The_dip_sticks

Humus and falafel

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
This thread had me jonesin' for falafel so baddddddddddddddddddddd on Monday...... so I called in an order to a local place and went to go pick it up on my way home from work.

I walk in and the guys looks at me all scared and says "Oh. I tried to call you back. We're out of falafel."

:blink:

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

I had to have shawerma instead.... and it wasn't "proper." Tasted fine but who the hell wraps it like a burrito and then slices it ??????? And it wasn't even carved off the pressed slab.... it was like regular chicken breast. And hardly any condiments except lettuce tomato cucumber and hummus. :crying:

Even worse -- the owner of this place is from Nablus !!!! ####### ?!?!?!?!?!??!!!!

:crying::crying::crying:

You should have said your husband is from the West Bank and you have been there. They usually hook it then (at least for me, when they know I do know the difference btwn quality and #######)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

And speaking about pickles on sandwiches... where are the Turkis peeps? I so love the pickled cabbage they use on their chawarma sandwiches. Mmmm I want to be in Istanbul (or Berlin) right now and eat one! And I want some pickled turnips and garlic sauce to dip it in too... Man, ####### I sure do want strange things lately!

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
You should have said your husband is from the West Bank and you have been there. They usually hook it then (at least for me, when they know I do know the difference btwn quality and #######)

He already knows that -- his home town is only about 40 miles from my husband's. And he always gives me extra stuff. I think he's just trying to offer something the locals can understand.....

6b0xo4n.gif

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

He already knows that -- his home town is only about 40 miles from my husband's. And he always gives me extra stuff. I think he's just trying to offer something the locals can understand.....

6b0xo4n.gif

Hmmm...maybe. I know many dishes with that same name, here taste way different in MENA. Just like Chinese foods. Maybe time to look for another digs :thumbs:

Timeline
Hmmm...maybe. I know many dishes with that same name, here taste way different in MENA. Just like Chinese foods. Maybe time to look for another digs :thumbs:

Wellllll.... his felafel is great -- we have no problem with that. His hummus is very good, too. And of course we like to patronize Palestinian businesses. This was just the first time we'd ordered the shawerma....

As far as looking for another place -- well there aren't too many Arab-style restaurants in San Antonio to begin with. We already know them all ! Have to make a road trip I guess....

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Wellllll.... his felafel is great -- we have no problem with that. His hummus is very good, too. And of course we like to patronize Palestinian businesses. This was just the first time we'd ordered the shawerma....

As far as looking for another place -- well there aren't too many Arab-style restaurants in San Antonio to begin with. We already know them all ! Have to make a road trip I guess....

(F)

-MK

Hmmm really? I know you can find many places on www.zabihah.com and many locals. I know in Detroit, there are so many resturants, I have a fav place, that many say is not the best, but for what I order I what just love. So some things they make good, while others may not be so hot!

Timeline
Hmmm really? I know you can find many places on www.zabihah.com and many locals. I know in Detroit, there are so many resturants, I have a fav place, that many say is not the best, but for what I order I what just love. So some things they make good, while others may not be so hot!

Heeheee this site is cool, but if you will look up San Antonio, you will see that it lists only 4 places -- and one of them is Greek and another is Pakistani. Shisha Cafe (the one I was talking about) is not even listed. So you see what I'm sayin.....

Detroit is the #1 largest Arab community in the U.S. -- I have no doubt that it's the best place in America to find great Middle Eastern restaurants !!

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

Heeheee this site is cool, but if you will look up San Antonio, you will see that it lists only 4 places -- and one of them is Greek and another is Pakistani. Shisha Cafe (the one I was talking about) is not even listed. So you see what I'm sayin.....

Detroit is the #1 largest Arab community in the U.S. -- I have no doubt that it's the best place in America to find great Middle Eastern restaurants !!

Have you tried islamicfinder.com? I know here in Detroit is alot.When I lived in NorCal, I complained about not having anyting, but lo-and-behold yrs later, I found out there is and was sooo many out there...I just never found them LOL!

mmmm falafel

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

well THANK YOU Mena people... after this thread floated around for DAYS... I was FORCED! to buy and eat a falafel!!!.. The falafel sucked.. there was hardly ANY of their watery crappy sauce.. and now I have the hugest belly ache!!!!!!!

I blame all of you! thank god I held back during that whole doughnut fiasco!!! :ranting:

:crying: :crying: :crying:

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
well THANK YOU Mena people... after this thread floated around for DAYS... I was FORCED! to buy and eat a falafel!!!.. The falafel sucked.. there was hardly ANY of their watery crappy sauce.. and now I have the hugest belly ache!!!!!!!

I blame all of you! thank god I held back during that whole doughnut fiasco!!! :ranting:

:crying: :crying: :crying:

gotta admire willpower like that :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

Some Iraqis put the pickled cabbage on their sharwarma, too. Henia, there's an Iraqi restaurant called Hamurabi in Warren (near Hamtramck on 8 1/2 and Dequindre) that makes great shawarma (gus) sandwiches with pickled cabbage on it. They don't use a garlic or tahineh sauce but they use more like a thin buttermilk ranch sauce. Soooo good. Just a tip if you plan to go there. Call ahead to see if the restaurant is open or if it's being used as a banquet. I showed up with my gf one day and walked into a room of Iraqi men in suits. Doh! I had about 60 Iraqi eyeballs staring at me.

And speaking about pickles on sandwiches... where are the Turkis peeps? I so love the pickled cabbage they use on their chawarma sandwiches. Mmmm I want to be in Istanbul (or Berlin) right now and eat one! And I want some pickled turnips and garlic sauce to dip it in too... Man, ####### I sure do want strange things lately!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.