Allovertheworld

Black Listed from Philippines for comments on Social Media

32 posts in this topic

I'm sure it happens. Tread lightly. There are definitely expats who turn other expats in for immigration offences.

Edited by boris64

Finally done...

5 hours ago, boris64 said:

I'm sure it happens. Tread lightly. There are definitely expats who turn other expats in for immigration offences.

Seems like that is somewhat common in the Philippines.  Definitely more than most countries.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

9 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Do you know anyone who was banned / blacklisted from entering the Philippines due to post on Social Media?

I have always heard some ex pats who got kicked out of the Philippines spend their days turning over other posters to BI hoping to get someone else blacklisted.

It has happened, this was five years ago but it was big news back in 2015. 

https://advox.globalvoices.org/2015/05/09/philippines-deports-thai-worker-for-insulting-filipinos-on-facebook/

1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

Seems like that is somewhat common in the Philippines.  Definitely more than most countries.

The Philippines does attract a large group of what I would label as "odd."

Finally done.

4 hours ago, Talako said:

The Philippines does attract a large group of what I would label as "odd."

I have seen that quite a bit on the Expat forum in years past. It has cooled down now in the last couple of years but they were still talking about a couple of old members who were picked up, deported, and blackballed from the PI for some offenses. 

The only time I have run into trouble in the Philippines has always been with expats, from my first run in with one in 1998 when I didn't want to give a random expat 20 bucks at the mall.  

Whenever I see an American in the Philippines, I just assume that I wouldn't like them and I'd rather not get to know them.  That has always worked out for me.

They only two people I have ran into that were friendly, talkative, and their agenda was plainly evident was a couple of young American Mormons in Bacolod.  They found expats weird as well.

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, B_J said:

Whenever I see an American in the Philippines, I just assume that I wouldn't like them and I'd rather not get to know them.  That has always worked out for me.

Not the same for me. I was in Manila, had a Alabama Football hat on when I hear... "Roll Tide". The guy was from Tuscaloosa which is just South of me.

Had a good conversation and still talk to him occasionally.

5 hours ago, Talako said:

They only two people I have ran into that were friendly, talkative, and their agenda was plainly evident was a couple of young American Mormons in Bacolod.  They found expats weird as well.

Its not just the Philippines, its the whole region.  Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines, somewhat Indonesia, etc.  The region attracts alot of undesirables.  A portion of the people are on the run from the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.  There is a good percentage of expats in the Philippines hiding on home country drug charges, money laundering, child support avoiders, bail jumpers etc.  The longer in the region the more you come across it.  Ive pretty much lived in the region since around 1997 and nothing stuns me anymore when I hear something about an expat.   It used to be much worse back in the 90s and earlier to mid 2000s.  Cost of living and GDP per capita are growing quite fast so that is starting to push some people out of SE Asia. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

14 hours ago, Kby175 said:

The only time I have run into trouble in the Philippines has always been with expats, from my first run in with one in 1998 when I didn't want to give a random expat 20 bucks at the mall.  

8 hours ago, B_J said:

Be careful when using such a broad brush.  I agree that there are quite a few expats to be avoided, but not just Americans.

Where I live in Subic Bay Freeport on the old U.S. Navy base, we have many respected expats from many countries.   Many have businesses and families.  We even have quite a few entire families of foreign expats.

People gravitate towards others like them.  If you see a group of loud mouthed drunk expats at a bar, don't assume all expats are like that.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

2 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

Its not just the Philippines, its the whole region.  Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines, somewhat Indonesia, etc.  The region attracts alot of undesirables.  A portion of the people are on the run from the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.  There is a good percentage of expats in the Philippines hiding on home country drug charges, money laundering, child support avoiders, bail jumpers etc.  The longer in the region the more you come across it.  Ive pretty much lived in the region since around 1997 and nothing stuns me anymore when I hear something about an expat.   It used to be much worse back in the 90s and earlier to mid 2000s.  Cost of living and GDP per capita are growing quite fast so that is starting to push some people out of SE Asia. 

I have heard this exact thing from many people living in the Philippines and Thailand. These people tend to gravitate to newly arrived expats to try and skim/scam them that it is extremely sad

21 hours ago, B_J said:

Not the same for me either.

I befriended a couple American in Davao City back in 2012, it was there first trip there and one guy was had Philippines parents.  I took them out and toured them around both night and day. One guy found his fiance on one of our excursions, they have been married for almost a decade now.

I met a dude from Australia in Manila a long time ago, we are still good friends today.  

12 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

Its not just the Philippines, its the whole region.  Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines, somewhat Indonesia, etc.  The region attracts alot of undesirables.  A portion of the people are on the run from the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.  There is a good percentage of expats in the Philippines hiding on home country drug charges, money laundering, child support avoiders, bail jumpers etc.  

Agreed......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.