Manileña Heart

Latest Travel Requirements/Guide to the Philippines

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello and TIA😀

I am booked for a flight towards the end of this month to the Philippines from the US and I have a Philippine passport. I’m not an OFW.

-Can someone pls point me to the complete list of requirements in relation to the Covid restrictions? My destination is Manila.

-I’ve researched but have gotten confused about whether to fill out the Padlab online form or the Red Cross form, and more importantly when to fill it out. Can I fill it out as early as now? Is the Red Cross form only for OFWs?

-How do I prebook a NAIA airport covid test?

Thank you so very much!

5 hours ago, user555 said:

look at the Flicks1998 post

Also, just look at the last five pages of this forum. There have been several posts with the same situation you're in. Just read them. 

Last week I arrived into Manila, actually november 29th but I am a US citizen and not a Filipino passport holder.  I think the question will come down to whether you are required to pay for your COVID test or not.  Most OFWs this is free but if you are not considered an OFW you may have to pay.  I registered for the Red Cross test, paid 4000p.  The Red Cross test appeared to be a different test then what 98% of the plane was getting when we arrived Terminal 2.  If you have to pay for a test, do the red cross one as I believe there were only about 10 of us on the plane that had paid for this and it was quick, although I sat in the area for the other test and wasted 30 minutes.  If you do the red cross test, you tell them as soon as you get off the plane into the terminal you need to go to the red cross area.  Do not follow the crowds like I did.  You will go to a different gate and the whole process takes 5 minutes.  The other test that most of the plane was getting will take you between 10 minutes to over an hour.  If your doing that test, dont sit in the back of the plane :)  Cause if you are in the back, you will be the last to test.

Which airline are you flying?  I flew PAL but I can give you more advice once I know which airline.  

If you have other questions let me know.  As mentioned I arrived Nov 29th to Manila and my process should be the same process in place today.  However, it is always best to reconfirm everything just before you go as things can change in an instant. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

7 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

Last week I arrived into Manila, actually november 29th but I am a US citizen and not a Filipino passport holder.  I think the question will come down to whether you are required to pay for your COVID test or not.  Most OFWs this is free but if you are not considered an OFW you may have to pay.  I registered for the Red Cross test, paid 4000p.  The Red Cross test appeared to be a different test then what 98% of the plane was getting when we arrived Terminal 2.  If you have to pay for a test, do the red cross one as I believe there were only about 10 of us on the plane that had paid for this and it was quick, although I sat in the area for the other test and wasted 30 minutes.  If you do the red cross test, you tell them as soon as you get off the plane into the terminal you need to go to the red cross area.  Do not follow the crowds like I did.  You will go to a different gate and the whole process takes 5 minutes.  The other test that most of the plane was getting will take you between 10 minutes to over an hour.  If your doing that test, dont sit in the back of the plane :)  Cause if you are in the back, you will be the last to test.

Which airline are you flying?  I flew PAL but I can give you more advice once I know which airline.  

If you have other questions let me know.  As mentioned I arrived Nov 29th to Manila and my process should be the same process in place today.  However, it is always best to reconfirm everything just before you go as things can change in an instant. 

Flicks 1998, thank you sooooo much for your generous reply. Thank you to the others who responded too. I ended up filling up the form of Padlab and Red Cross online because I watched a blog that said that all other non PAL airlines flights should register with Padlab. I was able to pay through the Red Cross website as well. I read that I should download the Traze app and register upon arrival. I’ve also prebooked a hotel already which is apparently required as well. I think I’m all set in terms of the requirements. Thank you for the great tip to ask for the Red Cross area so I don’t waste time. Have an awesome day😊

8 minutes ago, Manileña Heart said:

Flicks 1998, thank you sooooo much for your generous reply. Thank you to the others who responded too. I ended up filling up the form of Padlab and Red Cross online because I watched a blog that said that all other non PAL airlines flights should register with Padlab. I was able to pay through the Red Cross website as well. I read that I should download the Traze app and register upon arrival. I’ve also prebooked a hotel already which is apparently required as well. I think I’m all set in terms of the requirements. Thank you for the great tip to ask for the Red Cross area so I don’t waste time. Have an awesome day😊

Just FYI on the Traze app.  You may see this at the airline check in to download but when I arrived in Manila there was no mention of it.  However I think Traze was to be implemented on November 28th and I came in on the 29th.  Maybe they are using it now.  When you get off the plane, double check you can use the Red Cross testing location in the terminal.  I paid directly through the PI Red Cross site and when I showed them my QR code at the airport, thats when they told me I had to go to the Red Cross area.  It looks like the 98% of the plane I was on was for Padlab.  

When you arrive Manila the Coast Guard will board the plane and give a long speech with tons of instructions.  Dont worry about everything they say as you wont remember it anyway.  Its information overload.  There are many people in the terminal to guide you on each step and they are very helpful.  There are ALOT of steps, but everything is orderly and help is always just a few feet away.  Dont worry about it at all.

The hotel you booked, is it one of the approved hotels required for quarantine?  It must be one of those or you will need to book into one that is approved.  That is because the ones approved are set up to handle the special quarantine requirements.  The link of the approved hotels is here:  http://quarantine.doh.gov.ph/facilities-inspected-as-of-june-11-2020/

There is actually a desk once you pick up your luggage and go through customs that will look at your reservation and make sure the hotel is approved.  Its one of the steps.  But again, dont worry about it as people will guide you along.  For your transportation, you will have the option of the yellow taxi meter or the fixed over priced vans.  Either one is a rip off as it appears the yellow taxis are all rigging their meters, or most of them.  The yellow taxi I got, the meter was so fast it was almost non-stop changing.  I told the taxi driver if hes going to rig it, at least make it believable.  I told him to turn it off and I just paid him a fix fee that I determined since I know the rates.  I can tell you about how much the yellow taxi should be depending on your quarantine hotel location.  Also, thats why taking the fix rate van may be less hassle.  

Enjoy your trip.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

3 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

Just FYI on the Traze app.  You may see this at the airline check in to download but when I arrived in Manila there was no mention of it.  However I think Traze was to be implemented on November 28th and I came in on the 29th.  Maybe they are using it now.  When you get off the plane, double check you can use the Red Cross testing location in the terminal.  I paid directly through the PI Red Cross site and when I showed them my QR code at the airport, thats when they told me I had to go to the Red Cross area.  It looks like the 98% of the plane I was on was for Padlab.  

When you arrive Manila the Coast Guard will board the plane and give a long speech with tons of instructions.  Dont worry about everything they say as you wont remember it anyway.  Its information overload.  There are many people in the terminal to guide you on each step and they are very helpful.  There are ALOT of steps, but everything is orderly and help is always just a few feet away.  Dont worry about it at all.

The hotel you booked, is it one of the approved hotels required for quarantine?  It must be one of those or you will need to book into one that is approved.  That is because the ones approved are set up to handle the special quarantine requirements.  The link of the approved hotels is here:  http://quarantine.doh.gov.ph/facilities-inspected-as-of-june-11-2020/

There is actually a desk once you pick up your luggage and go through customs that will look at your reservation and make sure the hotel is approved.  Its one of the steps.  But again, dont worry about it as people will guide you along.  For your transportation, you will have the option of the yellow taxi meter or the fixed over priced vans.  Either one is a rip off as it appears the yellow taxis are all rigging their meters, or most of them.  The yellow taxi I got, the meter was so fast it was almost non-stop changing.  I told the taxi driver if hes going to rig it, at least make it believable.  I told him to turn it off and I just paid him a fix fee that I determined since I know the rates.  I can tell you about how much the yellow taxi should be depending on your quarantine hotel location.  Also, thats why taking the fix rate van may be less hassle.  

Enjoy your trip.  

Yes I already downloaded the Traze app on my phone. I’m hoping I can just start filling it once I arrive at NAIA. 

I also have my QR code already via email from Red Cross. So yeah I’ll have it ready for scanning. 

I did choose an accredited hotel, thank you for the tip. How much is the fair charge from NAIA to Bayview Park Hotel in Manila for the yellow metered taxi?

Thank you Flicks!!

2 hours ago, Manileña Heart said:

Yes I already downloaded the Traze app on my phone. I’m hoping I can just start filling it once I arrive at NAIA. 

I also have my QR code already via email from Red Cross. So yeah I’ll have it ready for scanning. 

I did choose an accredited hotel, thank you for the tip. How much is the fair charge from NAIA to Bayview Park Hotel in Manila for the yellow metered taxi?

Thank you Flicks!!

I’m not sure the terminal your flying into or the time of day but by the Yellow airport taxis it should be between 250-350p.  The range accounts for the terminal and the time you arrive due to traffic conditions. If there is extremely heavy traffic you could push up to the 400p range. 

If you do have a fast meter your going to be at 600p+ with lite to moderate traffic.  With the taxi I had I would have easily ended up at 1500p+ If I hadn’t said something.  If your meter is spinning like a hamster wheel as mine was if you just give 350p at your destination and walk away you’ll be fine. That’s more than fair. You’ll have people say “oh that’s only $2 or $4 or $10” or whatever small amount compared to costs in the US, but it’s not so much about the money but getting these guys to cut this practice out. I always use Grab when arriving NAIA but that is not an option nowadays at the airport. 

if you decide to take the “meter” taxi you will receive a slip of paper with your destination and the taxi license number on it. If the driver asks you for that paper DO NOT give it to them. That paper has the number to text if you have problems. You give that paper to them your out of luck if you have issues. Also they will want you to put your luggage in the trunk. Don’t do that unless you absolutely have too. Put it in the back seat if you can. This way at destination you can just take it out of the car, put the money in the drivers hand and walk into the hotel. Take a picture of the registration number that’s on the car if you need too. And video the meter if you want. 

Threaten the driver you’ll report them if you have too. I actually reported a yellow airport taxi driver 3-4 years ago and I texted the number on the sheet I was given. They took my claim dead serious and The driver lost his job. However he kept showing up in the lobby of my condo each morning pleading for me to help him get his job back as it was his livelihood and he had a family to support. I eventually relented not so much to help him but because he knew where I lived and I walked to work daily and I didn’t want anything to happen to myself, my son or my gf at the time. The point of the story is if you threaten the driver to report them, they will stop ripping you off. 

Edited by flicks1998

On 12/11/2020 at 6:16 PM, flicks1998 said:

I’m not sure the terminal your flying into or the time of day but by the Yellow airport taxis it should be between 250-350p.  The range accounts for the terminal and the time you arrive due to traffic conditions. If there is extremely heavy traffic you could push up to the 400p range. 

If you do have a fast meter your going to be at 600p+ with lite to moderate traffic.  With the taxi I had I would have easily ended up at 1500p+ If I hadn’t said something.  If your meter is spinning like a hamster wheel as mine was if you just give 350p at your destination and walk away you’ll be fine. That’s more than fair. You’ll have people say “oh that’s only $2 or $4 or $10” or whatever small amount compared to costs in the US, but it’s not so much about the money but getting these guys to cut this practice out. I always use Grab when arriving NAIA but that is not an option nowadays at the airport. 

if you decide to take the “meter” taxi you will receive a slip of paper with your destination and the taxi license number on it. If the driver asks you for that paper DO NOT give it to them. That paper has the number to text if you have problems. You give that paper to them your out of luck if you have issues. Also they will want you to put your luggage in the trunk. Don’t do that unless you absolutely have too. Put it in the back seat if you can. This way at destination you can just take it out of the car, put the money in the drivers hand and walk into the hotel. Take a picture of the registration number that’s on the car if you need too. And video the meter if you want. 

Threaten the driver you’ll report them if you have too. I actually reported a yellow airport taxi driver 3-4 years ago and I texted the number on the sheet I was given. They took my claim dead serious and The driver lost his job. However he kept showing up in the lobby of my condo each morning pleading for me to help him get his job back as it was his livelihood and he had a family to support. I eventually relented not so much to help him but because he knew where I lived and I walked to work daily and I didn’t want anything to happen to myself, my son or my gf at the time. The point of the story is if you threaten the driver to report them, they will stop ripping you off. 

Thank you for the additional info and tips Flicks!!! You’ve been sooooo helpful😊Based on your advice, I will take the yellow cab and pay P500 enough to cover the tip I hope. 

3 hours ago, Manileña Heart said:

Thank you for the additional info and tips Flicks!!! You’ve been sooooo helpful😊Based on your advice, I will take the yellow cab and pay P500 enough to cover the tip I hope. 

Just go by the meter and if it ends outside of the range I gave your best to just give the amount on the very high side to be safe. I factored in some cushion on that range to not cause an issue with the taxi. If the meter happens to say 300, don’t give 500. Also you don’t need to tip. Generally just round up and that’s the tip. If the meter says 283p just give 300p. That’s how it’s done here.  When In Rome...........  Restaurant bills just leave the loose change. In fact there will may be a service charge already in the bill. The whole notion of tipping has grown out of control in the US. Now even Subway or fast food workers want tips. I have no idea when that started. My advise is follow local tipping customs and not ones from your home country. If you leave 20% tip in a restaurant here people just think your a fool with your money.   But it is your money to spend how you want, but that’s the perception here. :)

On 12/17/2020 at 2:20 PM, flicks1998 said:

The whole notion of tipping has grown out of control in the US. Now even Subway or fast food workers want tips. I have no idea when that started.

Or to tip for a coffee (Starbucks). Also when I was younger I remember 15% was a standard tip and of course you could give more or less depending on the service received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.