harden4mvp

IRS processing time on paper returns with W7/ITIN applications

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I filed a paper return to IRS (Austin TX) together with my wife's ITIN application (W-7 form).

We filed around end of July (slightly late but we had a refund so hopefully it should be ok)

We received my wife's ITIN approval about 3 weeks ago, but there is no news on the refund yet. Anyone also had the same filing method this year got their refund? How long did your case take?

Thank you! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, believe it or not but there is still huge backlog for paper-filed returns at the IRS. Two separate IRS departments handle ITIN applications and Tax Returns. So ITIN department approved your ITIN application and forwarded the application (w/ the ITIN) to the Tax Return department for processing. Unfortunately, you were put at the back of the backlog at the Tax Return section. You'll have to continue waiting to get your refund. Blame COVID-19 for all this of course.

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, nastra30 said:

Op, believe it or not but there is still huge backlog for paper-filed returns at the IRS. Two separate IRS departments handle ITIN applications and Tax Returns. So ITIN department approved your ITIN application and forwarded the application (w/ the ITIN) to the Tax Return department for processing. Unfortunately, you were put at the back of the backlog at the Tax Return section. You'll have to continue waiting to get your refund. Blame COVID-19 for all this of course.

Yeah, nothing much can be done other than waiting. It's almost time to file 2020 tax and still no progress on the 2019 return, sigh...........

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 6:32 PM, Mani Sekar said:

Op - I am in same boat as you are. Any latest update? I got my spouse's ITIN in September but still haven't got my refund for 2019 yet. Did you try viewing your online transcripts or where is my refund tool? 

No news either 

On 2/8/2021 at 1:22 PM, Malik16 said:

Hi,

could you please let me know, how did you certified your foreign spouse passport .

thanks 

You can use an Acceptance Agent authorized by IRS

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.