Sausagedog

Joint Sponsor after being approved at NVC

3 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm just after a bit of advice and guidance. We were recently approved by NVC but with this message:

[Petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted. FINANCIAL SPONSORSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES: Financial sponsors, joint sponsors, and applicants should be aware of responsibilities when signing an I-864 and the consequences for a sponsored immigrant's acceptance of federal means-tested public benefits. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos.

This is due to my employer offering me a transfer in the same role I am currently in so technically my source of income will remain the same after I emigrate. It seems a little bit to me that NVC doesn't ultimately want to make a decision on this so they are passing the buck to the Consulate. Obviously I don't want to get all the way to this stage and be rejected, setting us back months and months of progress. Immediately arranged a Joint Sponsor, so my question is, would it be best to add this to our NVC account now before I gets sent to the consulate, or have all of the documents and forms filled out and take them to the interview once it is arrange? Does anyone have any experience with adding documents after the fact?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

The NVC does not make decisions on the Affidavit of Support.  The US Embassy/Consulate makes the decisions.  So, no buck was not passed.

What you got is standard boiler plate when using assets or the immigrant's income.  

If your income will continue and you're confident that the US Embassy/Consulate will accept it, then you probably don't need a Joint Sponsor.  The NVC is simply advising you that having a Joint Sponsor may help you avoid any delays in determining whether you income will be acceptable.  

Arranging for a Joint Sponsor sooner in the system is better than bringing paperwork to the interview.  Paperwork sprung on the US Embassy/Consulate at the interview may cause a delay since they may want to verify information they have not received beforehand.  

Best of luck.  

Ah that makes more sense, thank you for the clarification. I guess I was just concerned that if I were to add a joint sponsor now that it might "reset" our progress within the NVC, but realistically that is probably better than being refused or sent back to the beginning due to lack of evidence.

I was confident but there is really not a lot of information out there on what they consider to be "same source of income" so I think for our peace of mind I'd rather just submit a Joint Sponsor.

Thank you again, I'll get to work getting all of the forms and documents together and get it uploaded ASAP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.