R1CH1991

London CR1 / IR1 Appointment Updates

2,850 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Melancholic Mage said:

Hello all, new here to the Forum. I have a few questions about the interview process as I've found a lot of confusing information online. 

Myself and my partner (US Citizen) are currently apart due to complicated circumstances. They're at home in the US and I'm grounded here in my home country the UK. We were Documentarily Qualified (DQ'd, is that right? 🫠) on May 23rd. They plan to visit once we get that interview date so we can then book in medical, attend interview etc together. We've been married since March 23. I-130 was submitted the month after on April 23.

My questions:

Can I visit my husband in the US while my visa is processing/awaiting an IL (Interview Letter, is that right)? 

We didn't provide any additional documentation with I-130 or DS-260 such as marriage photos, communication, etc as online this was advised against: only give what is asked for. But now I'm seeing some threads where they were asked for this. Can I get any extra thoughts on this? 

We were hoping to have all of this cleared and for me to enter the US early August. Is this a fairytale dream or do you think from your experiences here this is possible? 

I've visited his family on an ESTA three times now over the span of four to five years. Will this help with our visa application? And the big question which I've seen some people claim: is there a chance we're eligible for a visa waiver? Even though I haven't undergone a medical? Some Reddit posts claimed this but I'm sceptical. 

Thank you so much for reading through this. I'll keep this thread updated with updates from my end. 

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t visit your husband, just expect extra questions at customs and make sure you have proof of a job, residence etc. 

Relationship evidence, I am not sure what to suggest, as we submitted ours during the I-130. I doubt they would DQ you if they didn’t think there was enough evidence. Maybe bring things to the interview just in case. 

I was DQ’d end of March, got my interview letter end of April and I genuinely am sat in the embassy as I write this waiting for the second part of my interview (June 17th). I think August is going to be tight honestly.

Of course visiting will help, and I suspect they will ask you (and myself shortly) how often you visit. 

Nobody here or on reddit has mentioned ever getting a medical waiver for our visa type as far as I can see. Although the medical is expensive, I was in and out the door there in 45 minutes and that was with an extra injection. 

@Melancholic Mage

3 hours ago, Melancholic Mage said:

Hello all, new here to the Forum. I have a few questions about the interview process as I've found a lot of confusing information online. 

Myself and my partner (US Citizen) are currently apart due to complicated circumstances. They're at home in the US and I'm grounded here in my home country the UK. We were Documentarily Qualified (DQ'd, is that right? 🫠) on May 23rd. They plan to visit once we get that interview date so we can then book in medical, attend interview etc together. We've been married since March 23. I-130 was submitted the month after on April 23.

My questions:

Can I visit my husband in the US while my visa is processing/awaiting an IL (Interview Letter, is that right)? 

We didn't provide any additional documentation with I-130 or DS-260 such as marriage photos, communication, etc as online this was advised against: only give what is asked for. But now I'm seeing some threads where they were asked for this. Can I get any extra thoughts on this? 

We were hoping to have all of this cleared and for me to enter the US early August. Is this a fairytale dream or do you think from your experiences here this is possible? 

I've visited his family on an ESTA three times now over the span of four to five years. Will this help with our visa application? And the big question which I've seen some people claim: is there a chance we're eligible for a visa waiver? Even though I haven't undergone a medical? Some Reddit posts claimed this but I'm sceptical. 

Thank you so much for reading through this. I'll keep this thread updated with updates from my end. 

@Melancholic Mage

I've just come from visiting my husband last week as a last minute visit-he was rushed to hospital on the 1st of June. The officer didn't ask any questions other than why I was there and I just said to see my husband. No further questioning. Like advised, just have your proof of residence, employment etc in the UK when you do visit. 

We handed in all our relationship evidence with the I-130 package. I suspect you'll be asked to send this in by the Interviewing officer when you go for your interview. 

4 hours ago, Haynes said:

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t visit your husband, just expect extra questions at customs and make sure you have proof of a job, residence etc. 

Relationship evidence, I am not sure what to suggest, as we submitted ours during the I-130. I doubt they would DQ you if they didn’t think there was enough evidence. Maybe bring things to the interview just in case. 

I was DQ’d end of March, got my interview letter end of April and I genuinely am sat in the embassy as I write this waiting for the second part of my interview (June 17th). I think August is going to be tight honestly.

Of course visiting will help, and I suspect they will ask you (and myself shortly) how often you visit. 

Nobody here or on reddit has mentioned ever getting a medical waiver for our visa type as far as I can see. Although the medical is expensive, I was in and out the door there in 45 minutes and that was with an extra injection. 

Thanks for responding - congrats on being at the embassy! I hope it went well. 

When reading the small print/help boxes during the I-130/DS-260, it actually said NOT to upload relationship photos etc. Would having images/screenshots on my phone be enough or would you recommend printouts given your interview experience? Wedding album, maybe? 

Can you explain what you mean by second part of the interview? I thought it was just one long interview, one part, and that was that. 

Ah, I mean people on Reddit claiming they got a visa interview waiver. The interview being skipped completely and they instead getting sent their visa. I don't know if they submitted their medical records before the interview, or applied for a waiver, but there's some posts floating around about it. Confusing. 

Your medical - I read that there's a required vaccine that can't be given in the UK. Was that a problem for you? Does it cost more getting missing vaccinations, and what does the medical detail? Bit worried about it. I was going to book mine in a week or two before the interview date, once I get one. 

Proof of job and residence I take it would just be UK P60, payslips, bills, utility letters and such? I might struggle with that. 

Just to explain a little, myself and my US husband lived together in the UK for about 5 years, but we got a no-fault eviction notice last year. Landlord was just like 'I want to sell, get out in two months'. It was awful. The UK government still haven't prevented this unjustified way of making honest people homeless. We couldn't fight it despite being no-problem tenants, did nothing wrong, and were so worried it would affect our visa. We also couldn't find let alone go into another rental property without signing a contract for at least one year minimum, which we didn't want to do because of the visa timeline and it possibly processing. Imagine getting the visa and being contractually obligated to stay behind? It was also far more expensive than what we were paying. Hence us now having to live countries apart with our parents temporarily until the visa processes. To say it's incredibly hard? Understatement. 

56 minutes ago, AfrobabeUK said:

@Melancholic Mage

@Melancholic Mage

I've just come from visiting my husband last week as a last minute visit-he was rushed to hospital on the 1st of June. The officer didn't ask any questions other than why I was there and I just said to see my husband. No further questioning. Like advised, just have your proof of residence, employment etc in the UK when you do visit. 

We handed in all our relationship evidence with the I-130 package. I suspect you'll be asked to send this in by the Interviewing officer when you go for your interview. 

Oh no, I hope your husband is okay! How stressful. I hope you're alright. Thank you for your reassurances. I have a whole month booked off start of August so hoping I can visit my husband then. See if I don't get an IL before that, or worse, get an interview arranged for a date while I'm over there visiting. It's a headache to navigate all this... 

Is there any other relationship evidence bar photos and conversations you provided? Just so I'm prepared if I need more evidence. 

Thank you to you both for the information given so far. 

Edited by Melancholic Mage

21 minutes ago, Melancholic Mage said:

When reading the small print/help boxes during the I-130/DS-260, it actually said NOT to upload relationship photos etc. Would having images/screenshots on my phone be enough or would you recommend printouts given your interview experience? Wedding album, maybe? 

Can you explain what you mean by second part of the interview? I thought it was just one long interview, one part, and that was that. 

Ah, I mean people on Reddit claiming they got a visa interview waiver. The interview being skipped completely and they instead getting sent their visa. I don't know if they submitted their medical records before the interview, or applied for a waiver, but there's some posts floating around about it. Confusing. 

Your medical - I read that there's a required vaccine that can't be given in the UK. Was that a problem for you? Does it cost more getting missing vaccinations, and what does the medical detail? Bit worried about it. I was going to book mine in a week or two before the interview date, once I get one. 

Proof of job and residence I take it would just be UK P60, payslips, bills, utility letters and such? I might struggle with that. 

Just to explain a little, myself and my US husband lived together in the UK for about 5 years, but we got a no-fault eviction notice last year. Landlord was just like 'I want to sell, get out in two months'. It was awful. The UK government still haven't prevented this unjustified way of making honest people homeless. We couldn't fight it despite being no-problem tenants, did nothing wrong, and were so worried it would affect our visa. We also couldn't find let alone go into another rental property without signing a contract for at least one year minimum, which we didn't want to do because of the visa timeline and it possibly processing. Imagine getting the visa and being contractually obligated to stay behind? It was also far more expensive than what we were paying. Hence us now having to live countries apart with our parents temporarily until the visa processes. To say it's incredibly hard? Understatement. 

Oh no, I hope your husband is okay! How stressful. I hope you're alright. Thank you for your reassurances. I have a whole month booked off start of August so hoping I can visit my husband then. See if I don't get an IL before that, or worse, get an interview arranged for a date while I'm over there visiting. It's a headache to navigate all this... 

Is there any other relationship evidence bar photos and conversations you provided? Just so I'm prepared if I need more evidence. 

It's not 'one long interview', it's usually 5 minutes if that. But it's two steps, firstly you're called up to the window to hand over your documents. Then you sit back down again and wait to be called again for the actual interview. 

The interview waiver isn't for those apply for an immigrant visa via consular processing. It's only for those applying for non-immigrant visas. So you'll definitely have an interview. 

Good luck. 

Edited by appleblossom

6 hours ago, Melancholic Mage said:

He's ok now,he's only now due to have an outpatient procedure requiring a night in hospital. He was in hospital for 7 nights with various tests,treatments and procedures being done. I'm OK now, not so when I got the message of hospitalisation!

We provided boarding passes for all trips I took to the US and within the US together, letters/emails,communications from start of knowing each other up until the last date I-130 package was mailed.(we're a large age gap couple) so didn't want any doubts! I being younger than him.

As you have lived together, get leases,financial info &bills showing you lived together and any birth certificates if you have children together. 

The one vaccine I'm aware of that the UK doesn't do is the Varicella, but it's offered at your medical. 

Best of luck. 

1 hour ago, k_punam said:

Just got my interview letter through. My interview is on the 7th August.

That's great! Thanks for sharing. If I go off your timescale, I might get an interview for September then being DQ'd late May. I'll have to wait and see. 

2 hours ago, k_punam said:

congrats!! really happy that you finally know!!

On 6/9/2024 at 2:42 AM, waitingforvisa-uk said:

DQ'd on April 18th. Still awaiting any further emails, but from what I can read above it seems like it should be soon!

Hello! Did you receive an IL yesterday? 

22 hours ago, k_punam said:

I think you might be the only IL sent for June... Like it happened in May for us IR1/CR1 category...

Don't know what has happened with London embassy to only be giving barely any slots for our category per month 

52 minutes ago, Nat Murph said:

I think you might be the only IL sent for June... Like it happened in May for us IR1/CR1 category...

Don't know what has happened with London embassy to only be giving barely any slots for our category per month 

What is London's usual IL amount? I've heard London Embassy is fast but then popping on this thread there's a lot of people saying it's slowed down completely.

1 hour ago, Melancholic Mage said:

What is London's usual IL amount? I've heard London Embassy is fast but then popping on this thread there's a lot of people saying it's slowed down completely.

According to those that report their IL’s on different forums, for IR1/CR1 category, maybe like 10ish but whose to say those that haven't joined any forums ya know? But recently, for May- only like 1 person reported getting an IL. And now for June, again only 1 person has reported getting an IL.. And both of those were DQ’d on the same day (April 18th)! Which is really troubling.. I now another member on this forum was also DQ’d on April 18th (making that 3 reported being dq’d on that day) but they haven't said if they got their letter yesterday.. I messaged them on a earlier thread so will see what they have said. 

But as of right now… someone DQ’d on April 21st and myself (dq’d April 24th) have not received anything. And nvc usually sends out IL’s to those that will receive one for that issuing month on the same day… so I feel so sick to think another month or longer to get an IL for me. 

Just cannot believe it.. 

12 minutes ago, Nat Murph said:

According to those that report their IL’s on different forums, for IR1/CR1 category, maybe like 10ish but whose to say those that haven't joined any forums ya know? But recently, for May- only like 1 person reported getting an IL. And now for June, again only 1 person has reported getting an IL.. And both of those were DQ’d on the same day (April 18th)! Which is really troubling.. I now another member on this forum was also DQ’d on April 18th (making that 3 reported being dq’d on that day) but they haven't said if they got their letter yesterday.. I messaged them on a earlier thread so will see what they have said. 

But as of right now… someone DQ’d on April 21st and myself (dq’d April 24th) have not received anything. And nvc usually sends out IL’s to those that will receive one for that issuing month on the same day… so I feel so sick to think another month or longer to get an IL for me. 

Just cannot believe it.. 

Thanks for getting back to me. That's worrying to hear. I know 'how long is a piece of string' heavily applies to the US visa process, but it's very difficult getting essentially stonewalled when all you're trying to find out is an estimate.

Being apart from my husband, especially in my own delicate circumstances where I'm living in an unsafe household for the time being, is needless to say exacerbating poor health. I'm sure you're in a similar situation in terms of dealing with the stress and anxiety that comes with the process.

Any news and I'll be sure to update. I was DQ'd May 22nd.

At least we're trying to measure the string together. Hang in there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.