melusine10

N-400 January 2021

376 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
2 hours ago, Atanga1234 said:

Good day to everyone. What is the current fees for Form N400?  Thanks

The correct fee is stated on USCIS form N-400 and on their website. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
15 hours ago, DM4 said:

I was beyond thrilled when I saw the Biometric Reuse letter on 2/12/2021 (same date you did), and then found out that 2 other people I know who filed in October 2020 received the same letter. 

Note, you filed in January 2021, I filed in March 2020. It appears there was a massive number of notices sent to Newark NJ 2020 filers (and January 2021). This was the first update on my case since I filed 11 months ago.

Looking at forums and realizing how many people received the same notice, I am less convinced it actually means any "progress", but I sure hope I'm wrong!

I can understand that, but if you look at your time of filing (if I remember correctly is March 2020) and my time of filing it is a progress for both of us. My biometric has been fairly quick, yours was longer but its moving forward. Now your interview might be scheduled within next 3-4 months and I might have to wait until end of the year. I'll take small progress at any time 😊

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Sebat4 said:

I can understand that, but if you look at your time of filing (if I remember correctly is March 2020) and my time of filing it is a progress for both of us. My biometric has been fairly quick, yours was longer but its moving forward. Now your interview might be scheduled within next 3-4 months and I might have to wait until end of the year. I'll take small progress at any time 😊

Sure, it is a progress by definition to receive a letter from USCIS, I agree with that.

However my point was that, since that letter was sent 1 day to massive number of people who filed within the past year+, the next steps might not follow soon, as the priority (hopefully) goes to 2019/2020 filers.

Homeland Security will not simply check your or my background next, because they have massive number of people to check. It's not like in other states when people recive bio reuse and the interview letter follows.

In this case, so many people received this letter, that it will take time for background checks and to line up all those people for interviews. 

But I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble. I'm happy I got the letter even if thousand other people received the same. But I guess it's a great psychological move on the part of USCIS. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
1 hour ago, DM4 said:

Sure, it is a progress by definition to receive a letter from USCIS, I agree with that.

However my point was that, since that letter was sent 1 day to massive number of people who filed within the past year+, the next steps might not follow soon, as the priority (hopefully) goes to 2019/2020 filers.

Homeland Security will not simply check your or my background next, because they have massive number of people to check. It's not like in other states when people recive bio reuse and the interview letter follows.

In this case, so many people received this letter, that it will take time for background checks and to line up all those people for interviews. 

But I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble. I'm happy I got the letter even if thousand other people received the same. But I guess it's a great psychological move on the part of USCIS. 

I agree with you as well. I'm just happy that there was something. I would be more pissed and disappointed if I was stuck waiting for the fingerprint notice for months or longer. Now I just go about my life and the notice for an interview will arrive at some point. That's all i was trying to say. 

I sent my paper application by UPS & it was delivered on 1/12/21. No notice of action or any type of confirmation so far & it has been 5 weeks. Confirmed with my bank that they didn't cash the fee check yet. Is this normal for the Newark, NJ field office? Worried that they won't cash the check before it expires in 90 days.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pres19 said:

I sent my paper application by UPS & it was delivered on 1/12/21. No notice of action or any type of confirmation so far & it has been 5 weeks. Confirmed with my bank that they didn't cash the fee check yet. Is this normal for the Newark, NJ field office? Worried that they won't cash the check before it expires in 90 days.

There are some people that applied in December 2020 with a paper application and it took longer than a month to get the NOA

So it looks like it’s normal for you to be waiting this long. 

Take a look through the December 2020 thread to get an idea of it. 

I-751

7/14/20 - Application mailed.

7/17/20 - Application received.

7/24/20 - Text notification received with a WAC number.
7/31/20 - 797 received. Printed on 7/26/20.

1/06/21 - Case transferred.

1/13/21 - Received transfer notice in mail.

1/21/21 - Biometrics applied.

1/26/21 - Received biometrics reuse notice in mail. 

2/11/21 - Called for an update on my case and was told file is in local office.

2/26/21 - Received interview notice. Printed on 2/22/21.

N-400 - Military Service Based

1/12/21 - Application submitted online; Application received.

1/13/21 - Received IOE electronic receipt notice via email; Biometrics walk-in; Case status changed to "Case is Being Actively Reviewed by USCIS."

1/19/21 - Received paper receipt notice in the mail.

1/22/21 - Received email from USCIS that a new receipt notice will be issued due to an error on the previous one.

1/26/21 - New receipt notice posted on my online account. 
2/01/21 - New receipt notice arrived in mail. 

2/19/21 - Case status changed to Interview scheduled.

2/22/21 - Interview notice posted on my online account.

2/26/21 - Received paper interview notice in mail.

3/16/21 - Biometrics Reuse notice posted online.

3/26/21 - Received biometrics reuse notice in mail. 

3/30/21 - N-400 approved; Same-day oath ceremony. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Pres19 said:

Here is a useful link to N-400 Processing Timelines, I sorted it by Newark,NJ but you can play around with filters: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?cfl=0&op1=3&op2=d&op3=&op4=1&op5=&op6=All&op7=Newark NJ

You specifically asked for Newark, NJ. My application was also paper based to Newark, NJ sent in March 2020. It took 5 days to get a notice with instructions to set up an online accout. 

So I would say waiting more than 5 weeks is not normal for Newark. It should be 5 to 15 DAYS. Since it's over a month, I would give them a call right away. No point waiting another 5 weeks...

30 minutes ago, DM4 said:

Here is a useful link to N-400 Processing Timelines, I sorted it by Newark,NJ but you can play around with filters: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?cfl=0&op1=3&op2=d&op3=&op4=1&op5=&op6=All&op7=Newark NJ

You specifically asked for Newark, NJ. My application was also paper based to Newark, NJ sent in March 2020. It took 5 days to get a notice with instructions to set up an online accout. 

So I would say waiting more than 5 weeks is not normal for Newark. It should be 5 to 15 DAYS. Since it's over a month, I would give them a call right away. No point waiting another 5 weeks...

I tried calling them for half an hour and couldn't get past the automated system to speak to a person. The automated system kept running me around asking for Receipt number, which I don't have! Is there a better number to reach them than 1 (800) 375-5283 ?

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Pres19 said:

I tried calling them for half an hour and couldn't get past the automated system to speak to a person. The automated system kept running me around asking for Receipt number, which I don't have! Is there a better number to reach them than 1 (800) 375-5283 ?

So this is what i did for you:

I went on USCIS and intercepted Emma, the virtual assistant to chat. I entered your concern and after back and forth this is what robo Emma generated:

You will have to wait for your receipt number to arrive in the mail, or be sent to you electronically if you filed G-1145 along with your application/petition. If it has been more than 30 days since you submitted your application/petition and you have not received your receipt notice, please check to make sure your payment was cashed by USCIS.

If your payment was not cashed, your application/petition might have been lost in the mail or rejected by the Lockbox for some reason. Please email the Lockbox at lockboxsupport@uscis.dhs.gov to inquire about your application/petition.

If your payment was cashed, please call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TTY).

So it looks like you have to email above, to inquire on your case, since your check was not cashed by USCIS and it's been more than 30 days. 

Hope this helps. Good Luck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Forgot to mention my biometrics are being reused without a refund (booo). Notice was dated Feb 1st. 

Louisville, KY is the local office and seems to be moving quickly.

On 2/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, DM4 said:

Right now if you can get through an agent they will tell you to expect that it will take 6-8 weeks for them to issue a receipt notice. The reason is mostly them shutting down for a couple months and then opening up with limited capacity, so they can't get through the applications as quickly as before. 5-15 days was the pre-covid timeline...

On 2/17/2021 at 9:46 PM, DM4 said:

So this is what i did for you:

I went on USCIS and intercepted Emma, the virtual assistant to chat. I entered your concern and after back and forth this is what robo Emma generated:

You will have to wait for your receipt number to arrive in the mail, or be sent to you electronically if you filed G-1145 along with your application/petition. If it has been more than 30 days since you submitted your application/petition and you have not received your receipt notice, please check to make sure your payment was cashed by USCIS.

If your payment was not cashed, your application/petition might have been lost in the mail or rejected by the Lockbox for some reason. Please email the Lockbox at lockboxsupport@uscis.dhs.gov to inquire about your application/petition.

If your payment was cashed, please call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TTY).

So it looks like you have to email above, to inquire on your case, since your check was not cashed by USCIS and it's been more than 30 days. 

Hope this helps. Good Luck. 

This is amazing and thank you for your help! I sent them an email with my details and the UPS tracking number showing the application was delivered on 1/12/21.

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to get information out of the virtual assistant? I found no way of interrupting or getting the assistant to answer my question.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Pres19 said:

This is amazing and thank you for your help! I sent them an email with my details and the UPS tracking number showing the application was delivered on 1/12/21.

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to get information out of the virtual assistant? I found no way of interrupting or getting the assistant to answer my question.

Glad I could help. As far as Emma, it is a robo chat so you have to use simple, targeted words, so the system connects the dots. Full sentences will confuse Emma. She's not that smart lol (yet...).

I think after a few failures i used something along the lines: "receipt notice not received". Again, with Emma, short and sweet :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all,

Great news. Just checked my online account and saw that my interview was scheduled today. I still don't know for when since the date isn't available yet.

I-751

7/14/20 - Application mailed.

7/17/20 - Application received.

7/24/20 - Text notification received with a WAC number.
7/31/20 - 797 received. Printed on 7/26/20.

1/06/21 - Case transferred.

1/13/21 - Received transfer notice in mail.

1/21/21 - Biometrics applied.

1/26/21 - Received biometrics reuse notice in mail. 

2/26/21 - Received interview notice. Printed on 2/22/21.

N-400 - Military Service Based

1/12/21 - Application submitted online; Application received.

1/13/21 - Received IOE electronic receipt notice via email; Biometrics walk-in; Case status changed to "Case is Being Actively Reviewed by USCIS."

1/19/21 - Received paper receipt notice in the mail.

1/22/21 - Received email from USCIS that a new receipt notice will be issued due to an error on the previous one.

1/26/21 - New receipt notice posted on my online account. 
2/01/21 - New receipt notice arrived in mail. 

2/19/21 - Case status changed to Interview scheduled.

2/22/21 - Interview notice posted on my online account.

2/26/21 - Received paper interview notice in mail.

3/16/21 - Biometrics Reuse notice posted online.

3/26/21 - Received biometrics reuse notice in mail. 

3/30/21 - N-400 approved; Same-day oath ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.