Gawain

CRBA concurrent with I-130 ?

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America to Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA)**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

I'm definitely excited about doing the CRBA, but I have a question.  I am concerned about getting into Russia - the logistics about getting an appointment and shuttling my daughter to Moscow and getting this all done at precise timing with COVID-19.  So Russia is currently shut down.  My plan was to get the 3-year visa which would give me a large window so I wouldn't have to worry.  But they have to open the borders again for me to do that.  My question is - MUST this application be before she's 18?  Worst case scenario is I don't get there before next October; can I file if she turns 18?  I wrote to the Embassy and their reply was that it had to be before she turns 18.  But I don't know what the law says and I remember reading somewhere it said to file, "...in general, prior to the child turning 18."  I'm hoping that someone here will know more and share it with me.

14 minutes ago, Gawain said:

My question is - MUST this application be before she's 18?

Yes, the CRBA application must be made before your child turns 18 --

https://ru.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/

31 minutes ago, Gawain said:

I'm definitely excited about doing the CRBA, but I have a question.  I am concerned about getting into Russia - the logistics about getting an appointment and shuttling my daughter to Moscow and getting this all done at precise timing with COVID-19.  So Russia is currently shut down.  My plan was to get the 3-year visa which would give me a large window so I wouldn't have to worry.  But they have to open the borders again for me to do that.  My question is - MUST this application be before she's 18?  Worst case scenario is I don't get there before next October; can I file if she turns 18?  I wrote to the Embassy and their reply was that it had to be before she turns 18.  But I don't know what the law says and I remember reading somewhere it said to file, "...in general, prior to the child turning 18."  I'm hoping that someone here will know more and share it with me.

You normally don’t have to be there for CRBA registration. Different embassies have different local requirements but they should manage to get this done even if you can’t be there, you can courier them whatever documents you need to sign,

I think I have to be there because they told me that they want me to bring her with me.  I'm going to have to bring originals and right now only she has her original birth certificate.  I guess she can mail it to me and I go alone but - why risk losing it with a courrier service?  I'm going to guess that they want her there to look for a resemblance which I'm interpreting as a good sign.

2 hours ago, Gawain said:

My question is - MUST this application be before she's 18?

Yes.

But also ask the ACS if children over the age of 18 can get US passport at that post. Remember that you transmitted US citizenship to your daughter at the time of her birth. See the following page from a different consular post: https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/claiming-citizenship-born-outside-united-states/

over the age of 18: Your U.S. citizen parent must be listed on your birth certificate. You should review the information concerning transmission requirements (PDF 162KB) to see if your parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by U.S. citizenship law in effect at the time of your birth.  If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please follow the instructions provided below.

Also, she can apply for N-600 with USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/n-600-application-for-certificate-of-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions "You may file Form N-600 if you were born abroad and are claiming U.S. citizenship at birth through your parents." But the US passport path is preferable because: "In most cases, one must be living in the United States to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship."

Edited by HRQX

Hello HRQX.  I asked them:  "Assuming all goes well with the CRBA and it gets approved, would you be able to issue my daughter a US passport if I fill out a DS-11?"

They replied,

We do recommend you fill out the DS-11 and apply for her passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.
Sincerely,
American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy Moscow

So I hope that means she can get a passport there.

7 hours ago, Gawain said:

Hello HRQX.  I asked them:  "Assuming all goes well with the CRBA and it gets approved, would you be able to issue my daughter a US passport if I fill out a DS-11?"

They replied,

We do recommend you fill out the DS-11 and apply for her passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.
Sincerely,
U.S. Embassy Moscow

So I hope that means she can get a passport there.

Yes, that is usually how it works. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have another question about my CRBA application.  I can't find the answer on the CRBA website or on the DS-2029 application.  At the time of application, my daughter will have only her Internal Russian passport for identification purposes.  Since I have a noncooperative ex-spouse, my 17-year old daughter will not yet have her International Russian passport.  

If I was going the I-130 route, I realize that I would need to show that she has an International passport.  But now thanks to this forum, I'm going the CRBA route.

Question:  Will not having her International passport at the time of CRBA appointment preclude me from filing the CRBA for her?  (I realize we need to get one, but that will probably happen when she turns 18).

I will also plan to submit at the same time, the DS-11. 

Thanks in advance!

31 minutes ago, Gawain said:

Hello,

I have another question about my CRBA application.  I can't find the answer on the CRBA website or on the DS-2029 application.  At the time of application, my daughter will have only her Internal Russian passport for identification purposes.  Since I have a noncooperative ex-spouse, my 17-year old daughter will not yet have her International Russian passport.  

If I was going the I-130 route, I realize that I would need to show that she has an International passport.  But now thanks to this forum, I'm going the CRBA route.

Question:  Will not having her International passport at the time of CRBA appointment preclude me from filing the CRBA for her?  (I realize we need to get one, but that will probably happen when she turns 18).

I will also plan to submit at the same time, the DS-11. 

Thanks in advance!

I don’t see why it would be a problem, seeing as the main point of getting CRBA is to get her a US passport. 

• 4 weeks later...

I asked the embassy if they will let me apply for CRBA without my daughter having an International Passport.  I told them that all she would have at the time is her internal Russian passport.  This was the response, which I'm still not sure how to interpret:

You may come to the Embassy with your daughter's internal Russian passport as proof of identity.  If the consular officer is not satisfied, they may ask for another document.
Sincerely,

I don't know if that means that I can "apply."  I assume so.  I'm in a race against time with this, and all I'm concerned with is applying before she turns 18, which will be in October.

54 minutes ago, Gawain said:

I asked the embassy if they will let me apply for CRBA without my daughter having an International Passport.  I told them that all she would have at the time is her internal Russian passport.  This was the response, which I'm still not sure how to interpret:

You may come to the Embassy with your daughter's internal Russian passport as proof of identity.  If the consular officer is not satisfied, they may ask for another document.
Sincerely,

I don't know if that means that I can "apply."  I assume so.  I'm in a race against time with this, and all I'm concerned with is applying before she turns 18, which will be in October.

Sounds to me like it’s fine but there’s always an “in case”

• 2 months later...

My latest obstacle is the CRBA appointment itself.  They don't seem to release dates far enough in advance where I can plan - the visa (my visa to get me into Russia), scheduling time off work, getting my daughter, and going to the appointment.  For example the calendar now shows that all May dates are fully booked and June hasn't even opened up yet.  When they do open the dates up, they barely give you a month's notice, and then they only open up 8 days per month for CRBAs.  How am I supposed to orchestrate this trip??

This is what I've decided to do.  I'm still mailing in the I-130 information which will ultimately result in an appointment date that I will be able to control somewhat - and extend if need be.  I've already paid all the fees anyway.  So I will use that date to get into the Embassy and then I will hand them my CRBA paperwork.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Can this plan backfire?

Edited by Gawain

3 hours ago, Gawain said:

This is what I've decided to do.  I'm still mailing in the I-130 information which will ultimately result in an appointment date that I will be able to control somewhat - and extend if need be.  I've already paid all the fees anyway.  So I will use that date to get into the Embassy and then I will hand them my CRBA paperwork.

Have you checked with the embassy if they will even let you apply without a CRBA appointment, but on your daughter's visa interview appointment?

Also, according to the embassy website, Moscow has not even resumed routine immigrant visa processing.  I doubt your daughter would get scheduled for a visa interview before October.  If that interview date you're hoping for is after her 18th birthday, there would be no point turning in the CRBA paperwork.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.