neetneet

K-1 Stuck in NOA2 in Mumbai - help

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello all -

I (US Citizen) filed Form I-129F for my fiance (in India). I applied in Oct 2019, with an NOA2 in late Feb 2020. CEAC shows that the case was created in early March of 2020, and the current status is 'Ready', with the last update being Nov 25, 2020 (though the 'last updated date' has changed several times over the last few months, and I first saw ready back in July). My fiance has not yet received any materials from the Mumbai consulate, and we have called/emailed the support team (US Travel Docs) many times, always just getting the same response that we have to keep waiting.

Now, I realized that my NOA2 approval expired back in June 2020, and the 12 month overall validity period will pass after Feb 2021.

Can anyone advise on if I have valid cause for concern, or if they've heard of a similar situation, or what steps I can take? 

Thanks!

@Greenbaum I see you're the resident expert for these kinds of questions, hoping you can help!

Edited by neetneet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
17 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Consular officer will extend validity of approval by default.

True.  It never hurts, in addition, to write the consulate to specify that you're requesting extension of petition validity.  It's good to have a paper trail in your hands.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

4 hours ago, neetneet said:

Hello all -

I (US Citizen) filed Form I-129F for my fiance (in India). I applied in Oct 2019, with an NOA2 in late Feb 2020. CEAC shows that the case was created in early March of 2020, and the current status is 'Ready', with the last update being Nov 25, 2020 (though the 'last updated date' has changed several times over the last few months, and I first saw ready back in July). My fiance has not yet received any materials from the Mumbai consulate, and we have called/emailed the support team (US Travel Docs) many times, always just getting the same response that we have to keep waiting.

Now, I realized that my NOA2 approval expired back in June 2020, and the 12 month overall validity period will pass after Feb 2021.

Can anyone advise on if I have valid cause for concern, or if they've heard of a similar situation, or what steps I can take? 

Thanks!

@Greenbaum I see you're the resident expert for these kinds of questions, hoping you can help!

Currently, Mumbi is not adjudicating K-1 visas as they are still closed and only taking emergency visa applicants. I use this website to determine who is open and what are they processing. If your results return 999 they are not processing.

U.S. Visas (state.gov)

Be prepared to pay a new fee if you go beyond the expiration date of your NOA2. If not, then the embassy will validate your NOA2 to the end as you are within the 4-month window left on your NOA2.

Everyone in India is waiting for the embassy to reopen. It's just a fact that you are dealing with. Luckily, your case is "ready" condition, so you are in the front of the line when they reopen. 

Also, you may want to be a part of the India conversation in the VJ sub-forum. Go to the blue ribbon above, select "forums" then scroll about three-fourths of the page down and select the region that most represents where your country is located.  

Good luck and stay engaged in the process. 

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Thanks all! I do hear the point that the consulate extends by default, and I've read that they extend the NOA2/Approval in 4 month increments. I'll reach out to them about that.

My concern is that I've read this approval can only be extended for 12 months, and after that 12 months, I have to start the whole petition again from scratch. That's what I'm specifically worried about in this case. Is that not accurate information? Can they extend beyond 12 months? It seems like in this case, its the consulate's closure and lack of processing that has/will push me past the 12 months, and it would be reasonable for the consulate to just extend it. 

And Greenbaum, thanks - I will continue to monitor the India regional forum. 

Edited by neetneet

2 hours ago, neetneet said:

Can they extend beyond 12 months?

"the consular officer may revalidate the petition any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States." https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html

Timeline

Mumbai consulate don't sent any email or packet now a days. You can download the packet 4 from below link.

1st step is to get PCC done as this may take a month in India.

2nd, fill DS160 form

3rd, book biometrics and consular appointment.

4th Get your Medical done at least 7 days before your consulate interview.

https://in.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/71/MumbaiIVPacket-4-for-Ks-January-2017-Rev.pdf

Timeline

Thanks Amit. The constant message from the call center is that I need to wait for that email. 

Will they not ask for that email or anything when I actually attend the interview? As you can imagine, after the months long COVID delay, I really don’t want to mess something up because of impatience at this stage, so trying to really understand the risks here and what the embassy might bring up. 

On 12/10/2020 at 11:11 PM, neetneet said:

Thanks Amit. The constant message from the call center is that I need to wait for that email. 

Will they not ask for that email or anything when I actually attend the interview? As you can imagine, after the months long COVID delay, I really don’t want to mess something up because of impatience at this stage, so trying to really understand the risks here and what the embassy might bring up. 

Everything that you need for the interview is in the P4 that you were given the link to. Follow the requirements as closely as you can.

You may want to become a part of the conversation for your region/country in the VJ sub-forum for your country. Go to the blue ribbon above, select "forums" then scroll about three-fourths of the page down and select the region that most represents where your country is located.  Others from India are there to answer your questions. Good luck and stay engaged in the process. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, neetneet said:

The Packet 4 doesn't mention anything about bringing the completed I-129F form, is that not needed?

No as they have a copy in their computers. You could provide a copy less the evidence to your beneficiary so they are up to speed on the petitioner's background. 

If it is not in the P4 then it is not needed.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.