Grace29

My experience flying to Philippines today

19 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Grace29 said:

Next I had to apply for my quarantine certificate. I did that online and am waiting for that. You need both the certificate and negative test result before the hotel will let you check out. I did confirm after I get that I can check out and go be with my wife in Makati for the remaining 14 day quarantine period. Happy to answer any questions you have.

So after certificates and negative result the remaining quarantine period is "Self Quarantine"?

31 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

So after certificates and negative result the remaining quarantine period is "Self Quarantine"?

Yes, that is what I have been told both at the airport and the hotel. I heard conflicting information before arriving, but it seems clear you are free to self quarantine after those two items are obtained.

So for a hotel booking, would it be sufficient to just book 3-4 days? And would you be able to get on a flight to elsewhere on the Philippines? My wife wants to go next year and check on family in Mindanao but it seems so unclear, all the requirements.

1 hour ago, Snorkel378 said:

So for a hotel booking, would it be sufficient to just book 3-4 days? And would you be able to get on a flight to elsewhere on the Philippines? My wife wants to go next year and check on family in Mindanao but it seems so unclear, all the requirements.

I actually booked 14 nights thinking it was necessary and 2 people at the airport asked if it was refundable since I shouldn’t be there more than 3 days assuming a negative result so 3-4 days should be more than fine. Once she gets the quarantine certificate she should be able to fly but I know each province has different rules so you should check with the authorities where she is going just to make sure.

45 minutes ago, Snorkel378 said:

And was the test provided by PAL, or provided by NAIA, as a lot of the visa applications mention finding a testing provider.

The test is provided through NAIA it seems, but all the registration is done through PAL. I read the same thing as you and that is why I booked through PAL even though I would have preferred another carrier so I could use my frequent flyer miles for the ticket. I didn’t want to chance it since I’m not really sure what the process would be for another carrier.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Snorkel378 said:

Don't compare today's process with next year's.   Could all change tomorrow 

YMMV

34 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Don't compare today's process with next year's.   Could all change tomorrow 

I certainly hope so, but I’d like an understanding in case they do not. 

On 10/25/2020 at 6:02 AM, Grace29 said:

I just arrived....

Thanks for taking the time to update us on the current process. All the best.

Finally done...

18 hours ago, Grace29 said:

I actually booked 14 nights thinking it was necessary and 2 people at the airport asked if it was refundable since I shouldn’t be there more than 3 days assuming a negative result so 3-4 days should be more than fine. Once she gets the quarantine certificate she should be able to fly but I know each province has different rules so you should check with the authorities where she is going just to make sure.

The test is provided through NAIA it seems, but all the registration is done through PAL. I read the same thing as you and that is why I booked through PAL even though I would have preferred another carrier so I could use my frequent flyer miles for the ticket. I didn’t want to chance it since I’m not really sure what the process would be for another carrier.

Thanks for the update, that was extremely helpful.  For the flight, you mentioned business class was full, but do you know approximately how many people were at the gate waiting to board?  Im just curious what the rest of the plan looked like.

Also, how long was the process at NAIA, from the gate until you got out to the car?

Ive heard the same thing from other travelers that the process is really well run at NAIA which is good to hear.  If your staying in Manila, it seems there is a rather "loose" 14 day quarantine but going to the provinces may have a different quarantine in place, I believe Samar and Leyte have 3 weeks quarantine (2 at a government facility and 1 week at home), although this process could change.  

Also, one important question and probably the most important.  How long is your health certificate and COVID test results good for?  I have heard its 72 hours which if this is the case and you change condos or hotels, etc, you would have to take another COVID test plus get another health certificate but if you stay in one place this wont be an issue.  Also, I have heard pricing for subsequent PCR tests are around 3800-8000p.  You do have the option to take the Rapid test which is cheaper, but I wouldnt recommend this as the false positives (and negatives) are quite high and if you get a false positive, you will need to then do the PCR test at another cost.

Ill send in my documents for the visa tomorrow and if all goes well should be on the November 26th flights from JFK to Manila. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

1 hour ago, flicks1998 said:

Thanks for the update, that was extremely helpful.  For the flight, you mentioned business class was full, but do you know approximately how many people were at the gate waiting to board?  Im just curious what the rest of the plan looked like.

I would say the gate area looked like it was about 1/2 full. I fly a lot for work so I think my estimate is pretty accurate.

Also, how long was the process at NAIA, from the gate until you got out to the car?

Shockingly only about 20 mins total, that is after about 15 mins waiting on the plane after landing for authorities to arrive to go over procedures.

Ive heard the same thing from other travelers that the process is really well run at NAIA which is good to hear.  If your staying in Manila, it seems there is a rather "loose" 14 day quarantine but going to the provinces may have a different quarantine in place, I believe Samar and Leyte have 3 weeks quarantine (2 at a government facility and 1 week at home), although this process could change.  

Also, one important question and probably the most important.  How long is your health certificate and COVID test results good for?  I have heard its 72 hours which if this is the case and you change condos or hotels, etc, you would have to take another COVID test plus get another health certificate but if you stay in one place this wont be an issue.  Also, I have heard pricing for subsequent PCR tests are around 3800-8000p.  You do have the option to take the Rapid test which is cheaper, but I wouldnt recommend this as the false positives (and negatives) are quite high and if you get a false positive, you will need to then do the PCR test at another cost.

My positives about the process are tainted now. I’m still waiting for my quarantine certificate as I cannot check out of the hotel without it. They have phone numbers to follow up that either do not work or are always busy. Also they have an email address to follow up with for which I have done with no reply. This is the Philippines I expected. Still not sure why you need that certificate when you have a negative test. I have not heard the test is only good for 72 hours and the condo I’m going to after the hotel has already accepted my test so I don’t think another will be needed. As for the cost that is about the range I have seen as well.

33 minutes ago, Grace29 said:

I would say the gate area looked like it was about 1/2 full. I fly a lot for work so I think my estimate is pretty accurate.

Shockingly only about 20 mins total, that is after about 15 mins waiting on the plane after landing for authorities to arrive to go over procedures.

My positives about the process are tainted now. I’m still waiting for my quarantine certificate as I cannot check out of the hotel without it. They have phone numbers to follow up that either do not work or are always busy. Also they have an email address to follow up with for which I have done with no reply. This is the Philippines I expected. Still not sure why you need that certificate when you have a negative test. I have not heard the test is only good for 72 hours and the condo I’m going to after the hotel has already accepted my test so I don’t think another will be needed. As for the cost that is about the range I have seen as well.

OK great thanks.  Yes the condo should accept that test result for sure, but they will also request the certificate you are waiting on.  I believe if you were to change condos, then the new condo would require another test, but this may not be at every condo and the restrictions, etc are due to change in a few days anyway :)   I think they will be loosening restrictions more.

That was the same question I asked a few people there was what is the purpose of the certificate when I have the negative test results.  Nobody could answer that one, I was just told it was needed.  :)  

Have fun and glad everything so far has been relatively easy.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry, this may be a silly question, but where did you book your COVID tests ahead of time? I didn't know you could do that, and I'd like to get that done before we fly out next week. Thank you!

32 minutes ago, miggyab said:

Sorry, this may be a silly question, but where did you book your COVID tests ahead of time? I didn't know you could do that, and I'd like to get that done before we fly out next week. Thank you!

If you are flying PAL there is a link on their website to register for the test and you print out the QR code provided and it is scanned when you pay for the test (this is the first step after deplaning). If not flying PAL I’m not sure really as I couldn’t find any answers to that question and this is the main reason I booked with PAL.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.