aratamorne

N-400 November 2020 Filers

451 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
9 minutes ago, oakland71 said:

@ImmiGeekso how did the same day oath and interview pan out? what are the latest oath timings at SFO center to be able to squeeze into same day oath? Also, did your pursuit of certified copy of naturalization certificate materialize?

It went well. SFO is really doing well in accommodating the same day Oath as much as they can. There was one Oath session at 10 AM, One at 1PM, Mine at 2PM etc. These sessions are what I know from other forum members who has attended along with me. But there are few more Oath sessions across the day. So, as long as your interview is approved may be before 3 PM, 98% chances that you get your Oath also be done the same day.
Certified copy trial didnt fly. This can be done by only DOS(Dept of State) while they said that there is no DOS in that building. I have called USCIS infopass, they are setting up an appointment but I didnt wait for it(as it could take a month or so for the appointment), I have proceeded with Passport application with Original NC.

Edited by ImmiGeek

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, November 2020 Filers,

Just a quick message to say I finally got my N-400 interview scheduled. I am based in Maryland. I received an email from the no-reply USCIS email address, informing me an action on my case has been taken. The digital appointment notice was in the documents section of my online USCIS account. I am sure a paper letter is coming soon too. 

The appointment is scheduled for the Baltimore Office, located on Koppers Street, on March 9th. I’ve been to this office 3 times: for I-751 biometrics and two I-751 stamps - with the most recent visit on December 15, 2021. I hope those of you based in the DMV area will receive your notices soon too.

Few words about my immigration history.

July 1, 2017: entered USA on a marriage-based green card (CR1).

April 18, 2019: applied for removal of conditions on my green card (I-751).

April 22, 2019: received the standard receipt/extension letter for my green card (Notice of Action I-797).

July 3, 2019: I-751 is stuck on “Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview” step.

December 18, 2020: 1st InfoPass Appointment to get I-751 stamp in my passport.

February 4, 2020: I-751 is still stuck on “Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview” step.

November 15, 2020: applied for N-400 with my I-751 still pending.

February 1, 2021: USCIS letter notifying me my biometrics can be reused, and I don't need to appear to submit them again.

December 15, 2021: 2nd InfoPass Appointment to get another I-751 stamp in my passport.

February 1, 2022: received online notice for N-400 interview.

When I spoke to USCIS officer, who stamped my passport for I-751, they told me they are trying to make progress on N-400 applications, and hopefully I will hear from them soon. That was this December.

I assume it will be a combined interview for I-751 and N-400. My wife and I are intending to bring 4 years of tax returns, some bank statements, house title, and other documents proving our relationship to the interview. Let me know if you have other suggestions. Right now, I am re-revising my N-400 test questions, looking forward to March, and really hoping I would be lucky to have the Oath ceremony on the same day (my interview is around midday).

Finally, this is a wonderful community. My wife and I have been reading information shared here since the beginning of our journey in 2016. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your stories and suggestions. I am sure countless people in similar situations benefited from your experience and advice.

I will report back on my progress.

Edited by senza_sordini
Spoiler

April 22, 2019: received the standard receipt/extension letter for my green card (Notice of Action I-797).

July 3, 2019: I-751 is stuck on “Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview” step.

February 4, 2020: I-751 is still stuck on “Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview” step.

February 1, 2021: USCIS letter notifying me my biometrics can be reused, and I don't need to appear to submit them again.

December 15, 2021: 2nd InfoPass Appointment to get another I-751 stamp in my passport.

March 9, 2022: N-400 interview, combined with I-751 interview. I passed N-400, but the officer needed to make additional checks to approve my I-751.

March 10, 2022: Received online notice that my N-400 was recommended for approval.

March 11, 2022: Received online notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

March 14 or 15, 2022: Received I-797 Notice of Action by mail to inform me I-751 was approved together with N-400.

March 25, 2022: Oath Ceremony and Citizenship.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:05 AM, senza_sordini said:

Just a quick message to say I finally got my N-400 interview scheduled. I am based in Maryland. I received an email from the no-reply USCIS email address, informing me an action on my case has been taken. The digital appointment notice was in the documents section of my online USCIS account. I am sure a paper letter is coming soon too. 

The appointment is scheduled for the Baltimore Office, located on Koppers Street, on March 9th. I’ve been to this office 3 times: for I-751 biometrics and two I-751 stamps - with the most recent visit on December 15, 2021. I hope those of you based in the DMV area will receive your notices soon too.

When I spoke to USCIS officer, who stamped my passport for I-751, they told me they are trying to make progress on N-400 applications, and hopefully I will hear from them soon. That was this December.

I assume it will be a combined interview for I-751 and N-400. My wife and I are intending to bring 4 years of tax returns, some bank statements, house title, and other documents proving our relationship to the interview. Let me know if you have other suggestions. Right now, I am re-revising my N-400 test questions, looking forward to March, and really hoping I would be lucky to have the Oath ceremony on the same day (my interview is around midday).

Finally, this is a wonderful community. My wife and I have been reading information shared here since the beginning of our journey in 2016. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your stories and suggestions. I am sure countless people in similar situations benefited from your experience and advice.

Good for you! I’m also from Maryland but still waiting for the notification. I’m only a few days apart from your date of application, and hearing good news from you brings hope to my case as well. Seriously, our office has been too stagnant. Good luck on your interview.

1 hour ago, yoh said:

Good for you! I’m also from Maryland but still waiting for the notification. I’m only a few days apart from your date of application, and hearing good news from you brings hope to my case as well. Seriously, our office has been too stagnant. Good luck on your interview.

Thank you, Yoh. I agree, it’s been very slow. I hope my update provides hope to others, and I hope you also have good news to share soon!

Every time I've been to the Baltimore USCIS office, there were people waiting for interviews. I'd say at least 10-15 in the waiting area last time I went in December. So things are happening even though it seems like they don't.

Edited by senza_sordini
Spoiler

March 9, 2022: N-400 interview, combined with I-751 interview. I passed N-400, but the officer needed to make additional checks to approve my I-751.

March 10, 2022: Received online notice that my N-400 was recommended for approval.

March 14 or 15, 2022: Received I-797 Notice of Action by mail to inform me I-751 was approved together with N-400.

Hello Nov 2020 filers!

I had my interview today in the Sacramento, CA office and got (recommended for) approval. Hopefully I get my oath ceremony soon! 

Today I got a notification saying that the mailed my Oath Ceremony!! Feb 24th!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 10:05 AM, senza_sordini said:

Update:

I passed my N400 interview, but the USCIS officer needs extra time to make a final decision on my I-751. They need to check their internal database to ensure nothing is out of order. If everything looks good, I will receive a letter with the Oath Ceremony date via mail. If they have questions, they will be in touch. I was told I should hopefully hear back in the next couple of days.

I entered the USCIS office 20 min before my appointment for N400. They didn't let my wife in because the appointment invitation had just my name on it. They said they will let her in if she is called during the interview. I checked in. The clerk took my appointment letter and asked me to sit down and wait for my name to be called out. I was called about 20 min after my original appointment time - pretty good! They were really moving, and people entered and exited the rooms pretty frequently.

The N400 interview began with fingerprints, photo, passing the expired green card to the officer, and the civics test: the author of the Declaration, ocean on the East Coast of the U.S., who was the U.S. at war with in the 20th century, what happened during the constitutional convention, why 13 stripes on the flag, and one other question. Then I read a sentence out and wrote down the answer dictated to me. We talked about where I met my wife, her job, and then my job. After that, we went through the questions on my application. Finally, I signed two documents (promising to uphold the Constitution and accepting something about the oath - I don't remember the details now). Then we gently moved to I-751 questions.

I offered some additional evidence of our relationship (mostly financial documents with our names on them and the deed to our house). The officer accepted those. They didn't want to take the originals but took joint statement copies from our bank. They asked if there was anything else I wanted to include with my application, which was pretty disarming. Like, I don't know! Maybe? So I asked whether they might need anything else or whether there was anything I was missing. They assured me that they have everything they might need already. They said they were satisfied with my answers and didn't need to see my wife (who was still waiting in the car outside). They explained that I passed my N400, but since my I-751 is still technically pending, it needs to be approved first. They said they cannot do this on the spot and need extra time. I assured them I understand. I asked if they had a timeframe, and they said it should be pretty quick. Basically, they were happy with the I-751 interview. As long as nothing looks weird on their end, it sounds like everything should be alright.

I am happy I passed N400, but a little disappointed I have to wait to see what they say about I-751 (which has been pending for years now). And then who knows when the date of my ceremony will be! I hope pretty soon, assuming they hold ceremonies in the USCIS office every day. If this helps anyone, the officer explained that I-751 processing time takes about 2 to 2.5 years on average, which is why I had to wait so long. This is small consolation, but better than nothing.

I am going to rest now and will keep you updated. Best of luck to everyone with your process.

Spoiler

Another update.

My case got recommended for approval and now the status changed to “Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled”. That was a quick turn around! I assume this means all is well, and whatever they needed to check on their end was in order.

This time, I received notification via text and email (it only came via email before). I am very happy to hear the news and look forward to hearing about the date of my ceremony.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Here it is April 11th, 2022 and still nothing happening with our case. Nothing since February 2021 when we got the reuse biometrics notice. 

I did just file the online form for outside normal processing times today so maybe that will help speed things along? 

Anyone else still in limbo???

Edited to add: I am in Oklahoma.

Edited by nancy72
Wanted to add location

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, nancy72 said:

I did just file the online form for outside normal processing times today so maybe that will help speed things along? 

Also try filing FOIA request, write to the local senator, congressman etc.

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

7 hours ago, nancy72 said:

Here it is April 11th, 2022 and still nothing happening with our case. Nothing since February 2021 when we got the reuse biometrics notice. 

Hello @nancy72,

The advice my American friends gave me was to get in touch with my local representative's office. I live in Silver Spring, Maryland - so for me, it was Jamie Raskin's office. His website even had a separate section called "Help with a Federal Agency" with a special PDF form for USCIS. Your representative's office may be different, and reaching out doesn't guarantee help, but who knows. The same friends told me the representative's office often chases federal agencies for an answer - it's their job. In my case, I filled out the form and let it sit till the morning, so I could read over it again before emailing it. Coincidentally, that was the same day I heard about the date of my interview (like you, I heard nothing since the February 2021 biometrics reuse notice). 

I am sorry to hear about the delay - it sucks. I hope you hear something soon.

Unrelated, I have a small update from my Baltimore USCIS office oath ceremony. First, they allowed spouses on the day despite what the notice said (no one else other than an interpreter or mobility assistant was allowed to enter the oath ceremony). Second, please-please take ALL of your expired and current green cards. You will need to hand the physical cards over to USCIS. Someone turned up without one, and they had to be turned away.

Spoiler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, nancy72 said:

My wife is in the same boat with the Baltimore office.  We already did a FOIA and now submitted the out of processing request.  FOIA shows last time anyone looked at it, she had a pending I-751 pending and no determination could be made by a case worker on 9-21-2021 for a Case flag, which is if she had been a permanent resident for 3 years.  She had been and we filed online based on the 90 days early that is allowed.  

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Update: 9 months until estimated completion date now listed on our account.

I never heard back about the outside normal processing times that I did online on the 11th of April either. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello everyone! We got the appointment for interview on April 26th, 2022. Interview scheduled for yesterday, June 15, 2022. 

He passed!!!! Yay!!! 

Online account updated to: "Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled" later that day.

So excited!!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.