Abcd1234

Health insurance for immigrating parents

32 posts in this topic

Anyone who know please help, thank you so much.

So it seems like some rules have changed in past 2 years and we are required to buy health insurance for parents when we apply for adjustment of status???

I have few questions looking at long term..

1)At what stage they are legally required to have insurance,  as soon as we apply for i130, after i130 is approved or at the time of interview ?

2) If they are working full time,  and getting health insurance through market place with advance premiums, would it hurt their process? Anyone got denied for this? Or any experience with this?

3) If my parents work 10 years in USA (which they are planning to do),  and by the time they complete 10 year work they become 73 years old( my father will be after 10 years, my mom would be less than 65) , would they be eligible for Medicare at that point? Or you have to complete 10 years work before reaching 65 to be fully eligible? 

I want to know these things before i apply for them so i can make plan ahead of time for their health and for immigration process as well.

Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

1   Marketplace health care does not hurt

2  need to buy it for them when they come to USA / you should inquire about the costs before their interview and show you can afford premiums (this is the rule that bounces back and forth but be prepared for documents showing costs to show you can afford it

3.  10 years of work to qualify for SS income / BTW the medicare doesn't kick in till 6 months after SS benefits 

4  a person can start claiming SS benefits at age 62 (with qualified work of 40 quarters -10 years) but benefits are decreased by a percentage if not full retirement age

The full retirement age is 66 if you were born from 1943 to 1954. The full retirement age increases gradually if you were born from 1955 to 1960 until it reaches 67. For anyone born 1960 or later, full retirement benefits are payable at age 67.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/credits.html

Filed: Timeline

Social Security and Medicare are two different things.

If an LPR has been in the US for 5 years and is also age 65, they can buy into Medicare. It just won't be free if they haven't worked 10 years. But cost is reduced for any years of work they did do. Medicare age is 65 regardless of the year of birth. 

"Retirement age" is for Social Security income which is dependent on year of birth and years worked. 

1 hour ago, databit said:

Social Security and Medicare are two different things.

If an LPR has been in the US for 5 years and is also age 65, they can buy into Medicare. It just won't be free if they haven't worked 10 years. But cost is reduced for any years of work they did do. Medicare age is 65 regardless of the year of birth. 

"Retirement age" is for Social Security income which is dependent on year of birth and years worked. 

So since my dad ( no work history so far in usa) would be 63 when he gets his LPR, and i want to know would medicare ever get free for him. Even after 10 years if he work 10 years? So for example if he work from age 63 to age 73, would he be eligible of Medicare once he completes his 10 years of work?

Or once you cross 65 and don't have 10 years of work, you just dont qualify for it even if you complete 10 years of work later on?

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

After 5 years as a LPR he can buy into medicare.

Can be difficult for someone of that age to find work, does he have some particular skill set likely to be in demand?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Abcd1234 said:

So since my dad ( no work history so far in usa) would be 63 when he gets his LPR, and i want to know would medicare ever get free for him. Even after 10 years if he work 10 years? So for example if he work from age 63 to age 73, would he be eligible of Medicare once he completes his 10 years of work?

Or once you cross 65 and don't have 10 years of work, you just dont qualify for it even if you complete 10 years of work later on?

Thank you

Yes, Medicare Part A would be free after 10 years of work. After he has a green card for 5 years, he can get Medicare at a reduced cost if he has worked at a job that pays into Medicare. He will already be 65 so no problem there.

Part B is not free for anyone. Right now it's about $148 per month. You can read about it here:

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/medicare-costs-at-a-glance

Also very important: Medicare A & B together only pay 80% of medical costs. He would either need to buy an additional "medi-gap" policy or join a Medicare senior health plan like an HMO if he wants full coverage.

Yes, it's a mess. And it may change in the next few years, hopefully.

Edited by databit

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

After 5 years as a LPR he can buy into medicare.

Can be difficult for someone of that age to find work, does he have some particular skill set likely to be in demand?

Working at my restaurant . I dont need much work from him just oversight,  someone i can trust, and i can write check every month for him and have w2 for him. I just want to make sure though he will be medically covered when he is old

Edited by Abcd1234

1 hour ago, databit said:

Yes, Medicare Part A would be free after 10 years of work. After he has a green card for 5 years, he can get Medicare at a reduced cost if he has worked at a job that pays into Medicare. He will already be 65 so no problem there.

Part B is not free for anyone. Right now it's about $148 per month. You can read about it here:

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/medicare-costs-at-a-glance

Also very important: Medicare A & B together only pay 80% of medical costs. He would either need to buy an additional "medi-gap" policy or join a Medicare senior health plan like an HMO if he wants full coverage.

Yes, it's a mess. And it may change in the next few years, hopefully.

I read that there is penalty if you dont opt in Medicare at age 65, so are you 100% that he can opt in plan A for free at age 73? Because I want to think about it first before i even apply for green card and their life in usa.

These are great questions to ask, but they are very particular to your situation and unfortunately medicare is very complicated.  I would recommend making a list of all your questions (about costs, timelines, etc) and calling SSA and asking these questions.  In my job I call often with clients (many who are immigrants and are unsure of how much time/credits they have) and we normally always receive very kind and thorough service.  You can tell them your situation and ask them all of these questions so you can be prepared.  Of course in 10 years who knows what medicare will look like, but it's good to know what your situation may be. 

The national number is 1-800-772-1213.  You can also look up your local office and call them (sometimes a little faster).  Here is the website to find your office https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp#officeResults

Also, just an observation, but it seems like you keep mentioning "free".  Unfortunately, there is nothing really free about medicare typically.  I'm not sure what country your parents are from, but I think sometimes it is quite hard for people to grasp how expensive medical care truly is in the US.  Like someone mentioned earlier, part B is $148 currently and will most likely be used by a 73-year old quite a bit (it is what covers doctor visits, lab tests, etc), and then you also have to pay 20% of any visits/labs (per my understanding).

Not that I think it should really be the #1 deciding factor in immigrating, but it is something to try to fully understand.  Depending on your personal financial situation it could very well be a top deciding factor. 

28 minutes ago, ColumbusKat said:

Also, just an observation, but it seems like you keep mentioning "free".  Unfortunately, there is nothing really free about medicare typically.  I'm not sure what country your parents are from, but I think sometimes it is quite hard for people to grasp how expensive medical care truly is in the US.  Like someone mentioned earlier, part B is $148 currently and will most likely be used by a 73-year old quite a bit (it is what covers doctor visits, lab tests, etc), and then you also have to pay 20% of any visits/labs (per my understanding).

Not that I think it should really be the #1 deciding factor in immigrating, but it is something to try to fully understand.  Depending on your personal financial situation it could very well be a top deciding factor. 

I am thinking to call them too, but i think they would usually ask for ssn ? To pull record and see?

I don't know if they will be providing legal suggestions.

Do you know what person or service can usually tell this apart from ssa. Can cpa office or some lawyer , i mean who usually deal with stuff like this?

Also by free i mean the free part 80%, i understand it is not 100% free, but what i was trying to find that if he will have to pay for that 80% or whatever percentage it is or will it be free. I know it is very expensive for medical here and thats why i am researching it first before I even apply for i130. I dont only want him to get PR, i also want to see if i can afford it all, and i dont think i can afford medical bills if he is not covered and is very old. He does have free medical back home but my parents are lonely there. If nothing works out i may move there one day.

I will try calling ssa though Hopefully I can get some nice person.

Thanks

Edited by Abcd1234

You can definitely call them and just tell whoever you speak with you know "hey, my parents are older and most likely moving to the US and I have some questions about their future eligibility for medicare" and somebody should be able to help you. Just let them know it's hypothetical still, but you're expecting your father to reach 10 credits by 73, has a job lined up, etc. They will understand since it's all still hypothetical that they won't have ssn or anything else (so there is no record for them to look up specific to your parents). It's not a legal suggestion, it's just information they are sharing. 

You could talk to a lot of different people about medicare, but I think it's always best to hear things straight from the horses mouth.  So calling SSA directly will get you the most up-to-date info. 

Also another suggestion, I'm not sure what country you immigrated from, but if for whatever reason SSA isn't helpful, maybe call your local "X cultural" organization and see if they have a social worker or anyone like that that could help you figure out medicare for your parents.  It is normally free, will speak whatever language you speak if English isn't your first language, and could even help explain it to your parents.  If you are from a latin country, a lot of Catholic churches could probably connect you.  

No idea if you will need that help, but just an idea if after you call SSA you still feel like you need some guidance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Medicare and social security are something you are paying into while you are working .  If he is working for your business are you paying these withholdings ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

6 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Medicare and social security are something you are paying into while you are working .  If he is working for your business are you paying these withholdings ?

Ofcourse we will be paying everything,  income tax. And all. He will have proper w2 , paystubs with every thing deducted.

I probably will set his income around $1000 a month so taxes won't be that high. 

Edited by Abcd1234

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.