LukasAnderson

i-129f from abroad proof of meeting?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 hours ago, LukasAnderson said:

I'm currently living abroad in Japan and have been for about the last four years.

My fiance and I met just a little under two years ago and have basically been inseparable ever since.

However, i am having a hard time gathering evidence for us meeting in person.

She lives one city south of me, but works in the same city as me.

We literally see each other almost everyday, but i have little way to show evidence of us meeting.

I have my passport in which shows i came to Japan but I've been living here for years.

We would have had boarding passes, etc, but couldn't travel due to COVID restrictions.

What i currently have is:

TONS of photos of us. photos of our engagement, photos with her family, etc.

A flight itinerary to Osaka with our names on it + the CC charge to her credit card for that flight.

A hotel confirmation of the same dates shown on our flight itinerary to-from Osaka.

MY CC statement paying for that hotel.

A receipt of purchasing her engagement diamond and ring with both of our names written on it. 

MY CC statement of that purchase with date purchase.

It feels like i have a lot of supporting evidence but nothing concrete.

I obviously am in Japan and can attach my Japanese driving license, residence card etc. for proof.

Im really worried about an RFE.

it would case huge setbacks that i cant afford.

any advice?

All the evidence that you provided sounds really good.  With pictures I recommend adding dates of when, and where they were taken.  When my wife and I filed, we only added 10 pictures.

Flights that show both of your names, hotel receipts which show 2 guests stayed there, and your passport stamp showing you actually entered Japan is fine. A lease showing your residence and a copy of your residence card will be very beneficial. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Will you be working for the same company in almost the same position when you return to the States? Cause then you would be fine income wise. If I remember correctly and please somebody chime in with better information, if your job continues back in the states your foreign income would be accepted on the affidavit of support which would make the CR-1 maybe more interesting again.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It seems to me that the CC and itineraries don't prove much, so you can leave those out. Photos and a copy of your passport stamps should be enough. If you have the boarding passes that would be great, because for those your ID is checked. I had those, but when I went to file the I-129F I was horrified to discover that on most the ink had faded, but fortunately was still legible on 2 of them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Will you be working for the same company in almost the same position when you return to the States? Cause then you would be fine income wise. If I remember correctly and please somebody chime in with better information, if your job continues back in the states your foreign income would be accepted on the affidavit of support which would make the CR-1 maybe more interesting again.

Unfortunately no,

While i've enjoyed my job here in Japan for many years the underlying issue is that it has an set maximum time limit with no opportunity offered after. Its a shame really.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sometimes separation is unavoidable.  Separation is common when it comes to petitioning for a spouse.  Many couples have had to endure being separated.  

Sitting idle for 6-8 months in a foreign country without friends or the ability to drive while the US spouse goes to work are big negatives of pursing the K-1.  This can cause more anxiety, depression, and problems than being separated for 6-8 months.  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Sometimes separation is unavoidable.  Separation is common when it comes to petitioning for a spouse.  Many couples have had to endure being separated.  

Sitting idle for 6-8 months in a foreign country without friends or the ability to drive while the US spouse goes to work are big negatives of pursing the K-1.  This can cause more anxiety, depression, and problems than being separated for 6-8 months.  

I understand this is a valid concern, but i have multiple reasons for not pursuing a spousal visa.

1. My fiance and I would not like to spend 6-8 months apart.

2. My Japanese income is completely insufficient to be my beneficiary's sponsor, my joint sponsor has only agreed to help if the affidavit of support is non-legally binding.

3. I am unable to go to Tokyo to sign the paperwork for marriage in Japan. I am a government employee (i work in public schools) and am under legal restriction to not leave the prefecture I am living in due to Corona-virus safety measures.

4. I would have to get married pretty much ASAP for the spousal visa to have any chance of working within my desired timeline, this would likely cause a lot of stress between my fiance's very old-fashioned/traditional family and I. It has already been difficult to receive permission for her hand in marriage.

I really do appreciate your input and concern! thank you.

That being said, I would like to keep the focus on my original question; having sufficient evidence for meeting in person.

Sounds like enough evidence.  I'm sure there are examples of how to do the pictures here or other places online, but I was recommended to make the pictures into a timeline with detail of date (approx), location, who else was in the pictures, what trips were for (holidays, birthdays, etc).  Makes a nice visual for your relationship (and honestly is kind of fun to look over now). 

Might as well send everything you have.  I also was living in my fiance's country and sent photos of my entries into the country over the years, a letter from the school I worked for saying I had worked there for X amount of time.  Maybe you plan on it, but I had some letters written and included it as well.  A co-worker wrote a letter saying she had known both of us for X time, had attended her birthday, baby shower, etc.  A translated letter from his sister saying we got engaged at her house, a letter from my sister when she visited us, etc.  I had a whatsapp chat with my family that my fiance was in and sent screenshots, also sent screenshots of my family talking about him in the past.  Signed letters from us saying how we met, that we intend to be married, and whatnot. 

I have no idea how much is really needed, but wasn't asked for an RFE and I figure it's better for them to be annoyed it's too much than for them to have lingering questions about our relationship. 

Last thing, and I know you don't want to hear it, but I would really consider getting married and not doing k1.  Six months apart is hard to be apart, but 7-9 months in an apartment alone all day without being to work, drive, have her own income, have any friends or family will also be really hard for your wife.  Is her traditional family ok with her having a wedding without them?  Or would they prefer to be present for the wedding, but for it to be soon?  No idea about Japanese residency, but with the way the world has changed, have you thought about finding a remote US job?  You could begin as soon as you get the job to make a US salary, could still be together (or maybe you'd have to go back and forth between Asian countries and re-enter on a tourist visa), and then when you move to the US you have savings and your wife can start her life right away.  Just a thought (a friend of mine is doing that with her spouse while they wait and it is working out very well). 

Seems like you've thought this through and have made the choice that's most appropriate for your priorities as a couple. I understand, as I'm another one of those who looked at both options and purposely chose the K1 over the spousal visa route. Good luck and hope the timelines work in your favor! 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

All the evidence that you provided sounds really good.  With pictures I recommend adding dates of when, and where they were taken.  When my wife and I filed, we only added 10 pictures.

Flights that show both of your names, hotel receipts which show 2 guests stayed there, and your passport stamp showing you actually entered Japan is fine. A lease showing your residence and a copy of your residence card will be very beneficial. 

thanks so much for your input!

Would it be okay to just handwrite the dates/locations beneath the pictures?

Also I'm planning to just print pictures from a normal color-printer. They aren't required to be printed on photopaper right?

do you think it would be beneficial to take a picture together with a newspaper or something dated?

I've seen many others talk about doing that.

Timeline

Everyone thanks for your input and comments.

I posted this in a new thread since its a bit of a different question but since this forum is so active I'm trying here.

Im having trouble deciphering what address to file this at?

I will be sending the entire application to my mom in the states so she can include a check drawn from US bank account.

She will then forward to the proper address via UPS or FedEX priority.

I'm confused if the correct filing location would still be based off of my foreign(japan) address or my mother's address in the states.

with this question solved i should be gold to send the application! thank you all!

Edited by LukasAnderson

5 minutes ago, LukasAnderson said:

I posted this in a new thread since its a bit of a different question but since this forum is so active I'm trying here.

I will be sending the entire application to my mom in the states so she can include a check drawn from US bank account.

I'm confused if the correct filing location would still be based off of my foreign(japan) address or my mother's address in the states.

with this question solved i should be gold to send the application! thank you all!

To make things simpler, do you have a US credit card? If yes, you can use that instead of asking your mom to include a check drawn from a US bank account. The form to use is Form G-1450: Authorization for Credit Card Transactions: Pay With a Credit Card | USCIS

My fiancé included this in our packet, and then I sent off the whole packet direct from our shared address in Manila via DHL to the Lewisville lockbox. Payment and package accepted without issues. Took 6 calendar days with DHL standard delivery. 

17 minutes ago, LukasAnderson said:

I-129F filing is not based on address or residence.  Everything is submitted to the Texas Lockbox.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, LukasAnderson said:

thanks so much for your input!

Would it be okay to just handwrite the dates/locations beneath the pictures?

Also I'm planning to just print pictures from a normal color-printer. They aren't required to be printed on photopaper right?

do you think it would be beneficial to take a picture together with a newspaper or something dated?

I've seen many others talk about doing that.

When me and my wife filed,  I had printed out the pictures on paper, and I had typed all the dates, and a description of what each picture was and where it was.  I also heard of couple printing pictures, and then writing the dates and descriptions on the  back of the printers.  If doing that, make sure you use an ink that does not smear, like a ball point pen. 

9 hours ago, LukasAnderson said:

I posted this in a new thread since it's a bit of a different question but since this forum is so active, I'm trying here.

I'm having trouble deciphering what address to file this at?

She will then forward to the proper address via UPS or FedEx priority.

I'm confused if the correct filing location would still be based off my foreign(japan) address or my mother's address in the states.

A google search provided the answer. USCIS Phoenix and Dallas Lockbox facilities | USCIS 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.