything to jeopardize our case, but would love to have them come visit. We dont have any B visas or anything. 
Thanks for listening. 

I’m just south of Calgary.   I visited my wife late last year and didn’t have any issues.  My interview should be in the next couple months so I am not taking any chances with a visit to her. Hoping I can join her permanently sooner than later.  

3 hours ago, mam521 said:

Oooohhhhh....West Texas...bit redneck that way!  That said, you aren't far from Carlsbad, NM with the pretty caverns and the gypsum sand dunes that are stunning!

There are plenty of friendly snakes in Texas, which is important for pest control.  There are about 4 main ones that are venomous, but they tend to be pretty shy, not super big and you can just take the water hose to shoo them off.  Rat snakes are good pest control and are the characters around here - if there is a snake in a regretful predicament, chances are it's a rat snake.  I've only stumbled upon a single Dekay's brown in my yard in the time I've been here (so far). I haven't dealt with tarantulas, but I think they are typically further west and south.  Apparently we can get scorpions, too.  I haven't seen one yet, but it's good just to be aware.  It's like Australia, only less deadly! 

I was here on an L1b work visa for 5.5 years.  I met my husband in that time.  We filed my I-130, but he was still a PR at the time.  He'd filed for citizenship, but everything in Houston takes longer and it was right after Harvey.  He got it and then we "upgraded" my petition.  In the "upgrade", we then had to file separate applications for my kids and expedite them because they were initially included on my application when he was a PR, but needed separate petitions when he became a USC.  Can you hear the big gong being summoned here?  Anyway, I had to leave the US with the kids to prevent visa overstay.  So back to Canada we went, thinking it would be 9 to 12mo, tops.  18 months later, we finally came through the border on April Fool's Day, truck and trailer loaded to the hilt, kids and dog in the back seat.  I had the most excellent landlords who extended my lease in 3 month blocks after the initial year long that I was there.  We were so scared covid was going to keep us back, but we were one of the last interview batches that interviewed before the Consulate closed.  

@mam521 very redneck and I like it lol. Do you know, he was going to take me to the Carlsbad caverns? It was only because I wanted to just stay local and hang out with him days before returning home. I am looking forward to when I can call it home so he can take me there and I really want to see The Alamo too.

I appreciate the heads up re the snakes I guess I am going to have to become familiar with them eventually! Thats interesting you mention less deadlier than Australia, as I recall black widow spiders are there too. Oh goodness!

Thats incredible that work led you there and how you met. Oh my gosh 18 months apart! You and your children! Gosh I can't imagine. I'm so glad you made it over before it got really bad. Sounds like everything worked out for you as it was meant to. Your experience is a beautiful, hair raising, nail biting yet wonderful conclusion considering all the twists and turns you all endured. I'm happy for you and your family! You truly were blessed to have incredible landlords who extended such grace in what you know is a frustrating and stress inducing situation without covid being added to the mix. I am excited for when my visa journey starts after we get married. Here's hoping we can do that soon!

Edited by TedsGirl

36 minutes ago, bort_s said:

I’m just south of Calgary.   I visited my wife late last year and didn’t have any issues.  My interview should be in the next couple months so I am not taking any chances with a visit to her. Hoping I can join her permanently sooner than later.  

Yeah, we are so close we are so afraid to take a chance, as well. 
I hope you get your interview, soon. It is hard to know what to do. My stepdaughter is 14 and isolated during this pandemic and he has had to work while she does home school and it has been so bad for her mental health. Id even just bring her here for a while if I knew it wouldnt hurt us. I hate it for everyone but the kids are pitiful. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, CrystalNeufeld said:

Yeah, we are so close we are so afraid to take a chance, as well. 
I hope you get your interview, soon. It is hard to know what to do. My stepdaughter is 14 and isolated during this pandemic and he has had to work while she does home school and it has been so bad for her mental health. Id even just bring her here for a while if I knew it wouldnt hurt us. I hate it for everyone but the kids are pitiful. 

I’m hoping to get interview letter next month and my DQ was June 2020 so fingers crossed I am nearing the end of the emotional rollercoaster.   

I entirely understand what they’ve been going through as well as you being away from family without being able to travel is hard. 

1 hour ago, CrystalNeufeld said:

Hello, all. 

Thanks for listening. 

I (the Canadian spouse) cross at the fort Erie, ON border, and didn’t have any issues travelling with our 7 month old to see my husband. I was in the states 2.5 months and have been to visit repeatedly this year (all 2-4 week visits) I haven’t been given any troubles and don’t have a B visa. I always travel with every original document I need for my visa interview just in case I get questioned. My DQ date is August 11, so hoping for a letter by March. Not sure if certain borders tend to be more picky, but I’ve never had issues at the land border in Fort Erie. Not planning another trip though until after my interview as I think I’m close to my 6 months of stay limit for this 12 month cycle. With a baby born in April I wasn’t going to have my husband miss out on the first year of his life. So I’ve spent more time in the US this year then I ever have. 

Timeline

Thanks for listening. 

I've visited my husband in the US multiple times during the era of COVID-19. I've never had any issues. You're allowed to visit while you have an active immigrant case pending - your husband should just have proof of ties to Canada available in case the border agent asks to ensure his intentions are only to visit.

7 minutes ago, sjb17 said:

I've visited my husband in the US multiple times during the era of COVID-19. I've never had any issues. You're allowed to visit while you have an active immigrant case pending - your husband should just have proof of ties to Canada available in case the border agent asks to ensure his intentions are only to visit.

13 minutes ago, RachaelMcCorm said:

I (the Canadian spouse) cross at the fort Erie, ON border, and didn’t have any issues travelling with our 7 month old to see my husband. I was in the states 2.5 months and have been to visit repeatedly this year (all 2-4 week visits) I haven’t been given any troubles and don’t have a B visa. I always travel with every original document I need for my visa interview just in case I get questioned. My DQ date is August 11, so hoping for a letter by March. Not sure if certain borders tend to be more picky, but I’ve never had issues at the land border in Fort Erie. Not planning another trip though until after my interview as I think I’m close to my 6 months of stay limit for this 12 month cycle. With a baby born in April I wasn’t going to have my husband miss out on the first year of his life. So I’ve spent more time in the US this year then I ever have. 

So, even with land borders being essential only they let you through? He tried a land border and they turned him away and even tried to say it could cancel his immigration process for trying. 

She said that and then came back out and said her supervisor said that it wouldnt because he didnt file from the US. So it scared us to death. 

Timeline

Hello, all. 

Thanks for listening. 

We both have been back and forth to US and Canada though mostly trips was around 2 weeks. 

My last trip was in this month.

I always travel by air and never have any issue so far. 

As other sugguested that one should have paperwork handy to prove strong ties in Canada when asked. 

Best of luck 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, CrystalNeufeld said:

So, even with land borders being essential only they let you through? He tried a land border and they turned him away and even tried to say it could cancel his immigration process for trying. 

She said that and then came back out and said her supervisor said that it wouldnt because he didnt file from the US. So it scared us to death. 

I should have clarified - I've visited during COVID-19 by flying. Land borders are indeed closed. The US now requires a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of flying though, in case your husband does consider visiting.

I'm so sorry to hear your husband experienced that - definitely nerve wracking! But yes, because you've filed through consular processing, he can come visit you as long as he meets the requirements to fly (negative COVID-19 test) and can quarantine for 14 days + provide another negative COVID test upon his return to Canada.

Edited by sjb17

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

SCORE!

"On January 26, 2021, we mailed your new card for your Form OS155A, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, Receipt Number IOEXXXXXXXXXX, to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your card by February 10, 2021..."

...apparently after sending the case inquiry message on the 23rd, the case was updated with "Your card is being produced..."

🎉

Excellent news!

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.