15 posts in this topic

Hello. My wife came to california yesterday on CR1 visa, but i am completely clueless on what to do next? She was told at the embassy that she will get her SSN and green card withing 4 weeks, but she wan't to get a job and thats impossible without SSN. Do I just go straight to SS office and get a temporary paper that shows her number? Any help will be great. Thanks

Actually a SSN number is not required to start work, that's a common misconception. Unfortunately its a misconception often held by employers!

Going to the SS office wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Actually a SSN number is not required to start work, that's a common misconception. Unfortunately its a misconception often held by employers!

So would I need a work authorization form?

I'm not that familiar with the CR-1 visa, but isn't it the work authorisation itself?

So would I need a work authorization form?

I'm not that familiar with the CR-1 visa, but isn't it the work authorisation itself?

I'm not even sure now, I'm so confused with all these forms. all I know is that she doesn't have to apply for adjustment of status because CR1 is a green card visa. I just want to know what to do, now that she is here. So freaking confusing......

I'm not even sure now, I'm so confused with all these forms. all I know is that she doesn't have to apply for adjustment of status because CR1 is a green card visa. I just want to know what to do, now that she is here. So freaking confusing......

Yes, I wish someone in here had experience with the CR-1 visa. I don't know if it in itself meets the I-9 requirements for work authorisation. If it doesn't then your wife will have to wait for her Green Card to arrive. What I'm not convinced about it that she will automatically get a SS card as well, I though you had to go to the SSA to sort this out after arrival, or was this sorted out before she arrived?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

In our case my husband had checked for his ss card to arrive at our home. He arrived and about 4 weeks maybe a few days longer his ss card arrived in the mail and his greencard the next day. We waited on the card for him to apply for work but my understanding is it is up to the employer if you present the visa in passport for them if they will accept employment until the card arrives.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Yes, I wish someone in here had experience with the CR-1 visa. I don't know if it in itself meets the I-9 requirements for work authorisation. If it doesn't then your wife will have to wait for her Green Card to arrive. What I'm not convinced about it that she will automatically get a SS card as well, I though you had to go to the SSA to sort this out after arrival, or was this sorted out before she arrived?

she told me when she arrived that consular officer said whe will get her green card and SSN in the mail within a month. But she wants to start working and I'm sure she would need to provide paperwork, I just don't know what exactly. Well, thanks for your help. We'll visit SS office tomorrow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

she told me when she arrived that consular officer said whe will get her green card and SSN in the mail within a month. But she wants to start working and I'm sure she would need to provide paperwork, I just don't know what exactly. Well, thanks for your help. We'll visit SS office tomorrow

Your wife is not in the save system and it can take two weeks from the time of POE before SS office has any records on her.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

The visa in the passport with the stamp from the POE is the temporary Green Card, it is good for one year. She will receive the 2 year GC in the mail in a month or so. So it is nothing else she should do, only to wait a little bit for the SSN, if it doesn't arrive she must go to the local Office to request one.

They told me the same at the Embassy about my SSN that arrives in the mail in 4 weeks. This week is the 4th one I am here in the States, if it doesn't come by Friday I go to the local Office to request one. I waited 4 weeks because I didn't want to end up with 2 SSN.

Lots of jobs require to have the SSN card when you get the job ;)......

Good luck to you :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Lots of jobs require to have the SSN card when you get the job ;) ......

Yes, but critically it is not a requirement of the I-9 to have a SS number/card. For most Americans its the way they prove they can work (DL + SS card), hence why there is an misconception that a SS Card is needed for employment.

Pursuading an employer of this can be difficult though.

Filed: Timeline

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

Answer "Yes" to Questions 33a. and 33b.on Form DS-230

She will then need to allow at least 3 weeks to see if the Enumeration At Entry process works. If she doesn't receive the SSN card within 3 weeks or at least by time she receives her I-551 card if you wait a little longer, it's time to head on down to your friendly neighborhood SSA office.

Find office:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

If she has been assigned an SSN the office can provide her with the number. However, it is has been over 14 days from the day the SSN was assigned and she haven't received the card she will probably need to apply for a replacement card.

Take proof of age, identity and work authorized alien status. Proof of age is not needed for a replacement card.

Birth certificate, passport and I-551 card or MRIV with temporary I-551 language should be enough to take into the SSA office.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence

B. KINDS OF EVIDENCE ESTABLISHING LAPR STATUS

-- I-551, Permanent Resident Card

-- Machine Readable Immigrant Visa with Temporary I-551 Language

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number ("A" number) as

the "Registration Number" in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

"If the applicant has no immediate need for the SSN and the translation can be done promptly or the foreign language document is the only evidence available; have the document translated by an authorized translator and use the document as evidence. If the applicant has a pressing need for an SSN, and evidence other than the foreign language document is available; request other evidence and process the application without the foreign language document."

RM 00203.040 Reviewing SSN Evidence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203040#B3

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Primary Evidence of identity for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes MRIV or temporary I-551 stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

SSA will not accept an application filing receipt or notice of action in place of an immigration document.

Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at one of our offices.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Note: Individuals that live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY and Las Vegas,NV areas must apply in person at a Card Center:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...hp?p_faqid=1412

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051002025945/.../lnx/0100203735

For applications submitted after 01/06/2007 SSA offices can submit an additional electronic verification request, that in most cases eliminates the need for a Form G-845 to be sent. However, the response to the additional electronic verification request can be to send copies of the immigration document(s) under cover of Form G-845.

If your status does not verify through the initial SAVE request be sure that the secondary request has been made and return to the SSA office no more than once a week to see if the SSA office has received a response from the secondary verification request. If the G-845 is sent wait two weeks and start checking once a week for a response. Be sure to take your document whenever going into the SSA office.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the application.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...=129227,00.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Going to the SS office wouldn't be a bad idea.

It(SSAN) is not a required form of ID to complete the I-9, however a SSN or SSAN (Social Security Account Number) or Green Card number is required for you to be legally employed and get paid.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ukraine

Marriage : 2006-12-12

I130/CR1

I-130 Sent : 2006-12-19

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-01-06

I-130 Approved : 2007-04-19

NVC Received : 2007-05-01

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : May 14 2007

Pay I-864 Bill Received and Marked Paid May 30 2007 Shorcut not used..but one $70 fee paid for both CR1 and CR2

Receive I-864 Package : June 4 2007

I-864 Receivd at NVC June 7 2007 Used Shortcut Successfully I-864 Approved 6-18-07

Return Completed DS-3032 : Three failed e-mail attempts DS-3032 received 8 June 2007 Completed June 11, 2007

Receive IV Bill : Generated 6-18-07 Received June 29, 2007

Pay IV Bill : Paid 2 July 2007, Posted at NVC 9 July, 2007

Receive Instruction Package : 16 July DS 230 submitted using Shortcuts

Case Completed at NVC : 15 August 2007

NVC Left : 12 Sep 2007

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 17 Oct 2007

Visa Received : 17 Oct 2007

US Entry : est 3 Nov 2007 @ 7:22 pm LosAngeles

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 121

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQxJkRhdGUrb2YrSTEzMCtOT0ExJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmbCYwJjYmMSYyMDA3JjEyJjAmNDU0OTA2MDAxMTc5ODgyOTU4Lic=.gif

THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS NO...UNTIL YOU ASK!

Michael & Elena

Bakesfield, CA

It(SSAN) is not a required form of ID to complete the I-9, however a SSN or SSAN (Social Security Account Number) or Green Card number is required for you to be legally employed and get paid.

Perhaps (evidence/link please?), but usually the SS system can provide a SS in a few of weeks after starting work. My current employers employ people with no SSNs all the time, because a lot of people come here on J-1s to work. They start work the day they arrive, but usually don't have SS numbers until many weeks later. It doesn't cause any issues and I've never heard of anyone not getting paid because of it.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Hello. My wife came to california yesterday on CR1 visa, but i am completely clueless on what to do next? She was told at the embassy that she will get her SSN and green card withing 4 weeks, but she wan't to get a job and thats impossible without SSN. Do I just go straight to SS office and get a temporary paper that shows her number? Any help will be great. Thanks

I waited 4 weeks and it didn't arrive in the mail so I went today to the local Social Security Office and I applied for a SSN. The lady there checked in the system and she didn't find me so she accepted my application. I should receive my card in 5 days. :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.