M&Y_2019

Does moving to a new state (and new USCIS office) “reset” your place in line for interview?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi all,

We have a filing date for my spouse’s AOS of December 2019. In February (after biometrics) the case was updated to “As of February 10th, we received your case/Ready for Interview to be Scheduled”, etc.

In September, we moved to NJ and submitted the change of address for my spouse and myself as the sponsor. On the USCIS case status website, the AOS status updated to “As of September 2nd, we received your case/Ready for Interview to be Scheduled”.

In between that, it briefly said something like “interview has been de-scheduled”, though we never had gotten an interview date previously. 

Is all that time we waited between February and September now lost, and our place in line reset back to the date the change of address was filed? Or does the new USCIS office take into account the time we waited in the process? 

For example, if we were 60% through the line in Washington DC, would the Newark, New Jersey office position our case approximately 60% through the line for an interview?

Edited by M&Y_2019

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, M&Y_2019 said:

Hi all,

We have a filing date for my spouse’s AOS of December 2019. In February (after biometrics) the case was updated to “As of February 10th, we received your case/Ready for Interview to be Scheduled”, etc.

In September, we moved to NJ and submitted the change of address for my spouse and myself as the sponsor. On the USCIS case status website, the AOS status updated to “As of September 2nd, we received your case/Ready for Interview to be Scheduled”.

In between that, it briefly said something like “interview has been de-scheduled”, though we never had gotten an interview date previously. 

Is all that time we waited between February and September now lost, and our place in line reset back to the date the change of address was filed? Or does the new USCIS office take into account the time we waited in the process? 

For example, if we were 60% through the line in Washington DC, would the Newark, New Jersey office position our case approximately 60% through the line for an interview?

No one knows exactly what happens.

My experience:

I applied in September 2019 in CT, moved to NY in March, had my interview in November. From the September and NYC groups, I noticed that other people also from September and originally from NYC were getting scheduled for similar dates to mine. So it didn't reset my clock.

I also saw people that moved to a quicker office and got scheduled within a week.

Edited by Ayrton

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

yeah, I figured it wouldn’t completely reset our waiting time, though it does seem like there’s not a lot of information available on how much a delay this causes. 

I’m not sure why they needed to update our case status to “As of September, we have received your case and are ready to schedule an interview” when it previously said February. That’s what got me concerned that our place in line was set back seven months.

Edited by M&Y_2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.