manilaexandraaa

Specific STD/STI that they test for the medical exam in the Philippines?

9 posts in this topic

*TRIGGER WARNING*: sexual abuse

Hello everyone! I am new here. I am from the Philippines. I would just like to know if any fellow Filipinos know the complete and specific STD/STI tests they do in the medical exam especially for women?

Before I graduated college, I was raped. Long story short, he also left me with something that my three doctors are giving different opinions about. One of them said it's just BV, the other said it's Gonorrhea (she looked like she wasn't sure though while she was telling me), and this recent doctor said she doesn't believe it's gonorrhea but I do have severe inflammation in my cervix based from my second pap smear. I have been prescribed multiple expensive antibiotics since July up to this month. I have taken Syphillis, HIV, HPV tests and they all came back non-reactive. I don't know why gonorrhea test here for women seems to be uncommon.

But yeah, rest assured I am doing everything just to get better, but due to this, I want to do all the exact same STD/STI tests they do in the medical exam just so I know I wouldn't fail it in the actual one.

Thank you very much in advanced! :)

*** Moved this topic to the Regional (Philippines) section of the forum so the poster can get adequate help.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

First, I am really sorry that this happened to you. Apart from the medical treatment you are already receiving, I hope you're getting counseling for the psychological harm done to you. And that the ###### who did this to you gets what's coming to him. 

Pre-pandemic, LoveYourself.ph used to offer free STD testing, including HIV, gonorrhea and syphilis. They have clinics in Shaw and Manila. Hopefully they are open.

In any case, gonorrhea and many other STDs are curable and as long as you complete your current treatment,  should not be grounds for you to fail the SLEC medical exam.

I haven't gone through the SLEC medical exam yet so I can't give you any specifics about their testing protocols. I don't expect to need to do it for several months still, but I can send you a PM once I do :)

Stay strong and be kind to yourself!

26 minutes ago, Adventine said:

First, I am really sorry that this happened to you. Apart from the medical treatment you are already receiving, I hope you're getting counseling for the psychological harm done to you. And that the ###### who did this to you gets what's coming to him. 

Pre-pandemic, LoveYourself.ph used to offer free STD testing, including HIV, gonorrhea and syphilis. They have clinics in Shaw and Manila. Hopefully they are open.

In any case, gonorrhea and many other STDs are curable and as long as you complete your current treatment,  should not be grounds for you to fail the SLEC medical exam.

I haven't gone through the SLEC medical exam yet so I can't give you any specifics about their testing protocols. I don't expect to need to do it for several months still, but I can send you a PM once I do :)

Stay strong and be kind to yourself!

Thank you very much for your kind words ❤️

I have contacted them, but they said they only do it for men. It seems like it's pretty hard to look for one that does it for women for some reason. I've been experiencing one symptom (green discharge, sorry if it's too graphic) and it hasn't disappeared since June despite all the meds I've taken, so I'm doing everything to complete my treatment but it seems it doesn't go away easily.

It really is depressing how I've sought three doctors already and had multiple visits with them and yet they all give different opinions

hence, I'm looking for answers for myself too by looking for that test that seems to be not easily available for women :(

wishing you the best of luck to your visa journey!! ❤️

They only do gonorrhea tests only for men? That's so strange. Can they refer you to other testing centers who can do the test for women?

Also, if you have doubts about the effectiveness of your treatment, you need to be up front with your doctors or change doctors (again). I know that's easier said than done when you've already consulted three.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The testing is not gender specific at SLEC

MEDICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS

• Physical Examination - Required for all applicants, regardless of age
  • Interferon Gamma Release Assay (IGRA) Test - Required for applicants 2-14 years of age
  • Chest X-ray (CXR) - Required for all adult applicants aged 15 and above, or children who had exposure to TB Cases or history of TB disease
  • Syphilis Test - Required for applicants 15 years old and above
  • Gonorrhea Test - Required for applicants 15 years old and above

https://slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.php#required-exams

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, manilaexandraaa said:

I'm looking for answers for myself too by looking for that test that seems to be not easily available for women :(

Just want to share some information that could help in your search for proper testing and treatment.  These are the instructions for the screening that CDC expects of SLEC --

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/technical-instructions/panel-physicians/gonorrhea.html

I hope you get the help you need.  Best wishes to you.

5 hours ago, manilaexandraaa said:

Thank you very much for your kind words ❤️

I have contacted them, but they said they only do it for men. It seems like it's pretty hard to look for one that does it for women for some reason. I've been experiencing one symptom (green discharge, sorry if it's too graphic) and it hasn't disappeared since June despite all the meds I've taken, so I'm doing everything to complete my treatment but it seems it doesn't go away easily.

It really is depressing how I've sought three doctors already and had multiple visits with them and yet they all give different opinions

hence, I'm looking for answers for myself too by looking for that test that seems to be not easily available for women :(

wishing you the best of luck to your visa journey!! ❤️

Have you considered Hi Precision?  They are all over Manila and have 50+ different testing packages depending what your needs are.  They range from liver, kidney, STD, thyroid, etc etc.  They dont discriminate by sex.  Get your tests done there and then look for a competent doctor to evaluate the results.  I have never been to a doctor in the Philippines without having to get 2-3 opinions as its too difficult to find competent ones, and that includes at the international hospitals.  You cant use the Hi Precision results as part of your visa, but it would provide you a check and balance towards what SLEC will do.  

You may have a case of the "super gonorrhea" strand which is present in the Philippines.  If thats the case, you will just need some strong medication and a competent doctor.  I am no doctor so take my advice as just an assumption.  

I wouldnt worry about the medical for the visa based on STDs.  They are curable, except HIV, but nowadays that wont disqualify you for a visa.  I know in the early 2000s that would disqualify a person, but sometime around 2006 or 08 or something like that, it changed. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.