2,962 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Hi, the pattern I've seen here and from my own experience is mostly three months but sometimes it is transferred immediately and it doesn't always reflect on your case status.. you're not always updated! there were some people who had to enquire from their Congressman and found out that their I-485 was already at the local office! Also there's no fixed time to receive courtesy letter some people did not receive it. My VAWA was approved March 2019  and I got the courtesy letter in July 2019! I hope this helps.👍

Hi! How do you get your congressman to expedite this process? Just email them asking to check on your case with your i-485 receipt number attached in email? 

7 hours ago, Hritik Rohail said:

@Stillwinning!!!😊 and other knowledgeable family members I need help and advice as to the following:

Today I got notification that Uscis scheduled my interview. How long it ll take to receive the notice? It appears that my address wasn't updated by the USCIS as I didn't receive the previous cancellation notice for interview, so what should I do to get the lost notice as well as  to change/update my address?

Please I need your advice!

Hello, have you been getting other notices from USCIS? Once they schedule your interview, you can expect to receive the notice anytime from 

2 to 5 days! You can contact USCIS ASAP if you feel things are going to get complicated because of the fact that they may not have updated your address.. on the other hand, you just might receive the notice.. but get proactive from here!👍

8 minutes ago, saraa88 said:

Hi! How do you get your congressman to expedite this process? Just email them asking to check on your case with your i-485 receipt number attached in email? 

Hello, congressman cannot expedite your case.. they can only check on the status of your case! So yeah get in contact with them then they'll send you a privacy disclosure document which you fill out and sign..you'll attach your receipt notice for the case you are inquiring about..then they'll reach out to USCIS on your behalf!👍

15 hours ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Hi, the pattern I've seen here and from my own experience is mostly three months but sometimes it is transferred immediately and it doesn't always reflect on your case status.. you're not always updated! there were some people who had to enquire from their Congressman and found out that their I-485 was already at the local office! Also there's no fixed time to receive courtesy letter some people did not receive it. My VAWA was approved March 2019  and I got the courtesy letter in July 2019! I hope this helps.👍

thanks. my vawa was approved in october but i'm still waiting for i485. my  case status for i485 still shows "fingerprints were taken" since 2019.  I read in other forums that if I move to a different state, my i485 will go to the back of the line in the office in my new state causing a big delay? do you know if that is true?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, lolaB998 said:

Is it normal not to receive any updates online after the interview? Can you please share your experiences? I got the notification that the marriage-based I-485 was denied the same day but nothing on the I-485 based on vawa 😕 so frustrated...

Yes, it’s normal to get your marriage based I-485 denied, mine was denied completely but I submitted again with VSC.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, lolaB998 said:

Thank you! Why did they deny it? Did they give you a reason?

Because we both didn’t show up for the  interview,  but I do, and I didn’t ask the officer to put my I-485 on hold, even if you told them to put it on hold, some officers will still deny your I-485 marriage based.

Edited by sheima

Hello everyone, I have been separated from my US citizen spouse for a year left after we had a domestic violence incident and I called the cops. He has since gone on to claim taxes as married has been getting stimulus checks for us both and has not even bothered to let me know of this. He also started threatening the relatives I was living with telling them to put me out because they let me live with them that was the reason I wasn't returning to live with him. I am considering filing for divorce as not to carry on mingling our finances but I am not sure what effect this will have on me filing VAWA also what type of divorce do I file for as I am in Texas. I know that I need a Psych Eval any advice on that?

1 hour ago, sabina4 said:

thanks. my vawa was approved in october but i'm still waiting for i485. my  case status for i485 still shows "fingerprints were taken" since 2019.  I read in other forums that if I move to a different state, my i485 will go to the back of the line in the office in my new state causing a big delay? do you know if that is true?

I've heard that too, but cannot confirm it.. each field office operates differently that is the time they take differs.. some offices are faster than others.. if you have to move, move do not base it on how fast your case will go... I've seen field offices that were notoriously slow take a turn and become fast and those that were fast start to drag!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
22 hours ago, sandranj said:

USCIS will inform  just in person, if the person has an interview date, if they will hold or not the I-485, not by mail.If she has a pending I-485  she should NOT FILE A NEW I-485.If she submitted a request to obtain  advance parole then she should not refile a new one either.

Thank you So much @sandranj again for help, really nice of you. If she will not receive interview or biometric before she file VAWA, she need to write an letter to VSC along with her I-360 application including I-485, I-765, I-131 and request to hold I-485? Do USCIS usually update status once they decide if they will be holding her I-485 or not? Anything else she need to do? Or she need to file I-360 first and then wait for the receipt and then request USCIS to hold I-485 with I-360 receipt?

Thank you again everyone who is helping, really appreciate.   

Filed: Timeline
On 1/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, Blunt said:

@Stillwinning!!!😊I sent my ead renewal packet to Vermont and it got delivered on jan 3 which happens to be weekend ,I hope that’s not why I haven’t gotten back from them ? up till now I haven’t received the receipt that they have received it and my ead will expire by April ..I need the receipt to be able to use to renew my drivers license and also show them at work that I am still in status..just reaching out here to see if am not lagging behind ..I thought the receipt usually be out in like 2 weeks time ..my lawyer told me he hasn’t receive the receipt and I also sent my RFE back to them since November ,they still haven’t gotten back to me about the RFE but they acknowledged that they have received it ..I’m not worried ,I just need the receipt to be able to renew my drivers license and show them at work that am still in status !! 

Just FYI- Currently there is a lot of postings online about a excessive delay in receipts being sent out not only for initial or renewal EADs but for those doing ROC (a process N/A for VAWA petitioners but causes those applicants similar issues with getting their DLs renewed).  If you have a tracking number for the package you sent you can email the lock box support email and they are suppose to look up your tracking number in their system and find out what happened to your package and receipt status  -however- people have done so (repeatedly) and have either gotten no response or a delayed response with a generic 'we are experience high workload (probably related to quarantining mail(?) or reduced workers or additional quarantining mail handling procedures (?) I dont know the email doesnt give any explanation) and we will get you a receipt asap' But no, you are not alone, not lagging behind, just stuck like many others because of the circumstances.

So you can attempt to email the lock box but dont expect it to work. It cant hurt. Since your EAD doesnt expire until April you have some time so dont start panicking yet! It may take a long time for you to get your receipt (maybe not until Feb or March) but it will be dated appropriately as received in Jan. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.