Karly-n-Bruce

Biometrics appointment question

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just had my biometrics appointment in New Orleans (Metairie) and on the appointment letter, it stated I could use my passport, state issued ID or military ID (there was another one listed too, but I forget what it was). Anyhow, initially, I handed in my Military ID card because it had my married name on it and hoped it would lessen any confusion with my maiden name. With the first guy at the window, it was fine, he gave me my form to fill out and that was it. When I brought everything back to the window (including my ID), there was a woman there now and she asked me for my passport. I gave it to her and then she told me that she has to put my biometrics under my maiden name because that's what it says on my passport. I told her I had my marriage certificate and she said it doesn't matter, it's something I have to deal with at my interview. My question is, have any other K1ers had the same thing happen to them. It seems to me you bring your marriage cert. in order to back-up your name change. I mean, what happens if I'm approved without an intervew? Will I have to send my card back to have the name changed (because she also made me sign in my maiden name)? :wacko::help:

Bruce just realized we're probably screwed because they don't have a copy of my married name signature, only my maiden name. :unsure: UGH!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Did not happen to us, we filed AOS paper work in married name, and had maiden name listed as other name used, the bio invitation letter was in married name.

Only hassle was the security officer at the front door wanted something connecting name in passport with name on biometrics letter, but then decided to let us pass, when I showed my US Citizen drivers license showing same married name.

The USCIS officer had no problems with signing in married name.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

that sounds slightly strange.

I applied for my AOS stuff in my married now.

I took my passport and my marriage cert to show my name change. There was no issue with this, my biometrics was done on cleveland and its located in a huge federal building which you only needed id - no reason - to get in, so I just showed my ID. Then when I was in the USCIS office the guy there looked at my ID and didn't ask for the marriage cert, I asked if he needed to see it, he called his supervisor over who said no, they assume that cause I'm a female K-1 applicant that I would have a different name and thats fine, and then I signed the form in my new name.

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Sounds weird... I had mine yesterday and used my new state ID card to avoid the 'name change' thing - I did have my passport & marriage licence just in case, but only had to show the state ID.

Hopefully it won't be a problem, and the name you've used on the I-485 will be the one they use. I get the feeling that the personal details in the computers the biometrics people use don't 'matter' so much - well, the address that came up on there for me was my mother-in-law's, that we had been using as a mailing address (and which I've since changed to our home address, and had it confirmed when I had an Infopass appointment that they now have the 'new' address listed for the petitions) - I asked about it and the guy doing my biometrics basically said that what they had on that computer wasn't important, it's what's actually in my file (and presumably what they hold on some other computer system) that counts - so assuming that you used your married name when you filed, then that your married name should be the one 'attached' to your case numbers, regardless of what that woman made you do at the biometrics yesterday......??

As you can tell, this is just a guess of the 'hopefully it will all be ok' variety! But that does sound weird, why would they make you use your maiden name when you have another supposedly acceptable form of ID in your married name....? Makes no sense (to me). :unsure:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

that sounds slightly strange.

I applied for my AOS stuff in my married now.

I took my passport and my marriage cert to show my name change. There was no issue with this, my biometrics was done on cleveland and its located in a huge federal building which you only needed id - no reason - to get in, so I just showed my ID. Then when I was in the USCIS office the guy there looked at my ID and didn't ask for the marriage cert, I asked if he needed to see it, he called his supervisor over who said no, they assume that cause I'm a female K-1 applicant that I would have a different name and thats fine, and then I signed the form in my new name.

Same here - I could have showed my passport or state ID to get into the building, they just want some form of photo ID and don't even ask why you're there, let alone want to see proof.... then you just wander along to the biometrics office and walk straight in - no more security, just a window to show your ID & appointment letter and be given the form to fill in...

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

I just had my biometrics appointment in New Orleans (Metairie) and on the appointment letter, it stated I could use my passport, state issued ID or military ID (there was another one listed too, but I forget what it was). Anyhow, initially, I handed in my Military ID card because it had my married name on it and hoped it would lessen any confusion with my maiden name. With the first guy at the window, it was fine, he gave me my form to fill out and that was it. When I brought everything back to the window (including my ID), there was a woman there now and she asked me for my passport. I gave it to her and then she told me that she has to put my biometrics under my maiden name because that's what it says on my passport. I told her I had my marriage certificate and she said it doesn't matter, it's something I have to deal with at my interview. My question is, have any other K1ers had the same thing happen to them. It seems to me you bring your marriage cert. in order to back-up your name change. I mean, what happens if I'm approved without an intervew? Will I have to send my card back to have the name changed (because she also made me sign in my maiden name)? :wacko::help:

Bruce just realized we're probably screwed because they don't have a copy of my married name signature, only my maiden name. :unsure: UGH!

It happened to me too. The two agents (one who asked me to fill-out the form and use the maiden name as the main entry & the other one checking my documents and fingers for cuts etc.) instructed me to write my maiden name. I did not listen, I used my married name and the maiden as other names used. When it was time for me to go get my fingerprints taken and photo, one of the agents seemed to be confused (with the married name since I did not follow the instruction), she asked me for my passport. Because I had it amended, it shows my married name and she said in exact words, "Good, that is what I actually need to see!".

I asked her why they require the maiden name, she said that is the name in the A-file in the USCIS system. But I think as your AOS process is in progress, they would update it eventually to make another subfile under your A-number using your married name..So don't worry, or at least not yet.

Like in my NOA1, there is no middle name when I got it, I thought it was a bit strange since in the I-485 I clearly typed my full married name. But finally, in the interview letter, it showed my full married name. The A-file for AOS has been created and/or updated. It is like a progessing thing.

I hope I make sense here..

Or if you're concerned if there are errors, call the USCIS. At least you gotta do something. Good luck!

Sorry for the double post, I have problems editing my previous post..

It happened to me too. The two agents (one who asked me to fill-out the form and use the maiden name as the main entry, & the other one who checked my documents and fingers for cuts etc.) instructed me to write my maiden name. I did not listen, I used my married name and the maiden as other names used. When it was time for me to go get my fingerprints taken and photo, one of the agents seemed to be confused (with the married name since I did not follow the instruction), she asked me for my passport. Because I had it amended, it shows my married name on one page and the same maiden name on the biographic page. The agent said in exact words, "Good, that is what I actually need to see!". They should've accepted your military ID..

I asked her why they require the maiden name, she said that is the name in the A-file in the USCIS system. But I think as your AOS process is in progress, they would update it eventually to make another subfile under your A-number using your married name..So don't worry, or at least not yet.

Like in my NOA1, there is no middle name when I got it, I thought it was a bit strange since on the I-485 I clearly typed my full married name. But finally, in the interview letter, it showed my full married name. The A-file for AOS has been created and/or updated. It is like a progressing thing.

I hope I make sense here.. :P

Or if you're concerned if there are errors, call the USCIS. At least you gotta do something (that's what I thought before). Good luck!

Edited by mysticbluerose

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I went for my biometrics yesterday I showed my passposrt as my ID and marriage certificate to change my name and everything went fine.

My problem is....when we went to SSA Office to change the information there, I want to change my maiden to my married name,black lady's in the counter told me that my docs (I-94) was expired and she wasn't be able to change my name until my GC arrive, This is not a new card I have my SS number already all I want to do is to change my name I showed my Marriage Certificate and she dont mind it....I read some post here about changing there name after marriage and there were no problem....Any advice will be very much appreciated!!!

God Bless,

arch & cel

AOS JOURNEY

2007-05-07 (PM) Married

2007-05-09 AOS package sent

2007-05-10 AOS delivered to Chicago IL (day 1)

2007-05-15 NOA (not rcved in the mail) (day 6)

2007-06-01 Biometrics Notice in the Mail (day 23)

2007-06-27 Biometrics (day 49)

2007-06-20 Interview Notice Issued (day 42)

2007-06-23 Interview Notice in the Mail (day 45)

2007-08-10 Interview 10:00 am Sn Francisco (day 93) Approved

2007-08-21 Greencard received

Removal of Condition

2009-06-19 - sent

2009-06-25 - received

2009-06-26 - cheque cash

2009-07-17 - notice date

2009-08-14 - Biomentrics

2009-09-08 - Approved

2009-09-08 - 09-15 Card production ordered (email)(day 82)

2009-09-17 - Approval notice sent (email)

2009-09-19 - 10 year greencard received (w/wrong information)

2009-09-21 - I-90 sent

2009-11-04 - Card Production Order

2009-11-09 - Approval Notice received

2009-11-10 - Touched

1009-11-14 - Replacement 10 years greencard received (55 days)from filing expired 11/09/2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I went for my biometrics yesterday I showed my passposrt as my ID and marriage certificate to change my name and everything went fine.

My problem is....when we went to SSA Office to change the information there, I want to change my maiden to my married name,black lady's in the counter told me that my docs (I-94) was expired and she wasn't be able to change my name until my GC arrive, This is not a new card I have my SS number already all I want to do is to change my name I showed my Marriage Certificate and she dont mind it....I read some post here about changing there name after marriage and there were no problem....Any advice will be very much appreciated!!!

God Bless,

arch & cel

AOS JOURNEY

2007-05-07 (PM) Married

2007-05-09 AOS package sent

2007-05-10 AOS delivered to Chicago IL (day 1)

2007-05-15 NOA (not rcved in the mail) (day 6)

2007-06-01 Biometrics Notice in the Mail (day 23)

2007-06-27 Biometrics (day 49)

2007-06-20 Interview Notice Issued (day 42)

2007-06-23 Interview Notice in the Mail (day 45)

2007-08-10 Interview 10:00 am Sn Francisco (day 93) Approved

2007-08-21 Greencard received

Removal of Condition

2009-06-19 - sent

2009-06-25 - received

2009-06-26 - cheque cash

2009-07-17 - notice date

2009-08-14 - Biomentrics

2009-09-08 - Approved

2009-09-08 - 09-15 Card production ordered (email)(day 82)

2009-09-17 - Approval notice sent (email)

2009-09-19 - 10 year greencard received (w/wrong information)

2009-09-21 - I-90 sent

2009-11-04 - Card Production Order

2009-11-09 - Approval Notice received

2009-11-10 - Touched

1009-11-14 - Replacement 10 years greencard received (55 days)from filing expired 11/09/2019

Timeline

We just got home and I checked my online status and it seems we were transfered to CSC yesterday. Now I'm freaking out (probably for no reason) because we won't be able to fix my name at the interview assuming we get approved without one. I didn't think the lady who helped me knew what she was talking about, but I figured it's her job so she must know more than me so I didn't question anything. I just hope to God that my married name is what appears on my green card (I filed with my married name and I also fille out the form at the biometrics appointment in my married name- bottom has a space to but other names used and that's where I put my maiden name... she girl also scratched out my married name at the top of the form at bio appointment and put my maiden name).

For those of you with a green card, is there a computer generated signature on it or do we write in our own signatur or is there even a signature on it? If it's computer generated I'm screwed because they have only my maiden name signature. :wacko: Good grief! People should learn how to do their freeking jobs!

Filed: Timeline

Your green card has your photograph and your index fingerprint.... no signature...

I still find it strange that so many people do not have their passport updated with their married name as soon as they are married... it would solve all the issues about name diffrences and travel and having to carry around a copy of your marriage certificate.... I know it is harder for some people as their countries make it difficult to amend a passport and they have to pay to get a new one but I would still do it and just put the cost down to another expence of immigrating.....

Kez

Timeline
I still find it strange that so many people do not have their passport updated with their married name as soon as they are married... it would solve all the issues about name diffrences and travel and having to carry around a copy of your marriage certificate.... I know it is harder for some people as their countries make it difficult to amend a passport and they have to pay to get a new one but I would still do it and just put the cost down to another expence of immigrating.....

I haven't heard of anyone having issues like I did when using their passport in their maiden name with their marriage certificate as "proof" if you will of their name change. In order for me to get an updated passport, I have to show up in person at the consulate in Miami which is a tad on the far side so I've been waiting for when I am able to cross the border back into Canada to update my passport. Again, most Canadians seem to be using their passport that's in their married name to travel with their marriage certificate and it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question about the signature on the green card.

Filed: Timeline

Karly-n-Bruce,

The I-551 should be issued in the name that you put on your I-485 application. If it is not, you can submit an I-90 at no charge to have them correct their clerical error.

What name is on the appointment letter? You did submit your I-485 in your married name, if that's the name you want on the green card, didn't you?

Yodrak

I just had my biometrics appointment in New Orleans (Metairie) and on the appointment letter, it stated I could use my passport, state issued ID or military ID (there was another one listed too, but I forget what it was). Anyhow, initially, I handed in my Military ID card because it had my married name on it and hoped it would lessen any confusion with my maiden name. With the first guy at the window, it was fine, he gave me my form to fill out and that was it. When I brought everything back to the window (including my ID), there was a woman there now and she asked me for my passport. I gave it to her and then she told me that she has to put my biometrics under my maiden name because that's what it says on my passport. I told her I had my marriage certificate and she said it doesn't matter, it's something I have to deal with at my interview. My question is, have any other K1ers had the same thing happen to them. It seems to me you bring your marriage cert. in order to back-up your name change. I mean, what happens if I'm approved without an intervew? Will I have to send my card back to have the name changed (because she also made me sign in my maiden name)?

Timeline
Karly-n-Bruce,

The I-551 should be issued in the name that you put on your I-485 application. If it is not, you can submit an I-90 at no charge to have them correct their clerical error.

What name is on the appointment letter? You did submit your I-485 in your married name, if that's the name you want on the green card, didn't you?

Yodrak

My married name is on both the I-485 application and on my appointment letter (and receipt). I guess we should be ok...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.