Abcd1234

Health insurance for immigrating parents

32 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ColumbusKat said:

Also another suggestion, I'm not sure what country you immigrated from, but if for whatever reason SSA isn't helpful, maybe call your local "X cultural" organization and see if they have a social worker or anyone like that that could help you figure out medicare for your parents.  It is normally free, will speak whatever language you speak if English isn't your first language, and could even help explain it to your parents.  If you are from a latin country, a lot of Catholic churches could probably connect you.  

No idea if you will need that help, but just an idea if after you call SSA you still feel like you need some guidance.

From Pakistan,  what is x cultral ? Any phone number?

58 minutes ago, ColumbusKat said:

Not that I think it should really be the #1 deciding factor in immigrating, but it is something to try to fully understand.  Depending on your personal financial situation it could very well be a top deciding factor. 

I do know a number of people where healthcare costs is the #1 reason they have not sponsored their parents. And these are not people on the breadline, but people who have done a proper assessment of likely future costs for aging parents. When you are close to retirement age, that is close to the age that a hitherto healthy person can become suddenly very unhealthy, and things can decline fast, and without decent health insurance you can be bankrupted (best case). An example is renal failure that can become apparent in people who have not appeared ill at all for years and can be hugely expensive if uninsured/not fully covered by Medicare . Unfortunately for all that is great about the US, this is also a country where sometimes people die because they can’t afford healthcare. Giving up a universal healthcare system when you are elderly is a big decision. 

13 minutes ago, Abcd1234 said:

Ofcourse we will be paying everything,  income tax. And all. He will have proper w2 , paystubs with every thing deducted.

I probably will set his income around $1000 a month so taxes won't be that high. 

he won’t have much social security income from that either, probably like $200 a month, presumably you will effectively be his retirement funding /pension plan? 

Edited by SusieQQQ

For "X cultural organization" I just meant like X=whatever culture you're from.  So if there is a pakistani or muslim or desi/south asian organization in your city then you might try call them if you aren't able to get any answers from SSA (although SSA should be able to help you.  You can google asian cultural organization in whatever city you live in as a start. But that was just an idea if you still feel like after talking to SSA you aren't sure about things. 

18 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I do know a number of people where healthcare costs is the #1 reason they have not sponsored their parents. And these are not people on the breadline, but people who have done a proper assessment of likely future costs for aging parents. When you are close to retirement age, that is close to the age that a hitherto healthy person can become suddenly very unhealthy, and things can decline fast, and without decent health insurance you can be bankrupted (best case). An example is renal failure that can become apparent in people who have not appeared ill at all for years and can be hugely expensive if uninsured/not fully covered by Medicare . Unfortunately for all that is great about the US, this is also a country where sometimes people die because they can’t afford healthcare. Giving up a universal healthcare system when you are elderly is a big decision. 

he won’t have much social security income from that either, probably like $200 a month, presumably you will effectively be his retirement funding /pension plan? 

I don't mind normal living costs. I am worried about paying for what if big medical bill comes up. I would happily be taking care of them even if they don't get retirement  , and yes you are right they wont be getting much.

18 minutes ago, Abcd1234 said:

I don't mind normal living costs. I am worried about paying for what if big medical bill comes up. I would happily be taking care of them even if they don't get retirement  , and yes you are right they wont be getting much.

This is exactly what you should be worried about, so good you are asking these questions. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

When shove comes to push this is all about money, sadly most Parents do not have this level of resource, if they have and want to move go for it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, zafi said:

hello guys, is that mandatory for us to purchase private health insurance for our parents to even get approved for immigrant visa from US Embassy?should we purchase health insurance once they get scheduled for interview?private health insurance is expensive

Health care is expensive, how do they intend paying for Doctors, Hospital Drugs etc?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

37 minutes ago, zafi said:

its good question how do they intend to pay for doctors, medication after coming to US?but if you have any info then please answer my question

? That’s why they need health insurance. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, zafi said:

its good question how do they intend to pay for doctors, medication after coming to US?but if you have any info then please answer my question

If not Insurance then Cash, Credit or Check? What other options are there?

13 hours ago, zafi said:

hello guys, is that mandatory for us to purchase private health insurance for our parents to even get approved for immigrant visa from US Embassy?should we purchase health insurance once they get scheduled for interview?private health insurance is expensive

Well, what is your plan otherwise?  Most retired people in the US are covered by Medicare, a program they worked hard for and paid into.  New immigrants who are elderly are not eligible for Medicare.

20 hours ago, zafi said:

did they make it compulsory for US national son/daughter to purchase private health insurance for their parents even before they arrive in US even before attending their interview in US Embassy?

I think insurance should be purchased after the visa is approved (just in case, since it’s may not be refundable if visa gets denied) but having documents showing insurance quotes is good to have, at least in my opinion. This is what I’m planning to do for my parent. I’m considering buying a plan from marketplace. At this moment there isn’t much information available on ir-5 visa interviews because almost right after new public charge changes took place the ban was issued. 

Timeline

Actually your plan makes sense, they come here, you employ them for 10 years and they get Health Insurance through that and then they get whatever is available in the way of Medicare.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.