jkai0025

DCF Timelines - COVID

9 posts in this topic

My husband and I were luckily able to file DCF via Paris, though we live in Lisbon, Portugal (Paris embassy has jurisdiction over Portugal when it comes to immigration visas). We are now preparing the DS-260 and soon to schedule the interview. Any other fellow DCF couples who have either filed through Paris or generally in Europe? For those of you who have managed to file DCF during the pandemic, any idea how long the next step takes once the DS-260 is submitted? Thanks and happy to be a part of this community! 

17 minutes ago, Sokna100 said:

Hello dear 

it’s moving pretty quick, from the D260 you only have few months for your interview date, make sure you have all your civil documents ready 

Great thank you Sokna! Do you know if Covid is delaying the process at all? Also, is it usual for the embassy to grant visas on the spot after the interview? I think I saw this happening in the Paris embassy but want to be sure. 

Congrats!

Once the consulate approved your request everything became your responsibility to keep track of and do.  You need to schedule your biometrics and medical and your consulate appointment.  Anything that you would have provided to the NVC stateside you need to take to the interview.  This includes I-864s, US tax returns, proof that your USC spouse intends to re-establish domicile, police clearance certificates and ALL of the civil documents.

You have to be very proactive as this is something, especially at posts like Paris that haven't done DCF as normal course in a long time, isn't really prepared for.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

3 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Congrats!

Once the consulate approved your request everything became your responsibility to keep track of and do.  You need to schedule your biometrics and medical and your consulate appointment.  Anything that you would have provided to the NVC stateside you need to take to the interview.  This includes I-864s, US tax returns, proof that your USC spouse intends to re-establish domicile, police clearance certificates and ALL of the civil documents.

You have to be very proactive as this is something, especially at posts like Paris that haven't done DCF as normal course in a long time, isn't really prepared for.

Thank you! We are quite pleased that we have the DCF process as an option. It certainly looks like it is much faster. We are in the process of getting all our ducks in line including the biometrics, medical and appointment (along with all the other documentation). Yes, I understand that the Paris embassy only accepts direct file for special situations, ours being my imminent job relocation. This being the case, I presume domicile is already established - I submitted my employment letter to the embassy at our in-person I-130 interview. 

In terms of my previous question, should we fulfill all the requirements and provide all documentation, do you know if it is typical for the spouse to receive immediate approval at the end of the interview? Given we do not need to go to the NVC stage I am wondering whether there is another waiting period after the interview or if the husband can possibly get his visa approved on the spot. Thanks! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/26/2020 at 3:43 AM, jkai0025 said:

Thank you! We are quite pleased that we have the DCF process as an option. It certainly looks like it is much faster. We are in the process of getting all our ducks in line including the biometrics, medical and appointment (along with all the other documentation). Yes, I understand that the Paris embassy only accepts direct file for special situations, ours being my imminent job relocation. This being the case, I presume domicile is already established - I submitted my employment letter to the embassy at our in-person I-130 interview. 

In terms of my previous question, should we fulfill all the requirements and provide all documentation, do you know if it is typical for the spouse to receive immediate approval at the end of the interview? Given we do not need to go to the NVC stage I am wondering whether there is another waiting period after the interview or if the husband can possibly get his visa approved on the spot. Thanks! 

Its possible to be told your "approved " on the spot but that should not be confused with the issuing of the visa which doesn't occur on the spot

YMMV

12 hours ago, payxibka said:

Its possible to be told your "approved " on the spot but that should not be confused with the issuing of the visa which doesn't occur on the spot

Yes, that is what I assumed was the case. Good to hear! Right, virtually all passports need to be submitted (and mailed back) as a result to receive a visa stamp correct? 

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2020 at 10:43 AM, jkai0025 said:

Yes, I understand that the Paris embassy only accepts direct file for special situations, ours being my imminent job relocation.

Curious to hear how this process went for you! Can you share any info about the timing? I'm curious to know if it is allowed for the American partner to move back to the US shortly after the application? I also have a job offer with a short relocation notice so it will already be pushing it to move back my start date in order to get our paperwork ready to apply. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, Mk8 said:

Curious to hear how this process went for you! Can you share any info about the timing? I'm curious to know if it is allowed for the American partner to move back to the US shortly after the application? I also have a job offer with a short relocation notice so it will already be pushing it to move back my start date in order to get our paperwork ready to apply. 

Hi there, sorry for my delayed response! Thrilled to report that my husband has just been granted his visa after his interview this month. I think timing really depends on what embassy you're filing through. We went through the Paris Embassy, which was quite smooth. Of course we were a bit worried with the second wave of lockdowns  in Europe and since we both had to travel from Portugal to Paris during the pandemic to file in person we were playing with multiple factors. But happy to report back that it worked out as well as could be!

in terms of timing, I accepted my job offer end of October and within a week of requesting a direct file with Paris we received an email response granting us the option of doing a direct file. We were given an in-person appointment for a week or two later towards the end of November (we both had to physically be there unlike the interview). Next day we received a confirmation that our filing was accepted for processing. By that point I left to fly to the US ahead of my husband. The interview was scheduled for mid-January where my husband was told his application is preliminarily approved. Thereafter, he received an email confirming his passport  with visa affixed was mailed out and it was received a little less than a week later. 

But one thing to note with the interview date is it can be delayed until you have all of your police certificates and medical exam finished. For my husband he lived in multiple countries so it was a hassle getting original certificates mailed back during the pandemic. My suggestion is as soon as you file your application at the embassy start requesting those certificates as soon as possible. For the medical check, there are only a few doctors that the embassies use and they get booked up ahead of time. 

Hope this helps! So good news, it CAN be quite quick (for us it was three months from start to finish) in practice a lot of this also depends on you, the petitioner and beneficiary. There are lots of moving parts and you need to get your ducks in line as fast as you can. We managed to do that and got it done in the quickest timeframe possible. Also, note this may vary depending on which embassy you're filing at! Good luck! Know that this is still possible during Covid! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.