2,962 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 12/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, jacobamanda63 said:

Thank you very much Dear Sandra. I checked my contract paper with the attorney who does not answers my phone and he does not response my email. there is said these fees Nonrefoudable. even he did nothing on my case ,do I have no chance to ask my legal fees back? 

Thank you very much for your time.I am very appreciate all you have been done for us. 

this is the agreement that I signed and returned it back with money order to his office. 

Client acknowledges that attorney’s acceptance of his case precludes attorney’s acceptance of other such cases.  Client agrees that since fees shall be calculated and paid on a flat fee rather than an hourly basis, attorney shall not record the time spent on behalf of client and, consequently, all fees paid are nonrefundable.

EXPENSES

Client acknowledges and understands that client shall be responsible for all expenses incurred by attorney, including but not limited to:  copy charges, telephone charges, court costs, witness fee, travel expenses (30 cents per mile if outside of Marion County and room and board if necessary), and postage.  Client hereby authorizes attorney to incur such expenses but shall reimburse attorney within thirty (30) days from the date client is notified thereof.  In the event Client inexcusably delays the resolution of his case, causing Attorney’s expenditure of time to increase, Client shall pay, in addition to the fees stated above, the sum of $350.00 per hour, for each such hour or any part thereof.

PAYMENTS

Client acknowledges and understands that under certain circumstances and at the discretion of attorney, attorney may accept partial or late payments, but that if client fails to timely make payments attorney may use all legal means of recovering sums due and client shall then become liable for the costs of collection including, but not limited to:  reasonable additional attorney fees as are necessary for the collection of the debt, costs associated with any other collection activity, collection agency fees and court costs.  Repeated efforts to collect past due fees or payments shall be charged to client at a rate of $350.00 per hour.  Such efforts may include telephone calls, letters, invoices and the like.  Client acknowledges and understands that all fees not paid within sixty (60) days from the date due shall be subject to a finance charge of 1.5% per month.  Client further acknowledges and understands that failure to pay attorney’s fee as agreed shall be considered a breach of this agreement, that all outstanding balances will then become immediately due and payable and that attorney shall immediately withdraw his appearance as counsel for client and terminate the attorney-client relationship.  

EXECUTION

Client acknowledges by his signature below that he has received a copy of this agreement, that he understands and acknowledges its terms and meanings, that its provisions shall be as binding upon his heirs, assigns and personal representatives as it is against him.

Yes you can represent the attorney to the bar association, but first sent to the attorney a certified letter asking your money back and specify how many times you tried to contact him, and mention  at this point the trust is broken.

Timeline
10 hours ago, God is a good God said:

@sandranj @Demise So, to avoid the long wait of transfer of my case to Vermont. Can I ask the judge to make a decision on my i-485 at my next calendar hearing in court that is due end of April 2021 in case my i360 get approved before April 2021?  And also, the transfer will happen anytime from now or it will happen only when my i-360 is approved? How long does it take for uscis to transfer to Vermont?

The Court can just decide your case in  your  individual hearing, not in the master hearing.It seems you will have the master hearing.Once the VAWA is approved you can adjust status with the Court, but I do not recommend at all.From the individual hearing to the master hearing can take between 8 months to 3 years.NYC is taking 3 years to schedule the master hearing.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Salyeen said:

Hey guys just a quick question how long time did the usics give to response to the RFE

like a month or less ? U

After the RFE answer they may take 60 days to 6 months to adjudicate the case.

Timeline
On 12/7/2020 at 4:04 PM, AJJU said:

Hello Greetings to All. 

Hope you all are doing well, my apologies for asking quick help, 

as my i360 was approved in Oct 2020 they sent me EAD C31 but its not updated yet in their system  i went to DMV for license and they couldn't retrieve any info same with my employer, what should i do ?  

Also came to know from lawyer that i need to change my address from old to new for my I485 process, so i did it online and got online confirmation print copy of AR-11 which says to mail in to below address. just want to confirm is that right ? do i have to send this AR-11 VERMONT SERVICE CENTRE ?   

and the I485 status says FINGERPRINTS WERE ATTACHED on SEPT 2018.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services Attn: Change of Address
1344 Pleasants Drive Harrisonburg, VA 22801

Yep, VSC.

Timeline
On 12/7/2020 at 11:16 PM, PayingForward said:

Have a qq to experts here: my spouse was a PR at the time of my vawa application but in the meantime he would have been naturalized. I believe he was a citizen when my GC was issued. Can i apply for citizenship after 3 yrs or still need to wait 5 yrs since I have no proof of his citizenship? Thank you for taking time and effort in answering 🙏🏽

Rest everyone waiting on approval, please hang on tight. I started in your place in 2018 and got this far. You will too 👍🏼

If he became a U.S Citizen you are eligible to apply for naturalization after 3 years, instead 5.You should ask USCIS to search about his immigration status.

2 minutes ago, sandranj said:

If he became a U.S Citizen you are eligible to apply for naturalization after 3 years, instead 5.You should ask USCIS to search about his immigration status.

Thank you @sandranj !! So along with my application i must add a letter requesting CIS to verify spouse status. Is that correct? 

20 minutes ago, GodIsGood2 said:

Good morning my VAWA family I just wanted to share my interview experience:

My interview time was 9am, I arrived at 8:45. Just 9am in the morning the officer called me, she seems to be very nice, she asked me about my attorney and interpreter, I said they’ll be by phone. She asked me my id and passport and took copies of them, then she asked me basic questions, she corrected 3 question in the form. At some point she kind of get pissed with the interpreter because was not translating every word (the officer speaks Spanish). The officer told me that my English was very good and I told her that I just wanted to make sure I understand everything because of nervous. She asked me the NO and Yes question ( she had a very strong looking at me, but I did Eyes contact all the time. The interview just took around 25 min...

then she said “ ok, we corrected 3 questions in the form, please sign here and you should have our decision  Mail to this address in the next few days” 

Is this normal? Based on your experience? How long it would take to have the decision? 😭😭😭😭 this wait is endless!!!!!!

thank you in advance 

Don't worry you'll be fine I think by end of the day you might have a decision or worst case scenario two, three days alright? Relax.😊👍

46 minutes ago, GodIsGood2 said:

Good morning my VAWA family I just wanted to share my interview experience:

My interview time was 9am, I arrived at 8:45. Just 9am in the morning the officer called me, she seems to be very nice, she asked me about my attorney and interpreter, I said they’ll be by phone. She asked me my id and passport and took copies of them, then she asked me basic questions, she corrected 3 question in the form. At some point she kind of get pissed with the interpreter because was not translating every word (the officer speaks Spanish). The officer told me that my English was very good and I told her that I just wanted to make sure I understand everything because of nervous. She asked me the NO and Yes question ( she had a very strong looking at me, but I did Eyes contact all the time. The interview just took around 25 min...

then she said “ ok, we corrected 3 questions in the form, please sign here and you should have our decision  Mail to this address in the next few days” 

Is this normal? Based on your experience? How long it would take to have the decision? 😭😭😭😭 this wait is endless!!!!!!

thank you in advance 

I have a feeling you will be approved in under a week. But please be patient 🙏🏽 To me it looks like your interview went well if you take out interpreter part 👍🏼 

52 minutes ago, mazi said:

@Stillwinning!!!😊 How you doing? How many times will USCIS send a request for medical for I485 . I got a call I was sent another one today. This is the 2nd one. Thank you

Hi they usually send just one.. it's not a bad thing that you were sent the i693 twice just don't make so much out of it.. you're okay!👍😊

Filed: Other Timeline
16 hours ago, Ylx said:

Hello my extended family.

Wish everybody the best and many blessings on our way.

Sharing a great news, my green card and approval are on my hands

Thank you to everybody in special to sandra @Stillwinning!!!😊 and many other I can recall right now. 

My time frame is the follow

September 2018 file vawa and aos

November 2018 prima facie

September 2019 2nd prima facie

March 2020 EAD CE1

July 2020 vawa approval

September 2020notification of medicals where due

November 2020 medicals sent

December 2020 green card on hand 

No interview no rfe

Thanks again!

Congratulations 🍾🍾

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
22 hours ago, cindy122808 said:

Oh😳😳😳 Really??? Oh goodness. Maybe I should do my medicals now I just don't want to waste it if it will go beyond 60days. Or did you just receive your notice late?

Can you please share your timeline and field office?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@sandranj Hi Sandra, I was reading your posts regarding asylum and got pretty worried. I applied for one in 2013, got interviewed and denied in 2014 (no appeal), maintained my F1 status since then. I did, however, travel to my home country once in 2017 with AP due to close family emergency (which I have documentation for). Now I have an approved VAWA and waiting on interview. Do you have any advice you could give in case this comes up in the interview?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.