Don0

Travel to PH news and quarantine

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

I stayed at St Giles Hotel in Makati just because its walking distance to my condo.  You can stay around the airport, but just make sure your hotel is one listed in the approved hotel list.  They check this before you leave the airport and these hotels are specifically set up to handle quarantine periods of arriving passengers.  I wouldnt recommend St Giles though, I read reviews they had fast internet but thats not the case and was the most important thing I needed.  I did a speedtest and they only get 1-2 Mbps.  I couldnt even do my video conferences for work.  

When I applied for the visa, I had a booking on Agoda at a different hotel, but after I got the visa, I saw a better deal so I cancelled the original booking and booked a new place (St Giles).  You can do this, its no problem as long as its an approved hotel.  Agoda is probably one of the best places to book now as they allow you to cancel your booking for free, usually right up to 1-3 days before you arrive.

Also for your visa, the 90 day single entry visa you are given, the clock starts the day they print it.  My visa started on October 30th but I did not arrive until November 29th making the visa good for about 2 months.  Either way, your entry is only good for 59 days, then an extension would be required.  (same as pre-COVID days). 

Thanks for the info. 

I will be sure to verify hotel is on the list. Just not sure of the exact date of arrival so change of hotel dates is a plus.

I also use Agoda for hotel bookings when in the Philippines, they seem to have the best deals for the most part.

Good to know the visa time frame starts when they issue it and not upon arrival (as I had thought). I will get the 90 day to be safe.

Timeline
On 12/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, AlaMike said:

Looking for a hotel to stay in after arriving in Manila, during quarantine. Somewhere close to the airport. 

Got everything else ready to send to the Philippine Embassy in Washington for 9a visa approval except hotel.

@flicks1998 Where did you stay. 

Since the only things you give the Embassy that are date specific are the flight and hotel stays. Are you locked in to those exact dates.

I stayed in the Savoy hotel in October its very close to NAIA. They were pretty lax let me go down and meet grab food drivers to pickup food etc.. noone really seamed to care at all.

Jordan

28 minutes ago, Jordan & Jenet said:

I stayed in the Savoy hotel in October its very close to NAIA. They were pretty lax let me go down and meet grab food drivers to pickup food etc.. noone really seamed to care at all.

Jordan

Yes I think it depends on the city and the mayor of that city. Makati is quite strict but I had to be close to home, pasay may be more lenient. It all comes down to the mayor and how much they decide to in force the rules. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline
7 hours ago, Jordan & Jenet said:

Jordan

I found the Holiday Inn Express Newport was on the list of approved hotels. Which is where I stay on my stop overs in Manila. Plus, I have points that let me stay for free.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, AlaMike said:

I found the Holiday Inn Express Newport was on the list of approved hotels. Which is where I stay on my stop overs in Manila. Plus, I have points that let me stay for free.

I have never stayed in that one, I have booked the conrad in 2 weeks. It's really close to our condo in shell. Probably still won't walk with the 400 bags though hahaha

On 12/8/2020 at 8:19 AM, AlaMike said:

That is such an easy access hotel, I like being able to walk from terminal 3 to the hotel. The points also make it nice to stay there, breakfast isn't bad either.  

My step daughter is going back next week for a visit.  What a PITA!  There is an affidavit that she has to sign but she needs to be of legal age.  She is 17 traveling alone.  That is one hurdle.  We booked her hotel but all hotels in Manila require guests to be at least 18.  So she is required to quarantine and take the Covid swab but she isn't old enough to sign the affidavit or check into the quarantine hotel.  The Philippines allows anyone over 15 to travel alone but we have other challenges.  We are going to give her letters to carry but those ardent the only challenges.  She is flying EVA (after 2 other airlines cancelled her flights) so she need a negative RCP test to land in Taipei but it has to be done no more than 3 days prior to departure.  Her flight is 12:20 AM on the 19th so we booked the test on the 16th.  The problem is the only test they accept is the long lab test and results should be within 48 hours.  She needs that with her when she flies so we only have a couple hours of play before we are either fine or miss getting the test results in time and not going...  Are we having fun yet?

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

My step daughter is going back next week for a visit.  What a PITA!  There is an affidavit that she has to sign but she needs to be of legal age.  She is 17 traveling alone.  That is one hurdle.  We booked her hotel but all hotels in Manila require guests to be at least 18.  So she is required to quarantine and take the Covid swab but she isn't old enough to sign the affidavit or check into the quarantine hotel.  The Philippines allows anyone over 15 to travel alone but we have other challenges.  We are going to give her letters to carry but those ardent the only challenges.  She is flying EVA (after 2 other airlines cancelled her flights) so she need a negative RCP test to land in Taipei but it has to be done no more than 3 days prior to departure.  Her flight is 12:20 AM on the 19th so we booked the test on the 16th.  The problem is the only test they accept is the long lab test and results should be within 48 hours.  She needs that with her when she flies so we only have a couple hours of play before we are either fine or miss getting the test results in time and not going...  Are we having fun yet?

With that much if a PITA, I would just stay home. Oh, wait... I going next month.

I just hope its not that complicated

9 minutes ago, AlaMike said:

With that much if a PITA, I would just stay home. Oh, wait... I going next month.

I just hope its not that complicated

I agree but you don't know my step daughter.  She is great.  Has been locked up in her room getting all "A"s as a senior in high school.  She hasn't complained once that I've heard and is handling this so well.  She turns 18 in January and that is a huge deal in the Philippines.  She truly deserves this so we will do what we have to in order to make it happen.  Having flights cancelled and trying to get refunds while at the same time trying to book flights has not been fun or easy.  Last February her brother went back to the Philippines and now he is ready to come back so they will both be coming home in January.  Luckily school is online so she wont miss any classes except for her birthday and maybe a few other dates.  

I hope you are already married because they wont open up the Philippines for fiancee any time soon.  The earliest rumors is stating mid (June/July 2021) and the latest dates in the rumors goes into 2022.  I know two people now who refused visas from the local consulates.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

I agree but you don't know my step daughter.  She is great.  Has been locked up in her room getting all "A"s as a senior in high school.  She hasn't complained once that I've heard and is handling this so well.  She turns 18 in January and that is a huge deal in the Philippines.  She truly deserves this so we will do what we have to in order to make it happen.  Having flights cancelled and trying to get refunds while at the same time trying to book flights has not been fun or easy.  Last February her brother went back to the Philippines and now he is ready to come back so they will both be coming home in January.  Luckily school is online so she wont miss any classes except for her birthday and maybe a few other dates.  

I understand.

I am still learning about birthdays. My son who is almost 6 months will have a cake and balloons each month until he is 1. Then just normal until 21.

I have went thru a girls 18th birthday party, it was definitely a big party. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.