Squishiieee

K-1 Visa Intention of Marriage Evidence

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone! 

I'm brand new here and currently organizing the K-1 visa packet for submission. For the most part, I've organized a lot of evidence and the application is filled but I'm currently confused about one thing. Of course, we have plenty of evidence showing our intent to get married, including venue receipt here in Missouri, dress receipt, tux receipt, engagement photos, engagement ring receipts for both of us (I proposed to him first in person but he already had everything prepared to propose to me), and also documents of our intent of marriage in Morocco. This is where I have a question. My fiancé and I thought about submitting the paperwork we gathered for our intended (but canceled) wedding in Morocco as evidence. I gathered an FBI report, an apostilled statement of singlehood from my state's vital records office, I even scheduled an appointment to obtain a police report in Morocco (but I never went due to lack of time), I went to the consulate in Casablanca to obtain an affidavit of eligibility to marry which would expire in 6 months (it's expired now), and other documents. I couldn't return to Morocco. We had to cancel our wedding plans for May. The engagement was simple and intimate, at his mother's home among his most immediate family. We did not have an engagement ceremony of any kind and especially not a wedding. At the beginning, we thought it would be a good idea to submit all of the documents we gathered to show that marriage was always our intention but I've become to wonder if that could possibly lead to USCIS believing we got married (I've read so many nightmare stories). Based on others who've gotten married in Morocco, no one could get married with only two weeks of time to make it happen. It's impossible (for me) to get married in Morocco simply based on the wait times for the family court approval. I haven't returned to Morocco since getting engaged due to COVID-19 and even now, I am still waiting to be able to go visit my fiancé but I'm getting clearance from my work first. We decided we want to get married here instead and that's why we are pursuing the K-1. All of our documents are expired and can't even be used to marry in Morocco unless we re-do them all over again. Two weeks (which is all I get allowed from work) won't be enough to get approved for marriage and marry in Morocco. I know I've gotten off of the topic, but I wanted to give enough details. So, what do you all think? Should I submit them as evidence of our intent? 

Also, would anyone know an estimated timeframe for the K-1 visa? I know with COVID a lot has been pushed back. I tried using the Immigration Timelines tool but I didn't find a lot of current timelines (2020) for Morocco. 

Thank you in advance for any responses! :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Are you aware of the issues with K1's especially the added factors involving Morocco, or do you not fit into the normal situation?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Are you aware of the issues with K1's especially the added factors involving Morocco, or do you not fit into the normal situation?

No, but could you enlighten me? What are you referring to? Is there something about them I could read? I'm not sure what you mean by added factors. What is the normal situation? 

I apologize but I have a lot of questions.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

For example long delay ib being able to work, drive, cost of the process, I would start by reading on here especially the Regional Forum which has a lot of good information on this Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Have you only visited once? That will be the first thing you need to handle because just one visit is going to be a huge problem for the Casablanca embassy. @JeanneAdil is an expert on Morocco. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Morocco is a very difficult embassy to receive a K-1 visa. Also, the pandemic is playing havoc on the K-1 visa causing delays whereas the CR-1/IR-1 is processing much quicker.  We veterans from VJ, recommend that you consider a CR-1/IR-1 where there is a much better chance of getting a visa. Once you arrive in the use shortly thereafter you will get your green card and social security number allowing you to work if that is what you desire. The cost of the CR-1/IR-1 is less expensive than the K-1. Here is the comparison of the two visas.

K-1 vs CR-1 Full Analysis

K-1

More expensive than CR-1    

Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    

Spouse cannot leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (about 5-6 months)    

Spouse cannot work until she/he receives EAD (about 5-6 months)    

Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    

Spouse will not receive Green Card for 10 to 12 months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

If you have red flags this may be the best place to start in case of denial.

Estimated timeline is 8 to 10 months (NOA1 to Interview) This is officially qquoted as 6 to 12 months.

K-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$265 per person - DS-160 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$1,225 per person - AOS Fee (Includes EAD/AP if filed together)

$750 per child under 14

$680 per person - ROC Fee

$2,705 plus medical (K-1)

$2,170 plus medical (K-2 over 14 years old)

$1,695 plus medical (K-2 14 years old and younger)

CR-1    

Less expensive than K-1    

No Adjustment of Status (I-485, I-131, I-765) required.

Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    

Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    

Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to the United States

If denied, a K-1 has no practical options other than to start over from scratch. A denied CR-1 can be reaffirmed. So, if there are red flags and one is concerned about being denied, I would suggest steering away from the K-1.

Estimated timeline is 10 to 12 months (NOA1 to Interview) This is officially quoted at 12 to 14 months.

CR-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$120 - Affidavit of Support Fee

$325 - DS-260 (Visa Application) 

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$220 - USCIS Immigrant Fee

$680 - ROC (if married less than 2 years at POE)

$1,200 plus medical (per person if married more than 2 years when filing)

$1,880 plus medical (per person if married less than 2 years at POE) 

These are current fees subject to change without notice. Please do your personal homework before deciding what visa will work best for you with any corresponding fees.

Additional items to consider:

A refused K-1 with the petition being sent back will sit and die.

A refused CR-1/IR-1 with the petition being sent back can be reaffirmed and not refused again for the same reason if based upon the same evidence.

If concerned about the CO's evaluation of the relationship, then a spousal visa would be an optimal path.

Here are some additional links to study:

https://ma.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

https://ma.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

https://ma.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/faq/

https://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Morocco&cty=Casablanca

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=morocco&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=IR-1/CR-1 Visa

And the sub-forum for Morocco https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/97-middle-east-and-north-africa/

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

First, the intent to marry evidence is simply a signed letter from both of you stating that you intend to marry each other within 90 days of arriving in US on the K1 visa.  That is it.

Second, as others are saying, Morocco is known to be difficult to get a K1 visa approved.  CR1/IR1 spouse visas have better sucess rate there.  You do not need to get married in Morocco - a 3rd country/place like Gibraltar can work, if you can both get there.  Gibraltar is popular because you only have to wait 24 hours there, so 2 days total to get married.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 hours ago, Squishiieee said:

Of course, we have plenty of evidence showing our intent to get married, including venue receipt here in Missouri, dress receipt, tux receipt, engagement photos, engagement ring receipts for both of us (I proposed to him first in person but he already had everything prepared to propose to me), and also documents of our intent of marriage in Morocco. This is where I have a question. My fiancé and I thought about submitting the paperwork we gathered for our intended (but canceled) wedding in Morocco as evidence. I gathered an FBI report, an apostilled statement of singlehood from my state's vital records office, I even scheduled an appointment to obtain a police report in Morocco (but I never went due to lack of time), I went to the consulate in Casablanca to obtain an affidavit of eligibility to marry which would expire in 6 months (it's expired now), and other documents.

Don't include any of the marriage planning and preparation documents, or engagement photos, it could cause problems for a K-1 because it may look like you're married as we've seen all too often here on VJ.  All you need to file an I-129F petition is a simple statement from each person that you intend to marry in the US once the K-1 visa is issued, plus evidence of meeting at least once in the two years before filing the petition (a few photos of the two of you together, original boarding passes, copies of passport stamps, hotel receipts from the visit, etc.), plus the required civil documents for the petitioner.  As others have said, Morocco can be a difficult embassy for K-1 applications because of high fraud in the past, so more time spent together, in person, is normally recommended, before submitting the I-129F.  Or get married somewhere and go the spousal visa route.  If there any red flags in your case, such as a big age gap, different religions, etc., it can be even more difficult to get a K-1, and a CR-1 might be a more successful path to take.  Either way you're looking at a long process so just be ready for that.  Good luck!

53 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Don't include any of the marriage planning and preparation documents, or engagement photos, it could cause problems for a K-1 because it may look like you're married as we've seen all too often here on VJ.  All you need to file an I-129F petition is a simple statement from each person that you intend to marry in the US once the K-1 visa is issued, plus evidence of meeting at least once in the two years before filing the petition (a few photos of the two of you together, original boarding passes, copies of passport stamps, hotel receipts from the visit, etc.), plus the required civil documents for the petitioner.  As others have said, Morocco can be a difficult embassy for K-1 applications because of high fraud in the past, so more time spent together, in person, is normally recommended, before submitting the I-129F.  Or get married somewhere and go the spousal visa route.  If there any red flags in your case, such as a big age gap, different religions, etc., it can be even more difficult to get a K-1, and a CR-1 might be a more successful path to take.  Either way you're looking at a long process so just be ready for that.  Good luck!

I agree, we didn't have anything remotely similar when we filed, only letters of intent and that's it. 

However, a K1 is not a good idea in general and definitely not in Morocco. 

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

4 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

- a 3rd country/place like Gibraltar can work, if you can both get there.  Gibraltar is popular because you only have to wait 24 hours there, so 2 days total to get married.

Yup. Marriage in Gibraltar is straightforward. The obstacle in this case is that the beneficiary needs either a visa to enter Gibraltar issued by a British Embassy or a multiple entry Schengen visa with a minimum remaining validity of 7 days: http://www.gibraltarborder.gi/visa

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/22/2020 at 1:02 PM, carmel34 said:

Thank you so much for your advice! My fiancé and I originally planned to go the CR-1 route but due to the circumstances of my work and inability to leave it at the moment, I thought about the fiancé visa. If I had the opportunity, I would spend a longer time in Morocco but my job doesn’t allow it and I still have to plan for the financial requirement needed to file. I don’t have anyone to be a joint sponsor. If I did, I would leave my job behind and move there for a few months. I’m currently trying to see any possibilities on where to get married that could take less time than Morocco but I’m lost. As for the red flags you mentioned, my fiancé and I are only 10 months apart in age (I’m 24 and he is 23). I am Catholic and he is Muslim.

I guess we will have to rethink our approach to this situation. 

Timeline
On 10/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, Boiler said:

For example long delay ib being able to work, drive, cost of the process, I would start by reading on here especially the Regional Forum which has a lot of good information on this Consulate.

Thank you! I will look into that forum. I’ve started reading a lot more posts and I’ve opened my eyes to a lot thanks to you all and your guidance. :) 

Timeline
On 10/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, JFH said:

Have you only visited once? That will be the first thing you need to handle because just one visit is going to be a huge problem for the Casablanca embassy. @JeanneAdil is an expert on Morocco. 

Unfortunately, I have only visited once. Our plans were set back due to the pandemic. I was going to visit in April and stay until May (get married) and further on work from home in Morocco for a few months (the maximum time allowable). Everything changed for us and I was thinking of filing for the fiancé visa instead once I visited once more but now I’m rethinking that idea. I’ve reached out to Jeanne for advice. Thank you so much for telling me! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 10/21/2020 at 8:07 PM, Squishiieee said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm brand new here and currently organizing the K-1 visa packet for submission. For the most part, I've organized a lot of evidence and the application is filled but I'm currently confused about one thing. Of course, we have plenty of evidence showing our intent to get married, including venue receipt here in Missouri, dress receipt, tux receipt, engagement photos, engagement ring receipts for both of us (I proposed to him first in person but he already had everything prepared to propose to me), and also documents of our intent of marriage in Morocco. This is where I have a question. My fiancé and I thought about submitting the paperwork we gathered for our intended (but canceled) wedding in Morocco as evidence. I gathered an FBI report, an apostilled statement of singlehood from my state's vital records office, I even scheduled an appointment to obtain a police report in Morocco (but I never went due to lack of time), I went to the consulate in Casablanca to obtain an affidavit of eligibility to marry which would expire in 6 months (it's expired now), and other documents. I couldn't return to Morocco. We had to cancel our wedding plans for May. The engagement was simple and intimate, at his mother's home among his most immediate family. We did not have an engagement ceremony of any kind and especially not a wedding. At the beginning, we thought it would be a good idea to submit all of the documents we gathered to show that marriage was always our intention but I've become to wonder if that could possibly lead to USCIS believing we got married (I've read so many nightmare stories). Based on others who've gotten married in Morocco, no one could get married with only two weeks of time to make it happen. It's impossible (for me) to get married in Morocco simply based on the wait times for the family court approval. I haven't returned to Morocco since getting engaged due to COVID-19 and even now, I am still waiting to be able to go visit my fiancé but I'm getting clearance from my work first. We decided we want to get married here instead and that's why we are pursuing the K-1. All of our documents are expired and can't even be used to marry in Morocco unless we re-do them all over again. Two weeks (which is all I get allowed from work) won't be enough to get approved for marriage and marry in Morocco. I know I've gotten off of the topic, but I wanted to give enough details. So, what do you all think? Should I submit them as evidence of our intent? 

Also, would anyone know an estimated timeframe for the K-1 visa? I know with COVID a lot has been pushed back. I tried using the Immigration Timelines tool but I didn't find a lot of current timelines (2020) for Morocco. 

Thank you in advance for any responses! :) 

As the process varies from Embassy to Embassy, the one in Casablanca seems to be one of the toughest for K1 Visa grants.

That being said, marrying overseas may sound like a better plan. 

However, if you do decide to marry in the US, make sure your photos to show a bonafide relationship will not give the officers the wrong idea that you already got married somewhere else. 

Best of luck in your journey. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.