Greenbaum

JANUARY 2021 K-1 NOA2 to NVC to EMBASSY

282 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Just received the news that my embassy closed down effective immediately June 13th 😔😔 and suspended all visa operations. I really hate this process and won’t get an interview until next year. I have no hope at all and I hate covid. Well looks like I have to book my ticket to see my fiancé. This is a depressing process for sure

Edited by smile101

On 6/12/2021 at 5:32 AM, smile101 said:

Just received the news that my embassy closed down effective immediately June 13th 😔😔 and suspended all visa operations. I really hate this process and won’t get an interview until next year. I have no hope at all and I hate covid. Well looks like I have to book my ticket to see my fiancé. This is a depressing process for sure

I am so sorry to hear about this. What is your embassy? Where it is located?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline
On 6/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, sandiegodan2020 said:

This is just my opinion and everyone's journey is different.

Under normal times. You could get an embassy interview without an issue and then schedule your medical exam just a few days after you get scheduled to the interview. There was enough time between confirming an interview and the actual interview to get the exam and for the report to reach the embassy. And if not no big deal you get green slipped and it would work out.

However, after covid, the shut downs, and now reopening, there are lots of people waiting in line from last year.

There are folks that have to get the medical exam again because they expire after 6 months. So the Drs are booked solid for at least 30 days.

That was our experience anyhow. 

There are also folks that are trying to avoid the scenario of expiring medical and want to push the exam until after the interview etc. Or as close to interview as possible.

After all, who wants to waste $600.

That was not our strategy. We were more aggressive in out approach and advocacy. We got every requirement done as thorough and expeditious as possible in order to make a stronger argument to the embassy for why we needed to get scheduled for an interview.

In essence we know there are folks that are taking a wait and be called approach and we were going to act and tell approach. Not ask. But tell.

We wanted to show we had our paperwork in order and the only requirement left was the interview. So put the onus on the embassy. Then wrote them emails reminding them we were ready and to ask for next steps.

When we emailed the embassy telling them we had completed the medical, we got a reply that our file was updated and to check the ustraveldocs website. The next day there were two interview slots opened on the site and we booked our interview.

Although I can't prove this, I believe the administrator of that site has the ability to clear an applicant for interview once they deem it necessary. Until then, you will be checking the site in vane. Because until they release you to be able to book an interview nothing will show up.

I think the manner in which you communicate with them also matters. Must be a professional letter that is assertive and written in proper English.

Agree. We got assigned an interview date for the end of the month (!). Quick question, I know you recently had your interview, how long after your interview did you get your visa? TIA! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline
23 minutes ago, sarac4479 said:

Agree. We got assigned an interview date for the end of the month (!). Quick question, I know you recently had your interview, how long after your interview did you get your visa? TIA! 

It took us ten business days.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

My case finally got sent to the embassy on the 26th and the embassy received it today. It says that it’s ready and before it says that an interview date was provided to me by NVC.I haven’t received any date at all. Where would I see the interview date?

3 hours ago, smile101 said:

My case finally got sent to the embassy on the 26th and the embassy received it today. It says that it’s ready and before it says that an interview date was provided to me by NVC.I haven’t received any date at all. Where would I see the interview date?

It’s a generic statement sent to everyone. In reality NVC doesn’t provide a date to K1s, only spouses. Depending on the consulate, either you have to schedule it or they schedule it for you.

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline

We got our interview date finally and I’m here in Afghanistan with my fiancé and his family. Would it be okay and make a good case if I go with him to the interview? And would it be an issue if he says that I’m staying with him and his family here until my departure date back to America? Just need some advice since his interview is on august 11 and we are preparing everything.

Edited by smile101

6 hours ago, smile101 said:

We got our interview date finally and I’m here in Afghanistan with my fiancé and his family. Would it be okay and make a good case if I go with him to the interview? And would it be an issue if he says that I’m staying with him and his family here until my departure date back to America? Just need some advice since his interview is on august 11 and we are preparing everything.

I think those things would actually help. I don’t think they’ll let him enter the building though, I read others post that their fiancé or husband (US citizen) would wait outside and the interviewee would bring the US citizens passport and hand it to the CO and tell him “my fiancé/husband is waiting outside, here’s his/her passport”. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I am panicking. My fiancé just had his interview done but they gave him a yellow form of 221G and went into AP. They didn’t take his passport either 😔😔 what does that mean!??

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline
11 hours ago, smile101 said:

I am panicking. My fiancé just had his interview done but they gave him a yellow form of 221G and went into AP. They didn’t take his passport either 😔😔 what does that mean!??

Did they request some missing paper from him? 

13 hours ago, smile101 said:

That’s typical for Afghanistan, Pakistan, Middle East and North Africa. They do background checks while the case is in AP. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.