HINSEJAL

abu dhabi interview requirements

17 posts in this topic

hello everyone,

one of my friend got a interview call for IR-1 in abu dhabi and she told me that they sent in email that along with her original birth certificates, they require spouse original birth certificate ?

so is we are going for IR-1/CR-1 interview, why do we need our spouse original birth certificate who is our petitioner and who is residing in the US ? please advise

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

If the petitioner is a US citizen then the US government wants primary proof of the petitioner’s citizenship.  This requirement is  normal for adjustment of status (green card) interviews within the USA. It is only fair that this requirement be the same for CR1/IR1 interviews.  

Make sure to bring a photo copy of the birth certificate along with the original. Do not give the CO the original to keep.   

if the petitioner  was a naturalized US citizen, it would be interesting if the embassy demanded the original naturalization cert. That would be a hard  no from me unless I could accompany my wife to the interview. 

Edited by Mike E

thankyou ! its really concerning as sending these documents through mail is risky i guess. birth certificate and naturalization. and in virginia the lawyers are not authorized to sign a true copy of originals.

any more help regarding this topic will be appreciated. i have been trying to search on state.gov website too but its not mentioned.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If the petitioner is a US citizen then the US government wants primary proof of the petitioner’s citizenship.  This requirement is  normal for adjustment of status (green card) interviews within the USA. It is only fair that this requirement be the same for CR1/IR1 interviews.  

Make sure to bring a photo copy of the birth certificate along with the original. Do not give the CO the original to keep.   

if the petitioner  was a naturalized US citizen, it would be interesting if the embassy demanded the original naturalization cert. That would be a hard  no from me unless I could accompany my wife to the interview. 

The proof of US citizenship is part of the I-130 petition (for IR1/CR1).  It could not have been approved and continued to the embassy interview stage without it.  Also, the embassy should have the entire approved I-130 as a scanned pdf for them to review in their system.

2 hours ago, HINSEJAL said:

hello everyone,

one of my friend got a interview call for IR-1 in abu dhabi and she told me that they sent in email that along with her original birth certificates, they require spouse original birth certificate ?

so is we are going for IR-1/CR-1 interview, why do we need our spouse original birth certificate who is our petitioner and who is residing in the US ? please advise

I am not sure about Abu Dhabi, but our embassy did not need or ask for the petitioner's birth certificate.   If you think Abu Dhabi will request it for your spouse's interview, then get a certified birth certificate and send via DHL.  If you do not have a US birth certificate and have a naturalization certificate, then I would NOT send the original.  Send a color photocopy.

Timeline
5 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

The proof of US citizenship is part of the I-130 petition (for IR1/CR1).  It could not have been approved and continued to the embassy interview stage without it.  Also, the embassy should have the entire approved I-130 as a scanned pdf for them to review in their system.

I can only speak to my experience as an I-129F petitioner and I-485 petitioner and what I am seeing with other petitions.  

My I-129F petition was approved with just a copy of my US passport photo page.  The same was true of my fiancée’s K-1.  

When we got to the I-485 interview the letter specifically asked for my birth certificate.  While I did bring my Original non USA birth certificate, I understood what USCIS actually wanted and also brought my original naturalization certificate.  As I predicted,

* the IO did not ask for my birth certificate. 

* the IO did ask for my naturalization certificate.  A document that had been printed at that very same field office two years earlier.   

I believe that advice to OP to not provide primary evidence of the petitioner’s US citizen is going to end badly.   And for no reason.  I advise compliance.  

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I can only speak to my experience as an I-129F petitioner and I-485 petitioner and what I am seeing with other petitions.  

My I-129F petition was approved with just a copy of my US passport photo page.  The same was true of my fiancée’s K-1.  

When we got to the I-485 interview the letter specifically asked for my birth certificate.  While I did bring my Original non USA birth certificate, I understood what USCIS actually wanted and also brought my original naturalization certificate.  As I predicted,

* the IO did not ask for my birth certificate. 

* the IO did ask for my naturalization certificate.  A document that had been printed at that very same field office two years earlier.   

I believe that advice to OP to not provide primary evidence of the petitioner’s US citizen is going to end badly.   And for no reason.  I advise compliance.  

The OP has not stated that the embassy required the USC birth certificate, but instead referred to someone else who required it at the interview.

My wife and I have done both the K1 and CR1, and at neither one did they require the USC birth certificate at the embassy interview.

9 hours ago, HINSEJAL said:

hello everyone,

Great news on receiving an appointment!

Was your interview cancelled and was rescheduled or you just received a new appointment call?

Are they scheduling interviews at the moment?

We are also waiting for an appointment however, we haven't seen any notice regarding scheduling appointments for IR1/CR1 visas

Timeline
1 hour ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

The OP has not stated that the embassy required the USC birth certificate, but instead referred to someone else who required it at the interview.

I can't tell from the OP if OP is referring to themselves in first or third person. Regardless, my experience is that embassies often ask contradictory information. Including contradicting themselves:

For example (highlighting the differences):

First e-mail from Embassy:

-Passport(s): Original & one (1) photocopy, valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States.

-Additional Form

-Photographs: Two (2) 2×2 photographs, on a white background, no older than 6 months, no glasses. See the required photo format explained in Photograph Requirements.

-Birth Certificate: Original birth certificate & notarized translation, plus one photocopy of each document.

-Marriage/Divorce/Death Certificate: Original certificates & notarized translation, plus one photocopy of each document. If you do not have marriage/divorce/death certificate required, click here for more information.

-Police Certificate: Original certificate & notarized translation, plus one photocopy. Police certificates must be obtained from each Myanmar Township where you have resided for six month or more past the age of 16, and all other countries you have resided for over one year.  For persons residing overseas, the most practical way to obtain the certificate is through close relatives or friends still in Burma.

-Evidence of Support: Form I-134, Affidavit of Support from the petitioner/U.S. sponsor, Internal Revenue Service Tax form 1040 dating back 1 year, W2, bank balance, & current employment letter.

-Court Records: If applicable. Please submit the original document, a notarized translation, & one photocopy of each.

-Adoption Decree: If applicable. Please submit the original document, a notarized translation, & one photocopy of each

-Military Records: If applicable. Please submit the original records, a notarized translation, & one photocopy of each.

-Evidence of relationship with your U.S. Citizen fiancé

-Medical Report: Before a visa can be issued, every applicant, regardless of age, must undergo a medical examination which must be performed by an authorized panel physician.  Please contact the following clinic to schedule your examination:

Second e-mail from Embassy:

Additional form
Visa fees ($265)
Two Photos (2 x2 inches with white background and without glasses)
Original and English notarized police Certificate from <<Redacted>>
Any relationship proof such as the photos with the petitioner
Original passport
Original English notarized birth cert (or )
Original and English notarized letter from health department
Original and English notarized copy of identity card

Note the lack of evidence of support in the above.

Third e-mail from Embassy:

Additional form

Visa fees $265

Two Photos (2 x2 inches with white background and without glasses)

Original and English notarized police Certificate from <<Redacted>>

Any relationship proof such as the photos with the petitioner

Original passport

I-134, updated W2 and 1040

Original and English notarized birth cert (or )

Original and English notarized letter from health department

Original and English notarized copy of identity card

---

The Embassy did not collect the I-134, W2, and 1040 that it wanted before and after it didn't want. I ended up burning them in my sister in law's clay pot while we waited for the visa. We kept the police certificates my wife gathered on her world tour courtesy the first email from the Embassy. Maybe we can use them as wall paper. And yes, for those reading this far, getting a police cert from Singapore if you aren't a citizen of that country is difficult.  Miraculously she still had her alien number (dear reader, check your Singapore academic records for the your alien number). 

This one is a hoot:

For persons residing overseas, the most practical way to obtain the certificate is through close relatives or friends still in Burma.

The Embassy has no clue about practicalities.

My wife and I have done both the K1 and CR1, and at neither one did they require the USC birth certificate at the embassy interview.

So you and I have different experiences of what the US government requires of the petitioner at an immigration interview. Water is wet. The sun rises and sets. Etc.

Timeline
9 hours ago, HINSEJAL said:

thankyou ! its really concerning as sending these documents through mail is risky i guess. birth certificate and naturalization. and in virginia the lawyers are not authorized to sign a true copy of originals.

any more help regarding this topic will be appreciated. i have been trying to search on state.gov website too but its not mentioned.

My suggestions:

* If you are asked for an original birth certificate clarify with the embassy if this is needed

* If you have a US naturalization certificate, clarify with the embassy if it also needs the naturalization certificate 

* If you can afford to go to UAE, bring these documents and photos copies with you and give to your spouse. Make sure your spouse understands that the originals must not be left at the embassy.  If possible, go with her to the interview.

* If you cannot go UAE, then send these documents using DHL and not the mail.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Mike E said:

-Birth Certificate: Original birth certificate & notarized translation, plus one photocopy of each document.

So you and I have different experiences of what the US government requires of the petitioner at an immigration interview. Water is wet. The sun rises and sets. Etc.

Not really.

At your embassy interview, they only requested the original birth certificate of the beneficiary, not the USC petitioner. 

We had the same process.

At AOS, where both the USC and foreign nation spouse is present and can attend the interview, they can and do ask for the original documents from both parties.  In the case of embassy interview, it is not expected that the USC petitioner is present and can attend.  Therefore it is almost unheard of (but not "never") that the embassy would request for original documentation pertaining to the petitioner.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Mike E said:

I can't tell from the OP if OP is referring to themselves in first or third person. Regardless, my experience is that embassies often ask contradictory information. Including contradicting themselves:

16 hours ago, HINSEJAL said:

hello everyone,

Timeline

@HINSEJAL

I didn't see any timeline information in your profile.  Are you still at the USCIS stage, NVC stage, or has your interview been scheduled?  If you are at the embassy stage (waiting for the interview), please contact the embassy directly and ask what is required to bring to the interview.

If they insist on the USC petitioner's original birth certificate, then get a certified copy from your state and send it over via DHL.  This phrase also makes me question this requirement - in the US, the actual original birth certificate is kept at the department of vital statistics in the state of the person's birth.  Citizens can only obtain an official certified copy from that department and can never obtain the "original" birth certificate.   It is different in other countries.  For example, my wife (from Ukraine) actually has her hand written original birth certificate.  It might just be a simple phrase error - asking for "original" when they mean "official".  Or it could be that your friend has misunderstood what the embassy is asking for.  

The best way to find out is to contact the embassy directly regarding your case.

hello everyone, thankyou for your prompt replies.

my husband was born in india and a naturalized citizen.

i got a chance to speak to 2-3 people who gave interviews in abu dhabi... i think they are giving interviews to people who expedited.

the people i know, they kept their spouse orignal birth certificate but the embassy didnt seem to ask for that.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, HINSEJAL said:

hello everyone,

When she got call for interview?When she got her DQ?I am also waiting for my CR1 interview and just want to make sure they are doing interviews or not?

On 10/22/2020 at 3:17 PM, Asmaaaa said:

When she got call for interview?When she got her DQ?I am also waiting for my CR1 interview and just want to make sure they are doing interviews or not?

Same!! Has Abu Dhabi embassy started scheduling interviews? I am IR still waiting to hear on the interview schedule. Any updates from Abu Dhabi embassy?

On 10/20/2020 at 8:06 PM, Ahmedandmaya said:

Great news on receiving an appointment!

Was your interview cancelled and was rescheduled or you just received a new appointment call?

Are they scheduling interviews at the moment?

We are also waiting for an appointment however, we haven't seen any notice regarding scheduling appointments for IR1/CR1 visas

Same!! Has Abu Dhabi embassy started scheduling interviews? I am IR still waiting to hear on the interview schedule. Any updates from Abu Dhabi embassy?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.