Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jackanddeona said:

Ya well every situation is unique. Assuming that what is currently open or allowed will continue to be is not necessary accurate. Federal government is hinting at border closures with no warning etc. So ya you can only do your best with the info you have at the time but expecting and preparing for him to not be able to go back quickly is how I would approach it. (Or just him and not you etc.)

Yes, that's what I am thinking too. Just go to Cali. And wait for his green card. Once he gets it then come back for few months to Toronto so he can do his work in Toronto and keep looking for work in the u.s. also, my husband and I are not willing to live apart either. I was ok with it initially, but my husband said no to even a month or so. So let's see how this whole thing goes for us. How long has it been for you now that you are waiting for the green card?

12 hours ago, M Brown said:

Had my interview on the 20th and was told I was approved.  Today I got an email asking me to upload my new police certificate to CEAC and email them to notify it was done.  I've uploaded the document to CEAC and emailed them back.  Any idea how much time this is going to add?  Thanks.

Was your police certificate past the year? Or is it just because they want the new version? Im trying to figure out if I need to get the new version even though mine wont be past a year

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

Yes, that's what I am thinking too. Just go to Cali. And wait for his green card. Once he gets it then come back for few months to Toronto so he can do his work in Toronto and keep looking for work in the u.s. also, my husband and I are not willing to live apart either. I was ok with it initially, but my husband said no to even a month or so. So let's see how this whole thing goes for us. How long has it been for you now that you are waiting for the green card?

My interview is on feb. 12 so not sure. I remember reading, somewhat comically, that two members who crossed at similar times were on opposite ends. One had recieved ssn and was waiting weeks for gc and the other recieved gc quick and was waiting weeks for ssn. There is no rhyme or reason it seems for the speed at which people get them.

Edit: and like clockwork right after I wrote this I read an article that states the US is putting in a 10 day quarantine for international travelers. No idea if that will affect me driving to Texas.

Edited by jackanddeona

12 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

I believe your husband can enter US multiple times with immigrant visa (if not someone needs to correct me on that). We are planning to activate our visa and come back to Canada and wait till my in laws receive my green card and mail it to us. I am not sure if this is 100% legal though so will be seeking advice on this forum aswell, but might save you living in California for 2 months. 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Jmillerca said:

Was your police certificate past the year? Or is it just because they want the new version? Im trying to figure out if I need to get the new version even though mine wont be past a year

My police certificate expired late last year and I got a new one in November.  My lawyer hadn’t uploaded the new one to CEAC ahead of the interview.  I presented the new one at the interview.  They told me I was approved and gave me the welcome to the states letter.  Just wondering if this delay is days, weeks or months - trying to get outta here. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Abhikochar said:

I have a question on this. Our case is similar to yours. My husband and I have been living in Canada for the last 10 years, I am the u.s. citizen. And this year when we leave right after he gets his visa on passport after the interview, we will just fly over to the u.s., activate his green card. Once he gets his green card, we will come back to Canada for few months to wrap up. However, we are looking to not sell the house we have in Canada but to rent it, does that still keep us as resident of Canada until we rent the house out?

I'm not sure about that because we will also be coming back to Canada to sell our house, after that we will permanently reside in the US..maybe someone here can help you with that.

Timeline
1 hour ago, jackanddeona said:

Edit: and like clockwork right after I wrote this I read an article that states the US is putting in a 10 day quarantine for international travellers. No idea if that will affect me driving to Texas.

So far from what I've read online it only specifically indicates that the quarantine/negative COVID test will apply to international travellers flying in to the US or taking another form of public transportation. I'm hoping that means we'd be exempt from the quarantine at least if we cross a land border using private transportation, but nothing's confirmed so it could really go either way. I'm in the same boat as you - expecting to drive over the BC/WA border in mid/late Feb.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, sjb17 said:

So far from what I've read online it only specifically indicates that the quarantine/negative COVID test will apply to international travellers flying in to the US or taking another form of public transportation. I'm hoping that means we'd be exempt from the quarantine at least if we cross a land border using private transportation, but nothing's confirmed so it could really go either way. I'm in the same boat as you - expecting to drive over the BC/WA border in mid/late Feb.

Potentially. There is not timeline or guideline yet for the quarantine as it's an EO and is being reviewed by federal agencies. More just brought it up as it's a great example of how things are constantly changing and you never know how it may affect you until it is in affect and properly detailed.

Edited by jackanddeona

Has anyone booked a hotel in Vancouver/surrey  for an appointment with Dr. Cheema? Just got my flights and trying to decide where to stay since i have a long wait between appointment and return flight.. 

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Coco Beau said:

Has anyone booked a hotel in Vancouver/surrey  for an appointment with Dr. Cheema? Just got my flights and trying to decide where to stay since i have a long wait between appointment and return flight.. 

have you looked into any Airbnb in the area.  I’m planning to go to surrey as well when I get my interview date and I haven’t figured out accommodations there yet.  

7 minutes ago, bort_s said:

have you looked into any Airbnb in the area.  I’m planning to go to surrey as well when I get my interview date and I haven’t figured out accommodations there yet.  

I haven't only because i'm nervous about extra precautions for Covid. I am planning to book one of the mainstream hotels that has a strong system in place for cleaning and access etc. Just not sure what is best, near the clinic or near a place where there is access to good food and perhaps a place to walk a bit and enjoy the day.

Timeline
4 hours ago, M Brown said:

My police certificate expired late last year and I got a new one in November.  My lawyer hadn’t uploaded the new one to CEAC ahead of the interview.  I presented the new one at the interview.  They told me I was approved and gave me the welcome to the states letter.  Just wondering if this delay is days, weeks or months - trying to get outta here. 

Did they tell you that you should have uploaded the new police certificate to CEAC before the interview? I only ask because I also have a new police certificate to present at the interview because mine expired, too. So I'm wondering if I should upload it to CEAC. I hadn't even thought I'd need to, just planned to bring the new one to the interview.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Coco Beau said:

I haven't only because i'm nervous about extra precautions for Covid. I am planning to book one of the mainstream hotels that has a strong system in place for cleaning and access etc. Just not sure what is best, near the clinic or near a place where there is access to good food and perhaps a place to walk a bit and enjoy the day.

Surrey isn't the nicest place for a walk. If you have a rental car it doesn't really matter where you stay as you could drive to hiking areas or in to surrey for the medical. I booked at the closest hotel just because.

Timeline
Just now, Allis0n said:

Did they tell you that you should have uploaded the new police certificate to CEAC before the interview? I only ask because I also have a new police certificate to present at the interview because mine expired, too. So I'm wondering if I should upload it to CEAC. I hadn't even thought I'd need to, just planned to bring the new one to the interview.

They didn’t comment on the police certificate at the interview at all.  When at the first window visit I was asked for the police certificate, so I mentioned I brought both and the woman asked for the newer one.  They kept it and some other original documents for an hour.  During the actual interview it was never mentioned.  My visa status was updated today to “ISSUED” with the “necessary administrative processing” note.  I guess we’ll see in the coming days if there are any snags because of this.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.