Theodoris92

Is it possible to reaffirm i-130 spousal petitions after withdrawal? (merged topics)

21 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So my partner, and I went through the I-130 process. It has been a long emotional roller coaster, and she had an interview at the embassy a year ago. She was issued a 1 year ineligibility due to substance abuse. This past year with CO-VID19, we fought a lot and were contemplating divorce.  I requested to cancel the petition. The embassy stated they were sending the case back to USCIS for cancellation, first to NVC and then the NVC would send it to USCIS. When contacting NVC, their replies are very automatic and they simply state "We sent your case to the embassy at ____ date (a year ago).  Is there any hope of reaffirming, or saving the i-130 petition after it has been requested to be cancelled by the petitioner? I wrote a letter of reaffirmation to the embassy, but they suggested reaching out to NVC (which are honestly not helpful). Should I be sending a signed, notarized letter to the USCIS and NVC? Does anyone know the appropriate addresses?

Or, is it likely I am out of luck and we will need to do go through the process again with a new petition?

Any and all insights, and suggestions are welcome.

Hi,

Short story: I have been in a long-distance relationship with my partner (who we entered a divorce process, but now we are talking about making things work). We haven't received the judgment yet. I originally cancelled her I-130 petition, which I'm trying to save (although it looks helpless). I am now exploring doing a I-129F petition for my partner, and my stepson. We also have a 2 year old daughter who is an American citizen.

We are technically still "married" in her home country, although we don't know if it is too late to cancel that process (probably is) so we'll soon be "divorced". I would like to sponsor her, and my stepson to now come through the I-129F process.

Is that a possibility, also with the open (yet pending cancelled I-130)?

In submitting the petition, would I need to produce the divorce judgment, or should I explain the full context or is that more appropriate possibly at the consulate interview stage?

If I am understanding things correctly, the I-129F is a form where I can simply list the name of my stepson. So, the cost would be initially $535 to apply for her and it my stepson's name can be included in on there to receive a visa?

I appreciate any and all insight.

Edited by Theodoris92

12 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Nothing to do but start over.  You voluntarily withdrew your petition, and you cannot legally compel the to reopen it, or as you say, reaffirm it.

I bet they were happy to knock one more off their plate with the backlog. I guess I'll try nudging them hoping to get someone who is empathetic, but I have kind of lost hope with that. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how rigid, and inhumane their processes are.

My partner and I also started a divorce process, but we are now trying to work things out (which is why I am pushing to see if they'll reopen the I-130).  I don't know if we can stop that divorce, I've inquired with an attorney in that country. We may be "divorced" if that process isn't cancelled. Do you know if we could start a fiance visa petition in that scenario? We certainly check the box of knowing each other for more than 2 years...

Thanks for your response.

Edited by Theodoris92

4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

They set policies so they can treat people "fairly".  It wouldn't be "fair" at all to have a policy be ignored due to empathy.  It is for YOU to understand that actions have consequences.

They/their emotions in the matter are irrelevant to their job.

Amidst a global pandemic, I would hope there would be a bit more flexibility or empathy with how this situation has put more pressure on marriages.

I thank you, and Lucky Cat for your responses. It seems I took a very permanent action, but a positive is that it gives us time to communicate and plan our next steps.

Do any of you know about if our divorce isn't revocable, if the fiance process is an option? If not, we'll likely get married again in her home country and try to do a brand new I-130.

Edited by Theodoris92

• Ryan H changed the title to Is it possible to reaffirm i-130 spousal petitions after withdrawal? (merged topics)
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Similar topics merged and merged thread moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum; multiple processes are being discussed.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The K1 is definitely a possibility but with so many issues a Cr1 would seem a better option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ryan H - Thanks for moving the thread

Boiler - I think we will likely end up doing the same petition, I guess I'll wait and see how things play out over there if we're able to cancel that process.

Ra - I understand, due to the large volume they need to have an objective way of handling these cases. My mistake was letting anger and impulse get the best of me.

I think I'm good to go, I appreciate every single person who took the time to post on my thread. I should have read this forum being making my impulsive decision. I hope everyone is having a great start to their 2021. It can't be worse than 2020...right?

Edited by Theodoris92

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.