Carpe Vinum

SRRV Visas Suspended

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

that would be my dream come true if she died before me.

That would mean I have lived to be over 100 years old............

Oh, you're talking about the other Philippines.  The one I know is third world country with Jeepneys, rabid dogs, questionable health care, dengue, pollution, and a whole host other things with undesirable outcomes. 

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

that would be my dream come true if she died before me.

That would mean I have lived to be over 100 years old............

How does that math work ?

YMMV

On 10/31/2020 at 2:33 AM, Allovertheworld said:

What is the difference between a 13A and the SRRV?  

Seems as if the SRRV requires a cash deposit into a Philippines bank,  and the 13a doesn't.

Why would people get the SRRV?  What is the pros and cons?

Short Pros / Cons list:

SRRV fee is about $1400 13A is about 16000 pesos($300)
SRRV annual is $360? 13a is about $6

Once the SRRV is granted it is easy and you can renew 3 years in advance, by post? 13a is still annual visit. Also the 13 a is done in two parts so it takes longer.

Deposit for SRRV, $10,000 with pension / retirement / social security, $20,000 without retirement, 13a Nothing (If your spouse dies and you do not have young child could get dicey or just switch to a tourist visa) I did have a friend who applied for his 13a visa while still living in the US and when he arrived they stamped the visa and he got around the one year probation by going this route. 

SRRV travel privilege is no departure tax after one annual payment
13A departure tax every time you leave.

Why would anyone want to retire to Philippines? 

The weather is hot and humid most of the times, the cuisine is below average at best and the poverty rate above 80% only invites issues and problems.

Go explore other parts of SE asia, places like Vietnam is so much better and the food and hotels and value of the US dollar is much better.

I dig the place to vacation and spend time there, but that's it for me.

6 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

The weather is hot and humid most of the times, the cuisine is below average at best and the poverty rate above 80% only invites issues and problems.

Go explore other parts of SE asia, places like Vietnam is so much better and the food and hotels and value of the US dollar is much better.

I think you're connection to the Philippines might be different than some of ours.

1.  If my wife dies, I'm not just going to shop around for another Filipina wife.  I have too much respect for her to even think of that.

2.  You've commented many times about how bothered you are that the Philippines, and Davao specifically, are locked down.  For most of us, we only want our family to be safe during this time.  We're not worried about bars being open for the amusement of tourists.  Family is what matters.

3.  Why would any of us want to retire in the Philippines?  Family.  If you don't already understand that, I don't think you would understand the explanation either.

That's all.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, B_J said:

I think you're connection to the Philippines might be different than some of ours.

This qualifies as the understatement of the year!

YMMV

35 minutes ago, payxibka said:

This qualifies as the understatement of the year!

You can't believe how bothered I am that I used the wrong "your".

Timeline
4 minutes ago, B_J said:

Blame it on auto correct 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, B_J said:

You can tell your grandchildren that there used to be 2 other ways of spelling ur.

10 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Might not be your cup of tea but for some of us we enjoy it there, I have lived in the Philippines off and on for the past 20 years. Should be making the move for good very soon, I am tired of working and it's almost time to retire.  

Hot and humid, I live in South East Texas pretty much the normal here.  

I have lived in Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, and very briefly Thailand, Vietnam is nice but no thx. When I first started traveling to the Philippines when the USD to PHP rate was 23 to 1, so close to 50 is cake.  The English speaking in the Philippines is a bonus.  

23 hours ago, Kby175 said:

Might not be your cup of tea but for some of us we enjoy it there, I have lived in the Philippines off and on for the past 20 years. Should be making the move for good very soon, I am tired of working and it's almost time to retire.  

Hot and humid, I live in South East Texas pretty much the normal here.  

I have lived in Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, and very briefly Thailand, Vietnam is nice but no thx. When I first started traveling to the Philippines when the USD to PHP rate was 23 to 1, so close to 50 is cake.  The English speaking in the Philippines is a bonus.  

English is the main advantage Philippines has over most other SE Asia countries, I will give you that. 

For me I don't mind working ,I have a business that runs itself while I am gone. So I am able to leave for extended time frame and earn as much money as if I was at home going to work.  I have about 6 guys who keep things running smoothly.

I just love the creature comforts I have , I love my city where Iive and my neighborhood, I live in what is regarded as one of the best cities in the USA to live, and usually my city is placed in the fastest growing cities in the USA the last decade or so.

I can dig visiting Philippines, and it's a fun place, but the poor infrastructure, slow internet, poor quality of food, and medical sure keeps it off my list of places to retire  and live.   I can do extended stays there, but don't think I could live there for years and years.    

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.