Nikasalts

AOS or consular processing?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone

We got married (hubby is USC) in July 2020 and filled I130 in August (TSC to NSC). 

On 130 form we've indicated that we're in for consular processing in Montreal, Canada, but with C19 travel restrictions I don't think we have the patience to wait another year or so for the interview without seeing each other. 

Is there a way for us to do AOS from US after the I130 gets approved? 

I was thinking of filling K3 but considering the timelines not sure if that makes sense. 

Please advise 

Many thanks 

nika 

Edited by Nikasalts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

You can only do AOS if the foreign spouse is already in the US. Entering the US with the intent to adjust status would be considered fraud. 

09/25/20: AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-765/I-944) mailed out via USPS.

09/27/20: Package received by USPS.

10/24/20: Received NOA1 in the mail. PD is 09/28/20.

01/05/21: Biometrics appointment completed (Brooklyn ASC). Case updated to show fingerprints were taken (I-486 & I-765).

01/05/21: I-131 mailed via UPS.

01/17/21: Received IOE receipt number for I-131 via text.

01/25/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-131.

02/02/21: I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

02/04/21: Received I-693 deficiency notice in the mail (dated 01/29/21).

02/09/21: Advance Parole document was produced.

02/16/21: AP in hand.
02/26/21: New Card Is Being Produced (EAD).

03/04/21: EAD in hand.

09/01/21: EAD renewal paperwork received by USCIS. IOE receipt number.

09/07/21: Receipt / 180-day automatic extension received in the mail.

09/09/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-765 renewal.

10/25/21: AP renewal NOA and biometrics reuse received in the mail.

11/04/21: Interview was scheduled for 12/02.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, iy2020 said:

You can only do AOS if the foreign spouse is already in the US. Entering the US with the intent to adjust status would be considered fraud. 

Yep, that's what I thought. Thanks

After getting deeper into Montreal visa processing thread I see that there's a very long line ahead of me :( 

1 hour ago, Nikasalts said:

Yep, that's what I thought. Thanks

After getting deeper into Montreal visa processing thread I see that there's a very long line ahead of me :( 

I believe you can visit. Tricky, but doable.

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

Timeline
7 hours ago, angeljolie said:

I believe you can visit. Tricky, but doable.

Tricky to say the least :(

Pretty impressive timeline in your signature, you applied 2 days before us :) Congratulations 

Edited by Nikasalts

51 minutes ago, Nikasalts said:

Out of curiosity though....doesn't K3 visa give you ability to wait in US and apply for AOS from there? 

A lot are saying the K3 is obsolete.  I just googled now and a few sites mentioned that processing time for K3 visa is about 6-9 months. You can always try, if you're willing to spend an extra $265. Could be worth it.

50 minutes ago, Nikasalts said:

Tricky to say the least :(

Pretty impressive timeline in your signature, you applied 2 days before us :) Congratulations 

Thank you. Hopefully you hear some good news too. :) Meantime, keep yourself busy. Hanging around VJ helps. 

I-130                                                                                   

I-751

N-400             

3 hours ago, angeljolie said:

A lot are saying the K3 is obsolete.  I just googled now and a few sites mentioned that processing time for K3 visa is about 6-9 months. You can always try, if you're willing to spend an extra $265. Could be worth it.

No fee for petition for K3 spouse.  K3 is effectively obsolete -- for FY2019, only 5 K3 visas were issued worldwide.  I haven't seen the FY2020 yearly report yet, but from browsing the monthly issuance reports, I haven't seen any K3 visas issued at all in 2020.  But yes, nothing stopping anyone from trying anyway.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Chancy said:

No fee for petition for K3 spouse.  K3 is effectively obsolete -- for FY2019, only 5 K3 visas were issued worldwide.  I haven't seen the FY2020 yearly report yet, but from browsing the monthly issuance reports, I haven't seen any K3 visas issued at all in 2020.  But yes, nothing stopping anyone from trying anyway.

This is because a couple years ago USCIS started killing the second petition once they knew they had both.  Before that, since 2010. NVC was the murderer of I-129F petitions for spouse.  Since November 2006, USCIS has been processing both petitions together.

The six to nine months processing mentioned earlier could be about nothing but USCIS processing time, not processing the visa itself.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
11 hours ago, Nikasalts said:

Out of curiosity though....doesn't K3 visa give you ability to wait in US and apply for AOS from there? 

With an approved I-130, you can not pursue the K-3 visa.  

You're going to have to be patience.  There is no way for you to speed this up.  Your spouse will have to wait their turn for an immigration visa interview in Canada.

Sorry.

7 hours ago, Chancy said:

This is where I got the $265: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/fees/fees-visa-services.html

image.png.d7f8d35830ec8575afb1368d09ddb0bb.png

But I'm not familiar at all with the K3 route as we did not explore this.

I-130                                                                                   

I-751

N-400             

On 1/4/2021 at 5:54 PM, angeljolie said:

This is where I got the $265: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/fees/fees-visa-services.html

image.png.d7f8d35830ec8575afb1368d09ddb0bb.png

But I'm not familiar at all with the K3 route as we did not explore this.

That’s the visa fee. Chances of it getting there is very slim. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.