ryan villa

please help me

97 posts in this topic

hi good morning everyone. can anyone help me with my situation or any one have encountered this kind of situation?

i am more than  1 year lawful permanent residents here in usa, i am divorce and i have a girlfriend in the philippines can i petition my girlfriend now? what should i do to make my divorce validate in the philippines? please can anyone help me with my situation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, ryan villa said:

hi good morning everyone. can anyone help me with my situation or any one have encountered this kind of situation?

i am more than  1 year lawful permanent residents here in usa, i am divorce and i have a girlfriend in the philippines can i petition my girlfriend now? what should i do to make my divorce validate in the philippines? please can anyone help me with my situation.

No.  There is no girlfriend visa. Only USCs can petition fiancée 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've heard divorce in the philippines is a long and expensive process. Around 5000 US dollars. Not sure if this is still true, but it was a few years ago. It's one of the hardest if not the hardest to get a divorce in. I hope things have changed there.

The process can take anywhere from 1 to 10 years to wind through the creakingly slow and overburdened Philippine court system, costing at least $4,800 (around P250,000). Since 1999 lawmakers have regularly filed a bill to legalize divorce, only to see it languish in committee limbo.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

10 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I've heard divorce in the philippines is a long and expensive process. Around 5000 US dollars. Not sure if this is still true, but it was a few years ago. It's one of the hardest if not the hardest to get a divorce in. I hope things have changed there.

The process can take anywhere from 1 to 10 years to wind through the creakingly slow and overburdened Philippine court system, costing at least $4,800 (around P250,000). Since 1999 lawmakers have regularly filed a bill to legalize divorce, only to see it languish in committee limbo.

Hi @Loren Y, I believe you are referring to the annulment process. There is actually no divorce in the Philippines. I wish there was! 

If I remember right, an annulment is much more adversarial because it requires proof that the marriage was never valid from the start (need to present proof that one of the spouses was mentally incapable of contracting marriage, for example).

For sure, annulment is expensive and lengthy. Unfortunately, there is no other real option to dissolve a marriage between two Filipinos who got married in the Philippines.

@ryan villa please clarify your situation. Are you a Filipino who got married to another Filipino in the Philippines?

Edited by Adventine

19 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Hi @Loren Y, I believe you are referring to the annulment process. There is actually no divorce in the Philippines. I wish there was! 

If I remember right, an annulment is much more adversarial because it requires proof that the marriage was never valid from the start (need to present proof that one of the spouses was mentally incapable of contracting marriage, for example).

For sure, annulment is expensive and lengthy. Unfortunately, there is no other real option to dissolve a marriage between two Filipinos who got married in the Philippines.

@ryan villa please clarify your situation. Are you a Filipino who got married to another Filipino in the Philippines?

Hi mam i am a filipino citizen and my wife is us citizen. We are married in philippines and now were here in usa. How to make my divoce decree validate in philippines ? Thank you

20 minutes ago, Babu Frik said:

Did you become an LPR by marrying a US Citizen?

Yes 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

So when/if you get to filing for your new wife, there will be lots a scrutiny because you got stateside through marriage and will be petitioning someone

12 minutes ago, ryan villa said:

Hi mam i am a filipino citizen and my wife is us citizen. We are married in philippines and now were here in usa. How to make my divoce decree validate in philippines ? Thank you

Yes 

Okay, this is the kind of info that you should have provided at the start, so that people can give you accurate answers.

I'm not an expert so let's wait to see what other more experienced posters have to say.

49 minutes ago, ryan villa said:

i am a filipino citizen and my wife is us citizen. We are married in philippines and now were here in usa. How to make my divoce decree validate in philippines ?

You need to contact a lawyer in the Philippines to help you file for recognition of your foreign divorce in Philippine court.

Here are the steps to get your divorce recognized in the PH --

1. The divorce decree granted by a foreign country must first be filed for recognition in the Philippine Regional Trial Court (RTC).
  2. Once the local court recognized the foreign divorce decree, register it to the LCRO of the place of jurisdiction of the RTC which granted the petition.
  3. The next step is to provide the copy of the registered court decree and certificate of finality to the LCRO where the marriage was registered for the annotation in the COM.
  4. Once registered, you may now request for an annotated COM at PSA.

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/annotation-effects-divorce-declared-foreign-country

Edited by Chancy

3 hours ago, Babu Frik said:

Did you become an LPR by marrying a US Citizen?

3 hours ago, ryan villa said:

Yes 

Your girlfriend will not be able to get a visa through you for many years. Here are your hurdles..

1. There is no divorce in the Philippines. And the annulment process can take years and can be expensive. In order to petition for your gf, you will have to show your US divorce creed to petition for your gf. But it seems you want to register a divorce in the Philippines so you can marry her over there. And that is where the catch 22 comes in. Annulments in the PHL takes years. We see reports here that the average annulment in the PHL takes 3 years.

But #2 will be your biggest hurdle.

2. Because you married a US citizen to become a permanent resident, US immigration has put restriction of people of this category. And this restriction is that you ( the beneficiary) can't petition for a new spouse for 5 years after obtaining a GC through your previous marriage. So if you just became a PR a year ago, you still have 4 more years to go.

3. Even after you have met all the requirements (waiting 5 years, getting the annulment recognized in the PHL)... for you, the spousal visa process takes 2 years to complete.

So if you add in all of the time for that, you will start to see that it will be a long time before your GF will be in the US. My estimate is 5 - 7 years.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Your girlfriend will not be able to get a visa through you for many years. Here are your hurdles..

1. There is no divorce in the Philippines. And the annulment process can take years and can be expensive. In order to petition for your gf, you will have to show your US divorce creed to petition for your gf. But it seems you want to register a divorce in the Philippines so you can marry her over there. And that is where the catch 22 comes in. Annulments in the PHL takes years. We see reports here that the average annulment in the PHL takes 3 years.

But #2 will be your biggest hurdle.

2. Because you married a US citizen to become a permanent resident, US immigration has put restriction of people of this category. And this restriction is that you ( the beneficiary) can't petition for a new spouse for 5 years after obtaining a GC through your previous marriage. So if you just became a PR a year ago, you still have 4 more years to go.

3. Even after you have met all the requirements (waiting 5 years, getting the annulment recognized in the PHL)... for you, the spousal visa process takes 2 years to complete.

So if you add in all of the time for that, you will start to see that it will be a long time before your GF will be in the US. My estimate is 5 - 7 years.

Anullment isn't the only option, if eligible, foreign divorce recognition is possible but almost as time consuming.

This should be relocated to the regional forum 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.