Burnt Reynolds

Mobile forum issues

2 posts in this topic

There's some rather annoying issues on mobile (Android 10 OS, using Chrome and/or Firefox) that I've held off on so as not to be nitpicky, but I felt I'd note them down after running into yet another today:

1) Extreme difficulty removing quote blocks (also known as quote boxes)

Sometimes I accidentally add quotes or just change my mind on replying to a quote or wanting to delete a quote from an article (where I highlighted the text and pressed the quote button) and when I position the cursor after the quote and try to backspace through it to delete (which works normally on desktop browsers) it simply acts as if it's highlighting the quote block and won't delete or even enter the quote block (Chrome). I can manually click within a quote block's text and delete text (Chrome/Firefox), and in Firefox I can backspace into the quote block and delete text, but neither will let me discard the quote block completely. This is an example post that nearly prompted me to just give in and make a thread about it.

2) Tooltips not showing up on mobile

Clicking them doesn't seem to do anything and obviously neither does hovering. Is there some other mechanism used for forum tooltips (e.g. in the "acronym" tags), if anything, like.. device proximity sensor?

3) Social media embeds and url hyperlinks randomly not working when pasting into a post

With Twitter, for example, they do not ever embed when using mobile links e.g. mobile.twitter.com/username/status/1234567890, have to remove the mobile part and replace with www. However, I either go to the url with a "www" or I edit it in the url bar and paste on the forum. If I were to edit out "mobile" in the post editor, even if replacing with "www", it breaks it completely. This is an annoyance, however, I simply adjusted (doing the cut and paste from url bar), but recently, when pasting the Twitter url, it randomly pastes the post url in plaintext and doesn't hyperlink nor convert into an embedded tweet. Also, for urls, it occasionally (without any consistency) pastes a plaintext version without inserting a hyperlink. The prior post I linked for the quote block has the very same issue with hyperlinks. This issue persists for me on both Firefox and Chrome, but seems to occur most on Chrome.

I don't know enough about forum code to say what is causing these things, but at least for #1 (which for me is a pretty big issue), if a solution isn't there, I'm thinking perhaps allowing posters in the post toolbar to switch to a more plain text or source editor (instead of richtext/wysiwyg which this seems to be) that shows the tags (e.g. full quote text with all tags) they can backspace through (rather than the graphical quote block) would help solve the inability to delete them.