Kennedy Vince

What are our US Visa options?

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kennedy Vince said:

Thank you! So K1 Visa seems the most realistic? 

Both the K-1 and CR-1 will take 1-2 years from start to finish.  The primary drawback to the K-1 would be that for 7-9 months after arriving with the visa, he won't be able to work or come back if he leaves the country.

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Your father needs to talk to the company Immigration Lawyer to discuss any options. TN would be my forst thought,

For a construction job, no, unless he’s an engineer of some sort.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need, form Tourist Visas- the OP is exploring options that may lead down the immigration route~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Your father needs to talk to the company Immigration Lawyer to discuss any options. TN would be my forst thought, does he have any qualifications?

dont think TN is available for construction working jobs. Most of them need at least a professional degree sort of 

duh

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no visa that would allow your boyfriend to live and work in the US.  His background in construction will not qualify him for a work visa.  

As a Canadian, he can visit for up to 6 months.  He can't work.  This is the best he can do.  

Sorry.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am not suggesting a TN for painting, I was asking what his qualifications are in case he qualifies for a TN in another field.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

How involved in his church is there? There is a religious work visa you could investigate. A few people from my husband's hometown have gotten it in the past couple of years. They do religious work. It helps (could be mandatory??) to be at least a deacon in the church. Everyone I know was a pastor who got it.

Just fyi, for the K1 visa he will spend at least 6 months not working after you get married.  So if you can swing 6 months not working, do it BEFORE applying for any visa (he is Canadian so he can spend a few months in the US with you.  He won't be able to work, but could occupy himself volunteering or something while you are busy).  Way cheaper, easier, less commitment, etc.  He can see how he likes living in the US and how much you like him haha.  Then, you can decide what you want to do after. 

3 hours ago, ColumbusKat said:

Just fyi, for the K1 visa he will spend at least 6 months not working after you get married.  So if you can swing 6 months not working, do it BEFORE applying for any visa (he is Canadian so he can spend a few months in the US with you.  He won't be able to work, but could occupy himself volunteering or something while you are busy).  Way cheaper, easier, less commitment, etc.  He can see how he likes living in the US and how much you like him haha.  Then, you can decide what you want to do after. 

As stated before, a K1 visa is not to see how much you like each other.  It is a signed commitment from both parties to marry within 90 days of entering the U.S.  

In case it wasn't clear, I was saying he should come to visit NOT on a k1 visa

They have the enormous luxury of being able to travel between each other's countries without having to start the long immigration process (a luxury most couples do not have), so they should take advantage of it.  Covid travel restrictions are ever changing, so don't make big life decisions based on a policy that could change tomorrow.  He can come spend some time in the US and she can go spend some time with him.  I wanted the original poster to realize that her boyfriend/fiance/husband wouldn't be working for several months (9 months in my case from entry to working, which was very average) if he came on a k1 visa If he is not interested in spending 2-3 months with you in the US now because he wouldn't be working, then down the road a k1 visa would REALLY not be for him.  

OP, what is your education background or goals?  If you have considered doing undergrad or graduate school, would you consider studying in Canada?  More affordable and many great programs.  Or are there any French immersion programs you could join?  Then you could spend 2-4 years together and decide to get married when the time is right for your (rather than because you want to speed up immigration.  NOT a good reason).  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 hours ago, Kennedy Vince said:

Thank you! So K1 Visa seems the most realistic? 

No, since he wouldn't be able to work for many months if entering on a K-1 and it sounded like that was very important for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

you have the luxury that many of us doesn't have: US-Canada. In fact, both of you can book a trip to Cancun right now and get to know each other more. I'm still remember back in 2016, it took me almost 20 hours to fly back to VN to visited my spouse while I-130 pending. This journey is not easy and we have to learn how to overcome it.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:39 AM, Liam2021 said:

In fact, both of you can book a trip to Cancun right now and get to know each other more.

The Canadian can also currently visit the US, but he would need to fly-in: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/11/23/2020-25865/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service "At this time, this Notification does not apply to air, freight rail, or sea travel between the United States and Canada, but does apply to passenger rail, passenger ferry travel, and pleasure boat travel between the United States and Canada."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.