Stuwoolf

Immi Visa Issued - Getting a Flight UK US

27 posts in this topic

We had a flight booked for Nov 24 - Glasgow-LHR-Newark. The flight was BA. It was cancelled by the airline.

I know its a fluid situation but does anyone have a strategy to book a flight which has a good chance of actually flying?

My thoughts are trying to book the LHR to US leg with an american based airline eg United, American Airlines or even via Amsterdam (KLM) and Delta. My thought process is a foreign based air line eg KLM (Dutch) or United (US) are more likely to want to be back on home soil and therefore more likely to actually fly from UK.

Any thoughts on this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I’m not sure about Newark.. 

but for California at least, I find that booking flights that go to major airports like SFO and LAX are less likely to be cancelled than SJC. (If I transit in Japan).

sometimes try checking the airline / code share to see which days they actually have flights because some airlines reduced their flights from every day to like only two days in  a week.. etc. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Stuwoolf said:

We had a flight booked for Nov 24 - Glasgow-LHR-Newark. The flight was BA. It was cancelled by the airline.

I know its a fluid situation but does anyone have a strategy to book a flight which has a good chance of actually flying?

My thoughts are trying to book the LHR to US leg with an american based airline eg United, American Airlines or even via Amsterdam (KLM) and Delta. My thought process is a foreign based air line eg KLM (Dutch) or United (US) are more likely to want to be back on home soil and therefore more likely to actually fly from UK.

Any thoughts on this?

On a side note - I was reminded by the consular officer that interviewed me to make sure my transit country is not in the banned list. 

and with United - check your flight from transit country. 
Because I previously had multiple cancellations because flying out of SJC means I will end up having a transit of >24 hours in japan which is usually ok. 
but during covid it’s not because it means I’ll have to quarantine in japan before I can leave. 
flying out of SFO solved my problem because transit was for the same day. 

18 minutes ago, Muffinji said:

On a side note - I was reminded by the consular officer that interviewed me to make sure my transit country is not in the banned list. 

and with United - check your flight from transit country. 
Because I previously had multiple cancellations because flying out of SJC means I will end up having a transit of >24 hours in japan which is usually ok. 
but during covid it’s not because it means I’ll have to quarantine in japan before I can leave. 
flying out of SFO solved my problem because transit was for the same day. 

Thanks.

When looking for flights I always seek out Stops of no more than 2.5 hours, so quarantine shouldnt be an issue if transiting thru Amsterdam or Dublin. Or will it be an issue?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Stuwoolf said:

Thanks.

When looking for flights I always seek out Stops of no more than 2.5 hours, so quarantine shouldnt be an issue if transiting thru Amsterdam or Dublin. Or will it be an issue?

Presidential Proclamations on Novel Coronavirus:  Entry of foreign nationals who were physically present within the following list of countries within 14 days prior to their entry or attempted entry into the United States is suspended, per Presidential Proclamations 9984, 9992, 9993, 9996 and 10041:

- Brazil;

- The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe;

- The Republic of Ireland;

- The 26 countries that comprise the Schengen Area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland)

- The Islamic Republic of Iran;

- The People’s Republic of China, not including the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau

There are certain exceptions to the suspension of entry, including exceptions for U.S. lawful permanent residents and certain family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, among other exceptions listed in the proclamations.
(it is possible that the airline automatically cancels the flight since its going through a LHR/ Amsterdam) 

- you might need to check if you need to be at another country that isn’t banned for 14 days before being allowed to enter / do you need to contact airline to show proof that you are exempt from the ban to enter USA? 🤔 

I’m not sure about it because I’m not affected and only plan to avoid transiting in those countries. 

Edited by Muffinji
Spelling

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

other thoughts 

when you transit thru any county ,  you go thru their customs and immigration and need time for that 

Delta has (at this time ) one way from Glascow to Miami (lay over in netherlands)

if you go thru Canada or Mexico ,  then customs and immigration need to done

Edited by JeanneAdil

10 hours ago, Muffinji said:

I was reminded by the consular officer that interviewed me to make sure my transit country is not in the banned list. 

Even if you transit through a country covered under the ban proclamation, you are exempted from the travel ban because you are a spouse of a USC.  Same with OP.

I flew United from LHR to EWR at the end of September no problems, although a flight at the same time to Dulles was cancelled and a lot of those people ended up on my plane. Ten days ago I took a Delta flight from LHR to Philadelphia with a stop in Atlanta with no problems. Today my husband and kids are flying non-stop from LHR to Philadelphia. 

In all the research we did for all those flights, we found that trying to fly from anywhere other than Heathrow (was looking at Manchester, New Castle, Edinburgh and Glasgow) was too risky. It's a pain in the backside to go down to Heathrow the night before and stay in a hotel, but I think you might have the best chance that way. 

Obviously that's only one person's experience, hopefully others will be able to chip in. 

4 minutes ago, The4Sands said:

I flew United from LHR to EWR at the end of September no problems, although a flight at the same time to Dulles was cancelled and a lot of those people ended up on my plane. Ten days ago I took a Delta flight from LHR to Philadelphia with a stop in Atlanta with no problems. Today my husband and kids are flying non-stop from LHR to Philadelphia. 

In all the research we did for all those flights, we found that trying to fly from anywhere other than Heathrow (was looking at Manchester, New Castle, Edinburgh and Glasgow) was too risky. It's a pain in the backside to go down to Heathrow the night before and stay in a hotel, but I think you might have the best chance that way. 

Obviously that's only one person's experience, hopefully others will be able to chip in. 

Sound advice. I have a Plan B which is to leave from Heathrow.

Thank you🙂

BA are mit serving EWR temporarily. UA still are out of LHR. Or there are several options for LHR - JFK. 

I work for an airline. I would stick to major hubs only at this time - JFK, LAX, SFO, MIA, ATL, IAH and avoid places like DTW, MSP, EWR, BOS. The risk of cancellation for less-used gateways is too high. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
19 hours ago, Stuwoolf said:

Any thoughts on this?

I sure would like to know this myself. I booked 4 flights from Colombia so far, and lost alot of money. The only thing you can do, is book with the airline direct. Some website bookings, will take a non refundable cut for booking. Cheapoair takes $80 fee when the flight is cancelled by the airline. They don't even notify you, if you like to change the flight, they just cancel, and steal your money.  Airlines are booking flights, that don't exist, this way they have operating money, do to covid, they have your money for 3 month before they refund your money. 

1 hour ago, JFH said:

BA are mit serving EWR temporarily. UA still are out of LHR. Or there are several options for LHR - JFK. 

I work for an airline. I would stick to major hubs only at this time - JFK, LAX, SFO, MIA, ATL, IAH and avoid places like DTW, MSP, EWR, BOS. The risk of cancellation for less-used gateways is too high. 

Great advice. Thank you🙂

~~moved to moving here and your new life from DCF. Topic is not about DCF.~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

3 hours ago, JFH said:

Thank you this is really informative. Particularly helpful from someone in the airline industry.

The options we have looked at are Glasgow - LHR then West Palm Beach. Miami. JFK. Newark. Orlando. Ft Lauderdale. Some of these flights require a 2nd stop via Amsterdam and Atlanta.

I presume, if the list had to be rated as most likely to fly, it would be,

1. JFK

2. Miami

3. Newark

4. Orlando

5. Ft Lauderdale

6. West Palm Beach

Grateful for your opinion. (I understand its an opinion and you cannot be held accountable!)

Thanks🙂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.