Myramatters

Proof of Marriage: Chat/Call Screenshots

27 posts in this topic

Hello when you take screenshots of call/messages should phone number of spouse be visible? The only way the number is visible on whatsapp is if I take off my husband's name. If there is a phone number and no name, will embassy be ok with that? Please advise. What have others showed in their screenshots: name or number? Thanks 

When I did screenshots of my conversations with my then fiance for my K-1, no the number didn't show. It didn't matter and I didn't have any issues.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Myramatters said:

Hello when you take screenshots of call/messages should phone number of spouse be visible? The only way the number is visible on whatsapp is if I take off my husband's name. If there is a phone number and no name, will embassy be ok with that? Please advise. What have others showed in their screenshots: name or number? Thanks 

I don't see how having phone numbers on the screen shots would be meaningful.   

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I don't see how having phone numbers on the screen shots would be meaningful.   

I understand that it can be stronger proof with phone number because it shows that the messages were sent to the same number the applicant used on their documents. But I also don't want it to look weird if embassy is expecting name to be there so thats why I asked here what others did.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Myramatters said:

I understand that it can be stronger proof with phone number because it shows that the messages were sent to the same number the applicant used on their documents. But I also don't want it to look weird if embassy is expecting name to be there so thats why I asked here what others did.. 

Do you have a reference which states they need numbers on screen shots?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

for me & my wife i had over 8 months of whatsapp msgs. I copy/pasted  msgs in Microsoft Word file with small caption under each screenshot explaining context (since chat was in foreign language). random 3-4 msg per month. I tried to select ones with picture sharing, like if i was outside shoping n found something cool or we shared photo of food we made, or something showing, natural human conversation) .

NOTE on i130 (ONLINE APPLYING) they don't accept microsoft word for uploading documents & file has to be 6mb. More details on how to get around dilemma see my post

Edited by DoodBoy

2 hours ago, DoodBoy said:

for me & my wife i had over 8 months of whatsapp msgs. I copy/pasted  msgs in Microsoft Word file with small caption under each screenshot explaining context (since chat was in foreign language). random 3-4 msg per month. I tried to select ones with picture sharing, like if i was outside shoping n found something cool or we shared photo of food we made, or something showing, natural human conversation) .

NOTE on i130 (ONLINE APPLYING) they don't accept microsoft word for uploading documents & file has to be 6mb. More details on how to get around dilemma see my post

Ok thanks! But did you have wife's number in screenshots or her name 

Edited by Myramatters

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Number is not important all they require is to see the chat logs and that too to measure the legitimacy of relationship. In my case he didn't even bother to look at chat logs but it's always good to carry.

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

Marriage (if applicable): 2013-08-24

I-130 Sent : 2014-08-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-09-02

I-130 RFE : 2015-02-06

I-130 RFE Sent : 2015-02-20

I-130 Approved : 2015-03-03

NVC Received : 2015-03-28

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-06-01

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-06-01

Send AOS Package : 2015-06-04

Submit DS-261 : 2015-06-04

Receive IV Bill : 2015-07-01

Pay IV Bill : 2015-07-05

Send IV Package : 2015-07-24

Checklist : 2015-10-06

Case Completed : 2015-11-11

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa): 2016.01.21

You could save anyone’s phone number as the name of the contact. Like if Rick’s number was 1 (111) 111-1111 you could save his name as 1 (111) 867-5309. So now when Rick calls you the number 1 (111) 867-5309 shows up on your phone. I’m going to say it doesn’t matter at all. 

Edited by AnnaLee24

1 hour ago, Capital Z said:

Number is not important all they require is to see the chat logs and that too to measure the legitimacy of relationship. In my case he didn't even bother to look at chat logs but it's always good to carry.

Oh really ok thank you 

2 minutes ago, AnnaLee24 said:

You could save anyone’s phone number as the name of the contact. Like if Rick’s number was 1 (111) 111-1111 you could save his name as 1 (111) 867-5309. So now when Rick calls you the number 1 (111) 867-5309 shows up on your phone. I’m going to say it doesn’t matter at all. 

I didn't even think about it that way! Makes sense thanks 

This is for Islamabad? I hope you have stronger evidence than just WhatsApp messages. Sometimes we focus on tiny details that really don’t matter and in doing so we miss the bigger picture. I could spend all day sending you WhatsApp messages. Doesn’t “prove” anything. Focus on the best quality evidence you have, not the highest quantity. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

9 minutes ago, JFH said:

This is for Islamabad? I hope you have stronger evidence than just WhatsApp messages. Sometimes we focus on tiny details that really don’t matter and in doing so we miss the bigger picture. I could spend all day sending you WhatsApp messages. Doesn’t “prove” anything. Focus on the best quality evidence you have, not the highest quantity. 

No offense but the way you worded that is really negative. I never said I don't have other evidence, but I only had a question about the messages. I want to make sure I gather the best information about everything since every detail matters. And actually they ask for chats on 221g, so it is pretty substantial. Please, going forward, try to use more positive and supportive wording for others' questions. Also try to just answer the question instead of giving unsolicited "advice". This process is tedious and nerve wracking enough. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Myramatters said:

No offense but the way you worded that is really negative. I never said I don't have other evidence, but I only had a question about the messages. I want to make sure I gather the best information about everything since every detail matters. And actually they ask for chats on 221g, so it is pretty substantial. Please, going forward, try to use more positive and supportive wording for others' questions. Also try to just answer the question instead of giving unsolicited "advice". This process is tedious and nerve wracking enough. Thanks. 

You asked for opinions. You got them. You can take them or leave them. I’m actually trying to avoid you getting a 221(g). That would be preferable than fretting about things that are asked for in a 221(g). If you have good quality evidence at the start, hopefully a 221(g) won’t even come into play.

Good luck to you. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

They purposely leave it vague to provide whatever type and amount of proof you see fit to establish the relationship is legit. I figured the more the better. We met on a dating site and I had written a success story for the site that had details of how we met and pics of us together. I included that story and highlighted the site url and date it was published. I printed pages from both our Facebooks showing where we’d changed our statuses to “engaged”, and “married” and our friends posting Congratulations and highlighting dates and times. I printed FB posts showing pics of us together, showing where we had checked in places, showing us standing in front of landmark spots here in the U.S. and in the U.K. as proof we were in those places together. Again I made sure to highlight, dates, times, and locations. You can use flight itineraries showing dates, receipts from gifts you’ve sent each other. I bought something on Amazon so I printed the receipt showing my name/address, the item, showing his name/address as the recipient then a pic of him holding up the item. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but remember it’s their job to look at this stuff and determine is this a legit relationship. If you were in their job, think what would it take to convince you? Good luck! 🍀 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.