EmptySeats

SSN after AOS, before EAD

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

My now-wife moved here in April, in the middle of the COVID first wave in this area (NJ). We were married in July, and didn't handle the SSN before then. Part of the reason is that she already has a social security number from when she had a campus job here 12 years ago. So I always felt her situation was different than others in that she has a number, just needs to learn it again - which one would assume is an easier process than actually having a new number created for you. Also, with everything closed it's not like pre-COVID where you could just walk into an office. It would involve losing ones passport for who knows how long, which is unsettling.

In late July, we reached out to the local SSA, via phone. The representative said it was fine that the I-94 was expired, and to just send the marriage license and the passport/k1. Of course, that was not true and we received a rejection exactly 4 weeks later in late August. Their rejection letter said that there was no proof of legal status in the US, which I assume is what they tell to everyone with an expired I-94. The NOA from AOS would provide legal status.

Later in September, we filed for AOS, EAD, and AP. In our EAP application, she asked that they not give her a social security number since we planned to handle that with the local SSA (who is not very informative at all over the phone - and everyone says something different). We planned to send her passport/k1, I-94, and NOA for AOS to prove legal status, along with an explanation that the SS number would be necessary to obtain a driver's license - which is the main reason we wanted to get the SS card before the work visa (along with establishing credit, but that's less of a necessity right now).

Which of these 2 options do you think is the best? 

1) Sending these documents (passport/visa, AOS NOA, and I-94) to the social security office. They say it can take 5 weeks to get the card, and the people on the phone are very unhelpful. The representatives are unable to give us much info besides "send us your documents".

2) According to the SS office, they are accepting in-person visits for people who need new, not replacement, social security cards. You fax your request and they call you to schedule and appointment. Also, one SSA employee she spoke to claims that an old social security number from student work is dead and you should treat it like it's an entirely new card and number. I don't think this is true... but it's their own bad, contradictory information they give on the phone. Should my wife just claim she needs a new SS # to get an in person meeting where she can vouch for herself more than sending her passport away for a month or more? If they discover she already has a number, they'd just give her the old number again, just as EAD would have done? No.

Any other opinions on the quickest way to get a social would be helpful. It's been a confusing scenario - having a 12 year-old social but not knowing the number anymore - and all of the COVID delays plus misinformation from the office.

Regarding USCIS, is there any way to tell them that in fact she does want her SS Card with EAD? I assume not but just curious.

Thanks a lot. The local SSA has been amazingly unhelpful with this.

Edited by EmptySeats

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Old Social Security numbers do not die.  She needs a replacement card.  Follow SSA instructions for replacing the card.

For clarification purposes:  Pending adjustment of status is not a legal status in the US.  After submitting a proper I-485, a person is granted authorized stay (which is not a legal status) in the US until the I-485 is adjudicated. 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Old Social Security numbers do not die.  She needs a replacement card.  Follow SSA instructions for replacing the card.

For clarification purposes:  Pending adjustment of status is not a legal status in the US.  After submitting a proper I-485, a person is granted authorized stay (which is not a legal status) in the US until the I-485 is adjudicated. 

So basically she has to wait until EAD is in her hand and then apply for a social security card, since we did not check that she'd like a SS# on the I-765?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

So basically she has to wait until EAD is in her hand and then apply for a social security card, since we did not check that she'd like a SS# on the I-765?

She should apply to the SSA to get a replacement card by mail.  She already has an active number.  

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lucky Cat said:

She should apply to the SSA to get a replacement card.  She already has an active number.  

But she doesn't know the number. That's the issue.

Getting a replacement card when you don't have the old number is more complicated. With the number, you can just do it online, as I have done in the past for myself. When you don't know the number, they want your documents and legal status in the mail. We thought it would be an easier process when you already have a number vs when you don't, but it's not so.

Timeline
1 minute ago, EmptySeats said:

But she doesn't know the number. That's the issue.

Getting a replacement card when you don't have the old number is more complicated. With the number, you can just do it online, as I have done in the past for myself. When you don't know the number, they want your documents and legal status in the mail. We thought it would be an easier process when you already have a number vs when you don't, but it's not so.

I know she doesn't know the number. Yes, it is easier when you know the number.   I don't know why legal status would be required for a replacement card.  I would send everything, along with the I-797.  

Timeline

I guess she could try to get the appointment, then explain it to them (your option #2 in your post).  Just explain, at the appointment,  that she already has a number.

Edited by Lucky Cat

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I say go in person, talk with supervisor.  No more fone work, unless to secure walk in appointment time. 

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.