Atc05

Guidance on bringing wife and daughter to the states

4 posts in this topic

I’m currently stationed in South Korea I met my wife over a year ago and we recently got married in September. I’ve read the guides on this site and the USCIS site and just had a few more questions. 

1. she will be returning to Kazakhstan soon,  I will be filing an I-130 for her and her daughter.  It seems daunting at best,  at what point will they be able to join me in the states?

2. I worry about her interview, she speaks 5 languages and English is probably her weakest, while she is practicing, will this be a problem?

3. Would her and her daughters I-130 be the same “case” or would I track both separately, Like would the 2 applications stay together for the process?

honestly I’m just looking for some peace of mind, it’s intimidating at this point but I am completely happy with her and would like to keep it that way. For context we are both in our 30s, we could handle the time apart but ideally we make that as short as possible.

thanks.

1) she can join you as soon as the immigrant visa is granted. There is no restriction on her visiting united states to see you as long as she can prove that she can return home after the visit

2) you can get a translator - not a huge issue

3) most likely yes

Relax, have patience, ask questions on this forum if you need clarity. so may experts here  and most of the folks here have gone through the process

You can start my reading here 

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

1.  What’s your DEROS? They can travel with you when you leave Korea. 
2. Translator is great option, this will not hinder a interview decision

3. Both her and her daughter will be on the same I-130. 
Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help. The immigration process is much easier then most people think 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

1.  Your wife can join you in the US when she has an immigrant visa.  Your wife can not immigrate to the US based on your military orders.  Military orders do not convey immigrant benefits to foreign spouses.  

2.  US embassies can conduct visa interviews in local languages.  

3.  You will need to file separate I-130 for your wife and your stepdaughter.  They can not be on the same I-130.  Derivative beneficiary children are not allowed when a USC petitions for a spouse.  Their cases will be treated separately by USCIS.  At the NVC, you can have the cases linked together so they can have their visa interviews together.  

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.