Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Nikasalts said:

Thanks for sharing that info. 

I'm nowhere near 183 during the last 3 years yet (mostly due to covid) but visiting for couple of months will definitely tip me over 31 days. 

Is that much of a problem then, does IRS go after you when you immigrate? 

Sorry, I'm a total newbie. 

I think the key word is “and” so you would have to meet both requirements to be considered a resident for tax purposes. If you are nowhere near 183 days during the last 3 years then you are fine :)

My understanding is that if you are doing your normal day to day work remotely and getting paid in CAD by a Canadian company then you are ok. You are not flying over to conduct new business or work in US. I think it’s a grey area with Covid-19 where we have the flexibility to work remotely for long periods of time. 

I will delete the second paragraph if the info is incorrect or misleading! It was my understanding that I was ok to work remotely in the US. 

Edited by PennyLaneB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@Brockk7, @B+M interview reports?

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Hawk Riders said:

@Brockk7, @B+M interview reports?

Interview is tomorrow morning at 8:15! i'm so excited to be at the end of this all! I will report back to you after! 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, B+M said:

Interview is tomorrow morning at 8:15! i'm so excited to be at the end of this all! I will report back to you after! 

Oops. I had you down for the 23rd.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Hello all! A long time lurker here just wanting some feedback if I can.

(My fiance and I are nowhere near the stage for filing yet - got to get married first - and he is seeking out options. He's the USC and I'm a Canadian PR. We met for the first time on the 11th when I flew to Texas and returned to Canada last Tuesday. I think being in quarantine is making me think and overthink🤪)

Do those of you here file the paperwork yourselves or use an immigration lawyer or a company like RapidVisa? Also from filing to visa issuance, about 2 perhaps 3 years considering covid now?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, TedsGirl said:

(My fiance and I are nowhere near the stage for filing yet - got to get married first - and he is seeking out options. He's the USC and I'm a Canadian PR. We met for the first time on the 11th when I flew to Texas and returned to Canada last Tuesday. I think being in quarantine is making me think and overthink🤪)

Do those of you here file the paperwork yourselves or use an immigration lawyer or a company like RapidVisa? Also from filing to visa issuance, about 2 perhaps 3 years considering covid now?

Did the whole process ourselves. I've heard mixed results from lawyers on this forum. Not sure about rapid visa. The information here is generally more than enough to complete the process but if you would rather have someone else do it for you that is totally your call. Just be warned that some lawyers are better than others in regards to immigration. I'm getting my visa in 18 months ish but there are a lot of factors that could have made it longer.

Edited by jackanddeona

Just now, jackanddeona said:

Did the whole process ourselves. I've heard mixed results from lawyers on this forum. Not sure about rapid visa. The information here is generally more than enough to complete the process but if you would rather have someone else do it for you that is totally your call. Just be warned that some lawyers are better than others in regards to immigration.

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

Timeline

We completed all the documentation, filing and submission of everything ourselves.  It can be a daunting task but certainly achievable and saves on the cost of a lawyer, but to each their own some people would rather someone else just complete it for them.  Good luck, and don't get frustrated its a marathon race not a sprint so keep that in mind.  

Timeline
On 1/25/2021 at 7:51 AM, Hawk Riders said:

...fixed

This didn't work.

A user came through and resolved comments inappropriately, so commenting has been re-removed from the spreadsheet.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Canada.gif

Timeline
1 hour ago, TedsGirl said:

We did the whole thing ourselves, and got a LOT of help from people here at VisaJourney.  People here at VJ have been through every possible situation imaginable so if you feel like your circumstances are difficult or exceptional, someone here will always have a good answer to assist!  

A lawyer is good when you need to expedite or make sure your case isn't lost. Now that most filings are happening online, it's easier to trace your documents and where they are in the process. Your case is not going to be prioritized just because you go through a lawyer unless you use them to help you expedite your case. 

The only reason I might recommend you use a lawyer is because you say you are a Canadian PR. It would depend on your place of birth and how long you lived there before immigrating to Canada. If you had a difficult process becoming a PR in Canada, then I might recommend you use legal help. But if everything for your PR was straightforward, you should be good to go with help from us folks here at VJ! Good luck with your upcoming marriage. I am also married to a Texan! They're the best :D 

Timeline

We did ours ourselves.  Upon initial filing, hubs was a US PR.  He got his citizenship in between, which created some twists and turns, but we found the information from places like VJ FAR more helpful than most other places and we have colleagues and friends who've had MUCH worse experiences with lawyers. 

I'd definitely heed the advice of others and find a good lawyer if that is the route you've chosen.  3 friends used the same lawyer and had no issues.  Another friend cheaped out on his lawyer and the lawyer didn't file his paperwork properly.  

Is a K1 an option for you?  Simply curious.  

Another "Texan" here, as well!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

1 hour ago, TedsGirl said:

I used an immigration lawyer because I was anxious about the immigration process and needed someone to ask questions and help me guide through the process. She was great! She helped us file the petition and recommended that we upload our own documents in the second step (NVC) to save money. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, TedsGirl said:

We used rapid visa. In hindsight we probably didn’t need them as our case was pretty cut and dry. We didn’t know about Visa Journey before we started with Rapid Visa, if we had we might have just relied on these forums instead. We went with them as we felt it would offer peace of mind to have someone check over our petition before submitting. It also helped with filling out the petition and other forms as they have you fill it out through their site which makes it look way less daunting than the actual forms themselves. It was also comforting that they were available 24/7 to contact online if an issue came up. However, sometimes their communication wasn’t the greatest and it was frustrating trying to get a straight answer. 
We don’t regret using Rapid Visa, but I don’t feel was totally necessary. 

Edited by EJOyamot

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.