uluslarci

Green card recalled

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

I came to the US in 2014 with F-1 to pursue my Ph.D. I was working as an assistant at the school, so I had an SSN. I got married to an American citizen, we left the US for 2 years, started the immigrant visa process. We came back to the US and I entered the US with my IR-1 in October 2019. When we were processing the application, I did not ask for a new SSN card or number since I already had one.

In December 2019, I got my green card. My SSN number is same with my USCIS number on the front side of the card and my alien registration number on the behind of the card is same with my SSN number as well. 

Today I got a letter from USCIS, saying that this number on the behind of the card is wrong and it should be a different number. They want me to send the card back to them and they will issue a new corrected one.

- Does this have anything to do with my SSN number? Should I let the social security know it?

- I have been employed since I entered the US in Oct 2019. Do I need to update my job about it?

- Has this happened to someone else? We are planning to apply for a mortgage loan nowadays and will I need my green card for any reason?

Thank you so much!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I have never seen a green card with a SSN on it.

Your SSN is NOT THE SAME as your USCIS number.  They are completely different numbers.  

Did you mistakenly list your SSN as your USCIS or A number when requesting the card?

Edited by aaron2020

6 minutes ago, uluslarci said:

My SSN number is same with my USCIS number on the front side of the card and my alien registration number on the behind of the card is same with my SSN number as well.

Your SSN is yours for life.  Your USCIS Alien Number should NOT be the same as your SSN.  The reason your GC was recalled is that your A-number (not your SSN) on your GC needs to be corrected.

Timeline

I do not remember what I Iisted as my USCIS number. So, USCIS number is 123-456-789 but it is my SSN number. I mean numbers are the same, but it is in a different format.

Edited by uluslarci

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
4 minutes ago, uluslarci said:

I do not remember what I Iisted as my USCIS number. So, USCIS number is 123-456-789 but it is my SSN number. I mean numbers are the same, but it is in a different format.

Then your green card has the wrong USCIS number.

Your SSN is completely different from your USCIS number.  They are not the same.  

Send your green card back so it can be corrected.

No reason to contact SSA.  Correcting your green card has nothing to do with SSA.

You do not need to inform your employer.  You are still a green card holder.  Correct your I-9 when you get your corrected green card.

Mortgage company will need your green card to give you a loan.  Your immigration visa endorsed by CBP when you entered the US is a temporary 1 year green card.  You could also make an Infopass appointment with USCIS to get a green card stamp in your passport.  

Timeline

Then it looks like they made a mistake because I remember myself thinking like "oh, so they use my ssn number as my A number too." I thought it was because I already had the SSN number so that's what they do to make things easier or something.

I entered the US in October 2019 so the visa in the passport is not valid anymore. Alright, we will apply for pre-approval for a loan for now so probably I will be OK without the card. I will send it back as soon as possible to USCIS. It is unfortunate I need to send it in a time when USPS is having real trouble. We will see.

Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm sure that you can use FedEx if you don't trust USPS right now but I just sent something tracked with USPS and had no problems at all

20 hours ago, uluslarci said:

I do not remember what I Iisted as my USCIS number.

Do you have a copy of the approval notice for I-130 petition? Your A-number should be right above your name:

Form+I-797C,+Notice+of+Action.+I-130+App

Also when you paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee, what did you input for A-number?

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Do you have a copy of the approval notice for I-130 petition? Your A-number should be right above your name:

Form+I-797C,+Notice+of+Action.+I-130+App

Also when you paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee, what did you input for A-number?

I could not find the approval for I-130 but memory does not fail, I don't remember any alien registration number until my visa was approved. I was always using the case number but it has been a while so I might not remember it at all. When I paid the immigration fee, I think I just looked at the stamp in my passport. I put the registration number, which is my SSN in the A number format. The card came with that number too so I have never thought there was something wrong with it. It seems to me that they made a mistake. The A number that needs to be in the card according to the letter is a number that I had never heard of until I got the notification.

I mailed the card with a tracking number. Notification says the new card will be delivered in 3 weeks after they get my old card but we will see.

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi I wonder if you eventually received your new green card with correct A number on it? My card also got recalled a few weeks ago. I sent the card back on May 11. Today the status shows "You card was destroyed because the post office returned it and we did not hear from you." Not sure if this is normal..? Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Allison1128 said:

Hi I wonder if you eventually received your new green card with correct A number on it? My card also got recalled a few weeks ago. I sent the card back on May 11. Today the status shows "You card was destroyed because the post office returned it and we did not hear from you." Not sure if this is normal..? Thanks!

this is what it says on my case status. 1533546075_ScreenShot2021-05-25at3_18_57PM.png.11c1abbfbdbae8829f832abdade603cc.png

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 5/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, Allison1128 said:

this is what it says on my case status. 1533546075_ScreenShot2021-05-25at3_18_57PM.png.11c1abbfbdbae8829f832abdade603cc.png

Allison, I am sorry for seeing your message that late.

Yes, I got my card around mid-March. So, it took like 2,5 months, I believe.

And, yes, I got the same message saying what your status says. I think it is normal. Probably they don't have anything else to put there that fits our situation. I actually emailed them - there was an email either in status or in the letter, I don't remember- and eventually a lady from USCIS called me. It took a while to get this call from them but my status said the same thing after this lady from USCIS called me so I am assuming that your card is on its way - or you probably, and hopefully, have already gotten it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.