Allovertheworld

Black Listed from Philippines for comments on Social Media

32 posts in this topic

It's appalling to see foreigners coming to the Philippines insulting Filipinos when, in their own countries, they're very careful/scared. I am not directing this to any race--but it seems to me some people are innately bullies, and they just feel that they HAVE TO bully others. 

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

33 minutes ago, angeljolie said:

It's appalling to see foreigners coming to the Philippines insulting Filipinos when, in their own countries, they're very careful/scared. I am not directing this to any race--but it seems to me some people are innately bullies, and they just feel that they HAVE TO bully others. 

Mine post was more directed to talking about the Philippines in general

From the way they have handled the COVID or how there is so much theft and corruption in the government all the way down to mayors and other elected officials...

14 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Be careful when using such a broad brush.  I agree that there are quite a few expats to be avoided, but not just Americans.

Where I live in Subic Bay Freeport on the old U.S. Navy base, we have many respected expats from many countries.   Many have businesses and families.  We even have quite a few entire families of foreign expats.

People gravitate towards others like them.  If you see a group of loud mouthed drunk expats at a bar, don't assume all expats are like that.

I agree with everything you said.  It's just that I have encountered too many foreigners (often, but not always, American) who I simply can't stand.   I can't stand them or their arrogance.

If we move back there (which we probably will), I'll choose my friends carefully, but since we just go back for visits now, I just spend time with family.

1 hour ago, B_J said:

I agree with everything you said.  It's just that I have encountered too many foreigners (often, but not always, American) who I simply can't stand.   I can't stand them or their arrogance.

If we move back there (which we probably will), I'll choose my friends carefully, but since we just go back for visits now, I just spend time with family.

Its probably best to do what you would in any country, choose your friends wisely.  I have several American friends in the Philippines who I can trust my life with.  Ive given them large sums of money to hold until I had my work permit in Manila to open a bank account, plus I had an American friend write a check for the I-129F processing fee as I did not have a US bank account or credit card at the time.  If I were ever hospitalized, they would be there for me.  They have copies of my condo keys, my financial documents incase something would happen, etc etc.  There are decent people out there, but you just need to make wise decisions on who you interact with anyway.  Also, what is an American?  Im American strictly because I have a blue passport, but have no emotional ties to the country.  Ive been out of the US for the last 22 out of 24 years and many years before that period.  I would meet Americans while living overseas but I had nothing in common, in fact I didnt even know the subjects they were talking about.  I cannot honestly answer the question "where are you from."  After 126 countries and working in 12+ of those over a 30 year period, I can only answer by saying I was born in the US, but have been living all over.  Its simpler to just say a global nomad (although each year I have always filed my taxes and FBARs to the US govt).  Even being stuck in the US during this COVID time, and even though I am "American", I still cant relate to alot that goes on here, but yet Im expected to understand because Im a so called "American."  The K1 process is interesting as I am the sponsor, but my fiance is more "American" than I am.  

My early days with the Philippines I was either a tourist or did short-term business trips of less than a month or so.  I did this for around 5 years and I absolutely loved the country, thought the people were so nice and friendly, etc etc.  Then I took a job in Manila and after 10 years of doing that, my perception on some things completely changed.  This is not the right forum to go into those details, but the Philippines as I knew as a short-term visitor is not at all the Philippines as I know as an employee and long-time resident.  You will need a non-Filipino support base if your there for the long term.  They dont have to be American, but someone that shares similar cultural values, interests, etc because once you "really" get to know the country, youll see its not what you thought it once was (good or bad).  Working there will definitely provide you with a different perspective and since your spouse is a citizen, you will qualify for a 13A visa which does give you the right to work.  I highly encourage doing it, even just for a few years, as it will expose you to alot.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

33 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Its probably best to do what you would in any country, choose your friends wisely.  I have several American friends in the Philippines who I can trust my life with.  Ive given them large sums of money to hold until I had my work permit in Manila to open a bank account, plus I had an American friend write a check for the I-129F processing fee as I did not have a US bank account or credit card at the time.  If I were ever hospitalized, they would be there for me.  They have copies of my condo keys, my financial documents incase something would happen, etc etc.  There are decent people out there, but you just need to make wise decisions on who you interact with anyway.  Also, what is an American?  Im American strictly because I have a blue passport, but have no emotional ties to the country.  Ive been out of the US for the last 22 out of 24 years and many years before that period.  I would meet Americans while living overseas but I had nothing in common, in fact I didnt even know the subjects they were talking about.  I cannot honestly answer the question "where are you from."  After 126 countries and working in 12+ of those over a 30 year period, I can only answer by saying I was born in the US, but have been living all over.  Its simpler to just say a global nomad (although each year I have always filed my taxes and FBARs to the US govt).  Even being stuck in the US during this COVID time, and even though I am "American", I still cant relate to alot that goes on here, but yet Im expected to understand because Im a so called "American."  The K1 process is interesting as I am the sponsor, but my fiance is more "American" than I am.  

My early days with the Philippines I was either a tourist or did short-term business trips of less than a month or so.  I did this for around 5 years and I absolutely loved the country, thought the people were so nice and friendly, etc etc.  Then I took a job in Manila and after 10 years of doing that, my perception on some things completely changed.  This is not the right forum to go into those details, but the Philippines as I knew as a short-term visitor is not at all the Philippines as I know as an employee and long-time resident.  You will need a non-Filipino support base if your there for the long term.  They dont have to be American, but someone that shares similar cultural values, interests, etc because once you "really" get to know the country, youll see its not what you thought it once was (good or bad).  Working there will definitely provide you with a different perspective and since your spouse is a citizen, you will qualify for a 13A visa which does give you the right to work.  I highly encourage doing it, even just for a few years, as it will expose you to alot.  

If we move over there, I have no intention of working.  Possible teaching at a college or working as a school administrator, but probably not.  My plan is to do as little as possible.  That's one of the few things I'm good at.

I know what you mean about finding people you trust and I happen to trust my wife's family the way you described.  

Understand that almost everybody I've encountered on this forum has been pretty decent.  There have been a few who have come on here to brag about their exploits in the Philippines.  Eventually, they discover that's not what this forum is about.  

1 hour ago, B_J said:

If we move over there, I have no intention of working.  Possible teaching at a college or working as a school administrator, but probably not.  My plan is to do as little as possible.  That's one of the few things I'm good at.

I know what you mean about finding people you trust and I happen to trust my wife's family the way you described.  

Understand that almost everybody I've encountered on this forum has been pretty decent.  There have been a few who have come on here to brag about their exploits in the Philippines.  Eventually, they discover that's not what this forum is about.  

Agreed. If I wanted to work I would just stay here and keep the job I have. When I'm done I'm done. Like you I can do very little very well))) It's pretty easy to spot the people I want to avoid when I'm there. If not two or three minutes of discussion does the trick))

Finally done...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
27 minutes ago, boris64 said:

It's pretty easy to spot the people I want to avoid when I'm there. If not two or three minutes of discussion does the trick))

I resemble that remark.   :)

YMMV

17 hours ago, B_J said:

As an American, of course I have my biases but there is one origin country that seems to account for most of the rude expat incidents in my area.  I won't say which one but it is not the U.S.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Just now, seekingthetruth said:

As an American, of course I have my biases but there is one origin country that seems to account for most of the rude expat incidents in my area.  I won't say which one but it is not the U.S.

For me I never see any rude expats, I hardly see any Americans when I go to the Philippines.

I have been in Cebu and noticed there is a ton of guys from Australia there, and large group from Europe.  I know in Davao City there very few Americans that you see, and also Manila since it so big you rarely see Americans outside the airport.

The Aussie guys in Cebu tend to be heavy drinkers and frequent the  bikini bars there quit a bit.  But it's been 5 years since I have been to Cebu area, I used to make at least a yearly trip there and hang out for about a week.

1 hour ago, seekingthetruth said:

When I go to the KTV bars in Manila area, they are full of Japanese and Koreans and the place seem to cater to them.

3 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

For me I never see any rude expats, I hardly see any Americans when I go to the Philippines.

I have been in Cebu and noticed there is a ton of guys from Australia there, and large group from Europe.  I know in Davao City there very few Americans that you see, and also Manila since it so big you rarely see Americans outside the airport.

The Aussie guys in Cebu tend to be heavy drinkers and frequent the  bikini bars there quit a bit.  But it's been 5 years since I have been to Cebu area, I used to make at least a yearly trip there and hang out for about a week.

When I am in Mindanao at my wife's barangay I feel a bit like Colonel Kurtz))))

Finally done...

1 hour ago, boris64 said:

When I am in Mindanao at my wife's barangay I feel a bit like Colonel Kurtz))))

Why? Are you using barbaric forms of suppression on the locals?

Finally done.

9 minutes ago, Talako said:

Why? Are you using barbaric forms of suppression on the locals?

Maybe a poor example)) But, I did feel strange the first time I went there.

Finally done...

31 minutes ago, boris64 said:

Maybe a poor example)) But, I did feel strange the first time I went there.

Maybe we can switch from the insane, murderous Colonel to Sesame Street.

🎵 "One of these is not like the other..." 🎵

Get that song out of your head now.

Finally done.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:12 PM, Allovertheworld said:

Mine post was more directed to talking about the Philippines in general

From the way they have handled the COVID or how there is so much theft and corruption in the government all the way down to mayors and other elected officials...

Filipinos don't usually hate foreigners for posts like this because heck we feel the same way about the government. Filipinos, and I guess this is true for all races, won't take any racism or belittling from foreigners. Especially not in the home court.

But still, tact is paramount. Just think of it this way-- you are a VISITOR, so please act like one. I'm sure everyone here has been a visitor (may it be in another country or a friend's house) so you know what I mean.

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.