Jenn!

Gay pair's photo blacked out of yearbook...

90 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Your comparing a kid wearing a cross to 2 boys making out in a school photo?

No. I'm saying that if the argument is "Some people might find this offensive", then what is the line that you draw?

You draw the line at "how many" people find it offensive.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

No. I'm saying that if the argument is "Some people might find this offensive", then what is the line that you draw?

By a poll?

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

We have a situation in the US where minority groups now seem to override the majority. Why should the demands of the minority always decide the outcome?

Common sense seems to have been pushed out the window by some. The opinions of the majority are now silenced while they are forced to put up with anything a minority wants.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

By a poll?

Why not? America, democracy and all that.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
what about the rights of the other kids not to have such in their yearbook? :unsure:

Because they might find it offensive, you mean? That's a tricky path to take, I'd say. If there was a photo of a student wearing a cross, should that be blocked out in case it offends those of a differing (or no) religion?

Gotcha :D

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Maybe it could be texted in, a la American Idol. (One of the ideas, incidentally, to improve UK voting numbers. And I remember having an argument with a US bloke when I was travelling years ago about Ross Perot's idea of having the country decide national & foreign affairs through their TV remotes. He was all for it. I thought it was stupid. Anyway, I digress.)

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By a poll?

Why not? America, democracy and all that.

That's not democracy...that is mob rule. We'll have a popularity contest to decide what is fair and just society. :no:

Timeline
That's not democracy...that is mob rule. We'll have a popularity contest to decide what is fair and just society. :no:

How do you decide what's "fair and just" otherwise? Let the "minorities" decide? :rolleyes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
What I find shocking is that the administrator didn't see this coming. In this day and age if you make a decision to discriminate against a minority group, you should be pretty well aware of what the reaction will be. Either she was clueless, or didn't care about the consequences as long as the so-called objectionable images were taken care of.

Or maybe she just couldn't care less about PC nonsense and just did what she thought was right?

Is that what we're calling all antidiscrimination laws nowadays: PC nonsense? Or only the ones that apply to homosexuals?

I (L) Jenn. :luv:

Timeline

Yes, I understand the principle of minority rights.

Having a picture of two guys kissing each other in a yearbook is hardly a "basic right".

(Note: I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
We have a situation in the US where minority groups now seem to override the majority. Why should the demands of the minority always decide the outcome?

Common sense seems to have been pushed out the window by some. The opinions of the majority are now silenced while they are forced to put up with anything a minority wants.

Don't be an idiot. The system is designed to protect minority views. In this case, however, a majority of Americans are not as homophobic as what seems to be the average VJer, so there is no minority of homophobe chopfcuks to protect.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

How do you decide what's "fair and just" otherwise? Let the "minorities" decide? :rolleyes:

Holy cow, Mark - you do understand what the Constitution was all about, don't you? :blink:

Timeline
Holy cow, Mark - you do understand what the Constitution was all about, don't you? :blink:

It's not about protecting the "right" to have offensive (to some) pictures in a yearbook.