TBoneTX

All Things Coronavirus (Part 2)

2,372 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, yuna628 said:

I think it is good to get a test if one is exposed. But a negative, even after a brief interaction isn't going to prove much because it could take anywhere in the 14 day window to receive a positive hit. And there have been examples of persons critically ill and for whatever reason, coming up negative (it seems to be rare but can happen). I think there is less concern about false positives (you should get a repeat to be sure and especially if inconclusive), and more about false negatives.. but like I said, depending on the circumstances, a negative can only get you so far.

People should at least self quarantine and monitor symptoms if they have been exposed to someone who tested positive.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

15 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

People should at least self quarantine and monitor symptoms if they have been exposed to someone who tested positive.

Which is what we were told -- and why we rushed to get tested. We had both had symptoms for a week, since the possible exposure, but looking back it's likely we had symptoms before the exposure. When I got the negative and was told I had a cold, it was more likely that's what we have, or had. He's still waiting over 72 hours later for the result. Rightly or not, he's decided my negative means he's negative as well, and was fed up enough with waiting to go see his sister, who's staying in an apartment nearby. I argued that he should wait, but what can I do in reality? He had seen her in the interim, before we got the heads up. It's all such a mess, for all of us. 

LA County is implementing a strong Safer at Home order on Monday morning. I've had to cancel an outdoor distanced picnic with one of my best friends we'd had planned, so I could meet her baby who's almost 2 months old. I've had to cancel helping one of my oldest friends move into her new house. I can't see my parents, even at a distance, again, even though we were hugging only 5 weeks ago. I have done everything right, again and again and again, and I'm stuck doing Zooms with my family who live only miles away. 

My husband has a glimmer of hope which we grabbed -- the quarantine is dropping in England from 14 to 5 days on 12/15 if a visitor gets a private, pre-booked test at the end of it and clears it. He is desperate to see his daughter after almost 9 months. It means he'll be gone over Christmas, and there's no need for me to be there so I won't go. We're clicking all the bits of planning into place, the self-isolation in London and the testing and then borrowing a car to drive to Dorset in the Southwest. It will be hard to be alone, but he deserves it. 

It's all so sad, every day, all the time. 

54 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Which is what we were told -- and why we rushed to get tested. We had both had symptoms for a week, since the possible exposure, but looking back it's likely we had symptoms before the exposure. When I got the negative and was told I had a cold, it was more likely that's what we have, or had. He's still waiting over 72 hours later for the result. Rightly or not, he's decided my negative means he's negative as well, and was fed up enough with waiting to go see his sister, who's staying in an apartment nearby. I argued that he should wait, but what can I do in reality? He had seen her in the interim, before we got the heads up. It's all such a mess, for all of us. 

LA County is implementing a strong Safer at Home order on Monday morning. I've had to cancel an outdoor distanced picnic with one of my best friends we'd had planned, so I could meet her baby who's almost 2 months old. I've had to cancel helping one of my oldest friends move into her new house. I can't see my parents, even at a distance, again, even though we were hugging only 5 weeks ago. I have done everything right, again and again and again, and I'm stuck doing Zooms with my family who live only miles away. 

My husband has a glimmer of hope which we grabbed -- the quarantine is dropping in England from 14 to 5 days on 12/15 if a visitor gets a private, pre-booked test at the end of it and clears it. He is desperate to see his daughter after almost 9 months. It means he'll be gone over Christmas, and there's no need for me to be there so I won't go. We're clicking all the bits of planning into place, the self-isolation in London and the testing and then borrowing a car to drive to Dorset in the Southwest. It will be hard to be alone, but he deserves it. 

Hopefully they will be able to scale up the vaccine production quickly over the next few months after the vaccines are approved. 

10 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Hopefully they will be able to scale up the vaccine production quickly over the next few months after the vaccines are approved. 

Hoping for it. It's been so hard to have them be apart this long.

Edited by laylalex

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Prizm123 said:

dont know about zinc, but you can get a bottle with a years worth of d3 at costco

its what i use

I haven't seen any shortage of Vitamin D either.

1 hour ago, laylalex said:

Hello fellow Angeleno (sounds like it): it's gonna be okay. Remember how weird it was in April and May, lining up at the supermarket to get inside? It's going to be like that again, except we'll have toilet tissue and disinfectant. 

My ex (British) is thinking about going home in the new year to see his mum, whom he hasn't seen since last December, and to arrange for the transport of a primrose yellow Morris of some variety. He was always excited to go home to Kent, but even more so to be able to be able travel elsewhere within a few days. He can eat the cost -- he's a producer and director here in LA now. Hang in there. It's been a weird 9 months but we can all make it work if we pitch in. Shoot me a PM if you need some support nearby. I've been through the entire VJ mill, from I-130 to naturalization. Ask anyone on VJ -- I don't bite (that often).

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, laylalex said:

IronyMeter1.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

8 hours ago, laylalex said:

He was in contact with someone positive at work, then self quarantined without symptoms, but both the governor and his husband ended up testing positive.

10 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

He was in contact with someone positive at work, then self quarantined without symptoms, but both the governor and his husband ended up testing positive.

Thanks -- I saw "spouse" and defaulted to "wife" because he's a man. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

gee it's almost like the mask didn't work?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

1 minute ago, Ban Hammer said:

gee it's almost like the mask didn't work?

Most people actually understand that masks only work to a degree. They are primarily for stopping incidental spread and for limiting the infectious dose of the virus. They are not going to work indefinitely if you are around someone who is positive for an extended period of time, and they actually wouldn't need to if so many people hadn't doubled down on stubbornness and selfishness and stupidity over wearing them. 

12 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Thanks -- I saw "spouse" and defaulted to "wife" because he's a man. 

I just wanted to add in that he was in contact with someone at work who later had symptoms so people didn't confuse this with the mayor of Denver travelling for Thanksgiving.  The governor has taken flak over some of his policies, but as far as I have seen, he has always acted with Covid by doing exactly what he has asked others to do. 

Unfortunately we are at about ~1 in 40 people positive for Covid now in Colorado, so it's going to be very difficult to turn things around with just masks and social distancing. Another lock down is probably imminent.

2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I just wanted to add in that he was in contact with someone at work who later had symptoms so people didn't confuse this with the mayor of Denver travelling for Thanksgiving.  The governor has taken flak over some of his policies, but as far as I have seen, he has always acted with Covid by doing exactly what he has asked others to do. 

Unfortunately we are at about ~1 in 40 people positive for Covid now in Colorado, so it's going to be very difficult to turn things around with just masks and social distancing. Another lock down is probably imminent.

1 in 145 in our county and we're going into a modified stay at home tomorrow. I'm surprised that there's not a lockdown there with numbers that high. :(