Mk8

Applying for I-130 directly in Belgium

17 posts in this topic

I am an American citizen, living in Belgium for the past 10 years. A few years ago I gained Belgian citizenship as well. I've been with my Belgian partner for 7 years and now we have decided to move to the US. I just received and accepted a job offer in the US that requires me to start next month.

We are in a "cohabitation légale" in Belgium, which is similar to a civil partnership here (joint taxes etc) but not a recognised status by the American government. We had been considering the K-1 visa, so that we could get married in the US and because it was a faster process. However, the embassy here in Brussels has explicitly told me they are not processing K-1 visas due to the Schengen travel ban. So we've decided to get married already here in Belgium and then apply for the spouse visa via direct consular filing, with an exceptional circumstance (job offer).

The immigration lawyer we had consulted was not familiar with this process and the embassy will not answer any questions (other than refer to this page). I guess I'm just worried about this whole process and don't know where to get answers:

• Will it look strange that we basically apply the day after we get married?
  • I'm guessing I have to still be physically in the country when we apply, but then I'll need to leave shortly afterwards to start the new job, is that ok?
  • Finally, any idea of timeframes? Our immigration lawyer said the spouse visa is normally 1-1.5 years, but I assume applying via DCF speeds that up?

Thanks for any advice!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

No,  it will not look strange/ you can apply as soon as you have the marriage certificate and translation into English documents

check the guides above to see the process

and check the portal for Beligum by hitting portal above for best sense of a time frame from your country

BTW as a USC you should have been filing US tax returns for the foreign income (over $100,000 is tax exempt by filing out the 2555 form)/ the IRS transcripts required for current income at interview and form I 864 (fillled out at 2nd stage of process ) asks for last 3 years of income 

anywhere from 12 to ????? for CR1 (spouse) processing times because of covid/   fiancee is not faster these days

and this process does not require a lawyer

30 minutes ago, Mk8 said:

I am an American citizen, living in Belgium for the past 10 years. A few years ago I gained Belgian citizenship as well. I've been with my Belgian partner for 7 years and now we have decided to move to the US. I just received and accepted a job offer in the US that requires me to start next month.

We are in a "cohabitation légale" in Belgium, which is similar to a civil partnership here (joint taxes etc) but not a recognised status by the American government. We had been considering the K-1 visa, so that we could get married in the US and because it was a faster process. However, the embassy here in Brussels has explicitly told me they are not processing K-1 visas due to the Schengen travel ban. So we've decided to get married already here in Belgium and then apply for the spouse visa via direct consular filing, with an exceptional circumstance (job offer).

The immigration lawyer we had consulted was not familiar with this process and the embassy will not answer any questions (other than refer to this page). I guess I'm just worried about this whole process and don't know where to get answers:

• Will it look strange that we basically apply the day after we get married?
  • I'm guessing I have to still be physically in the country when we apply, but then I'll need to leave shortly afterwards to start the new job, is that ok?
  • Finally, any idea of timeframes? Our immigration lawyer said the spouse visa is normally 1-1.5 years, but I assume applying via DCF speeds that up?

Thanks for any advice!!

You can file immediately after you got your marriage certificate. It is not "physical presence" for filing but "established domicile" you will have to prove your US domicile (tax, banks, residence...) DCF is a no go except for special circumstances (usually military), which you don't have. You will have to file i-130 online or paper.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. I doubt it

2. I could see that being an issue, if it is being reviewed and you started your job sometime before, does help with Domicile.

3. Faster, but not fast, not sure there is enough data to make a sensible guess.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

You can file immediately after you got your marriage certificate. It is not "physical presence" for filing but "established domicile" you will have to prove your US domicile (tax, banks, residence...) DCF is a no go except for special circumstances (usually military), which you don't have. You will have to file i-130 online or paper.

Why do say DCF, with exceptional circumstances, doesn't apply to us? Reading this page from the embassy, it appears as an American living abroad with a job offer in the US with short notice of relocation back to the US, then I would be eligible. 

I'm not sure what you mean about the established domicile aspect, can you clarify?

Thanks so much for your time!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

DCF is a no go except for special circumstances (usually military), which you don't have. You will have to file i-130 online or paper.

Not correct. A job offer is listed as an exceptional circumstance that can qualify you for DCF when it comes to the I-130. We had also considered it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You may try the exceptional circumstances DCF route with a job offer. Let us know how it goes!

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
56 minutes ago, StrawberryKiss said:

Not correct. A job offer is listed as an exceptional circumstance that can qualify you for DCF when it comes to the I-130. We had also considered it. 

A job offer is not an automatic.   You make your request to the consulate and wait for the response 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Mk8 said:

Is it common to deny people who have a US job offer? Is it a less likely case than the other qualifying events?

DCF cases are less likely to be accepted the last year or so, after USCIS offices in most embassies/consulates were shut down.  The interpretation of "exceptional circumstances" seems to be getting stricter which is why some responses to your question were negative.  Yes, the policy you quoted says that a job offer in the US qualifies, but I recall a few similar cases here on VJ that we not successful in trying for DCF.  You can always ask your US embassy/consulate and see what happens, why not?  If approved, it would be unlikely that they could process a CR-1 in a month, maybe two or three months, but with COVID everything is taking longer than normal.  And once you move to the US to start the new job there, your new spouse would not qualify for DCF anymore.  Another option would be to file the I-130 petition the normal way (you can do it online), and then apply for an expedite based on your job offer in the US.  Good luck, and come back to update everyone for the benefit of future couples.

Edited by carmel34

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Got to be worth an email.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

DCF cases are less likely to be accepted the last year or so, after USCIS offices in most embassies/consulates were shut down.  The interpretation of "exceptional circumstances" seems to be getting stricter which is why some responses to your question were negative.  Yes, the policy you quoted says that a job offer in the US qualifies, but I recall a few similar cases here on VJ that we not successful in trying for DCF.  You can always ask your US embassy/consulate and see what happens, why not?  If approved, it would be unlikely that they could process a CR-1 in a month, maybe two or three months, but with COVID everything is taking longer than normal.  And once you move to the US to start the new job there, your new spouse would not qualify for DCF anymore.  Another option would be to file the I-130 petition the normal way (you can do it online), and then apply for an expedite based on your job offer in the US.  Good luck, and come back to update everyone for the benefit of future couples.

Thank you for your advice! I guess I'm confused about how DCF with exception circumstances is suppose to work for short notice job offers. Most jobs won't wait 3+ months for someone to start. I understand it is necessary to still be in the foreign country to apply but I thought it would be understood that the American citizen will likely need to move to the US first. I will definitely provide updates!

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Got to be worth an email.

If you mean to the embassy, they won't answer any questions via email or phone. They've said we need to apply and then they will decide.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.