DoodBoy

CR1 for Arrange marriage/Nikkah only in Pakistan

29 posts in this topic

new here, me petitioner mid 30s beneficiary early 20s got nika (islamic marriage in Pakistan) early in 2020. 

backstory-explains-concern

i visited pakistan, 2019 on vacation to screen potential girls i can married to(briefly met/interviewed) almost like that reality-show bacheler, i felt like a prince haha.... came back to US, with my heart on 1 girl. Aunt's niece. I told my aunt to confirm with her parents if the girl is ok/family agrees and they did approve of me.

-middle class family, conservative values not much mingling before marriage is  the custom. 

-Early 2020,  decided to come to PK, attended cousin wedding and stary my own process too. I went to girl's family with my family & we OFFICIALLY proposal as they had previously agreed, met the girl, she still looked gorgeous(LOL) and a sweet heart.all agreed, took a day to give answer(customary-to consult relatives) So the problem is that i had to fly back to USA in 2 days. extended one more day(paid $1200 for extending 1 more day for my famly-got it all in cc-statement charged to extend ticket.. i had to rejoin work in US). 

So on this trip, i had the nikkah done(ceremony which officially provides u marriage-certificate in Pakistan) got pics of nikkah(not whole lot, me and wife standing together looking a bit awkward tho... shy guy me), video clip of me signing marriage papers(aka I DO) on groom side, her signing on girls side (segregated middle-class customs n values).  

-So, next day is flight back to USA due to work.  Now that we are married (marriage certificate issued). whatsapp exchanged, we've been chatting daily/phonecall weekends and have 7 month of communication on whatsapp. I send her monthly/bi-monthly money transfer..(have receipts) , girl living w/ parents at moment. I plan to go to PK in 2021 hoping her visa is in so i can bring her with me to USA. 

i plan to file CR1 Now that embassies are resuming visas starting Oct 1. In 7 months of time, we establish some communication/good understanding & comfort around eachother. She knows about me, i know about her, ready to re-unite and start life in US and live happily ever after.

is there any red-flags here for this quasi-arrange marriage? i have a feeling my not-so-many pictures together or time together makes my case WEAK and worried that i be denied or RFE. Is my worry valid? what more can i show as evidence of bona-fide relationship incase something comes up. People were saying that counselor in PK are aware of the customs of Pakistan therefore, no suspicion should arise and that i shoud apply CR1 ASAP.

one minor issue girl's birth-certificate name 1 letter is mispelled from IRFANA its written ARFANA (will this bring a problem) -note:not her real name.

Kindly advise, what you think.. is my case ok? is there anything i can do to strengthen my case to prove bona-fide relationship?  do i need to mention 2019 visit to see series of girl in my time-line? 

Any advice is appreciated... 

Edited by DoodBoy

• 1 year later...

hey, petition was approved...then NVC, all paper work submitted month ago to NVC (ONLINE, including Ds-260, affivated of financial support etc, all her civil docs submitted).. now waiting for ''documentation completed'' status and then interview call (meanwhile all covid vaccination completed). So now its just waiting period, NVC sure is taking while to review civil documents to provide that ''documentation completed status"" 

So lets, just see how it goes.. thinking it should be done within 6months.

Edited by DoodBoy

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, DoodBoy said:

hey, petition was approved...then NVC, all paper work submitted month ago to NVC (ONLINE, including Ds-260, affivated of financial support etc, all her civil docs submitted).. now waiting for ''documentation completed'' status and then interview call (meanwhile all covid vaccination completed). So now its just waiting period, NVC sure is taking while to review civil documents to provide that ''documentation completed status"" 

So lets, just see how it goes.. thinking it should be done within 6months.

Petition approval is the easy hurdle.  Best to go visit her again for as long as you can BEFORE her visa interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Petition approval is the easy hurdle.  Best to go visit her again for as long as you can BEFORE her visa interview.

ahh what? easy? isnt petition approval the HARD PART?  like they wanted bona fide marriage n to see if its LEGIT marriage n all.. thhat part was hardest given we were away from eachother for past 1.5 yrs. n we were able to convince that its a legit marriage... so i feel that was the HARD part... 

Why do u feel i should visit her BEFORE interview? i am just curious... like what could they be asking? i was thinking interview would be easy now its just formality.. cuz it seems the background check/due diligence is cleared. Interview is usually 5-10 minutes on average.. so i am thinking they just want to know the basics like how did we meet, how do we keep in touch, n proof of financial support etc. .

Reason i haven't been able to visit is, covid....then we had lot of turnover, i had to hold down the FORT at my employer. WHen i did get some time off Omicron surfaced US  (december) it was unpredictable at that time.. travel bans could be issued from XYZ countries, so i didn't travel, otherwise i was going to go, spend 15 with her n return.

Again, what is the logic behind me going there before the interview. As far as i know, they won't even let anyone in the consulate building, other than interviewee.. so why waste the time/money n vacation time which is limited due to high turn over. 

i was thinking Once she gets visa, i will get time off n bring her with me.. if i go now(use up my vacation days n return to USA) n then once she gets visa in nex 2-3 month.i won't be able to go becuz vacation days used up.. .. so that would mean another delay.. that's my situation.

Timeline
2 hours ago, DoodBoy said:

ahh what? easy? isnt petition approval the HARD PART?  like they wanted bona fide marriage n to see if its LEGIT marriage n all.. thhat part was hardest given we were away from eachother for past 1.5 yrs. n we were able to convince that its a legit marriage... so i feel that was the HARD part... 

Why do u feel i should visit her BEFORE interview? i am just curious... like what could they be asking? i was thinking interview would be easy now its just formality.. cuz it seems the background check/due diligence is cleared. Interview is usually 5-10 minutes on average.. so i am thinking they just want to know the basics like how did we meet, how do we keep in touch, n proof of financial support etc. .

Reason i haven't been able to visit is, covid....then we had lot of turnover, i had to hold down the FORT at my employer. WHen i did get some time off Omicron surfaced US  (december) it was unpredictable at that time.. travel bans could be issued from XYZ countries, so i didn't travel, otherwise i was going to go, spend 15 with her n return.

Again, what is the logic behind me going there before the interview. As far as i know, they won't even let anyone in the consulate building, other than interviewee.. so why waste the time/money n vacation time which is limited due to high turn over. 

i was thinking Once she gets visa, i will get time off n bring her with me.. if i go now(use up my vacation days n return to USA) n then once she gets visa in nex 2-3 month.i won't be able to go becuz vacation days used up.. .. so that would mean another delay.. that's my situation.

Unfortunately, you haven't been doing your homework.  If you had, you would know the answers to your questions already.  You've got a very "off" idea of how this process works, and what it's about.  Petition approval is the easy part.  All you have to prove is...

1. You are a US Citizen

2.  You were both free to marry

3.  You are actually married

The relationship evidence you submitted is only given a cursory look by USCIS.  Visa decisions are made by Consular Officers.  Pakistan is a high fraud Consular Post.  There will be plenty of scrutiny of the evidence already submitted, and the totality of circumstances will be considered, including any questions they ask your wife during the interview.  Your idea that the interview is a formality, is far from accurate.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

ok appreciate the bluntness.  I am open to accepting my taking of process lighter than i thought.  im saying what could an interview which lasts on average 10 minutes on a window booth (with 100s of ppl in line in back) be hard about? i mean it's like buying a movie ticket (thinking of setting) like no actual chairs to sit right across n ''interrogate'' ) environment setting alone gives me this thought that it's formality n that it's just to make sure thye have the copies of civil documents r matching so they can begin the passport creation, name spelling correct etc? may be a curveball Q or two.. but best be prepared...  

so Q is...what kind of curve ball questions could they be asking my wife? now that key due diligence is done, marriage is proven on paper/evidence they accepted. I just want an idea so i can have her prepared (much prep needed).. thanks always appreciate the yrs of experience/wisdom you guys carry.  

Q's  i have in mind they'll ask are as follows:

1) how did u guys meet?

2) what is ur hubby's DOB

3) how have you stayed in touch?

4) what is your husband's job?

Curve Q 5) Give evidence of your on-going relationship. (got financial receipts of my support to her i send her, can't show whatsapp msgs since cellphones are not allowed in building, so) just the oral statement from her that we stay in touch via whatsapp.. its pandemic, husband couldnt come due to above stated reason (truth) n such..

Plz note my wife is extremely naiiive, she lived a very shelled life not much interaction w/ world just stayed w/ her parents, never worked, so her communication is not the BEST, so i am a lil worried on that matter..   like i did mock interview Q i askd ''ok what r you here for'?''  her reply was because you guys called me for interview? :) ... yea need some practise here.. any practical Q's at interviews at Pakistan anyone know? 

Thanks

Edited by DoodBoy

Timeline
8 hours ago, DoodBoy said:

ok appreciate the bluntness.  I am open to accepting my taking of process lighter than i thought.  im saying what could an interview which lasts on average 10 minutes on a window booth (with 100s of ppl in line in back) be hard about? i mean it's like buying a movie ticket (thinking of setting) like no actual chairs to sit right across n ''interrogate'' ) environment setting alone gives me this thought that it's formality n that it's just to make sure thye have the copies of civil documents r matching so they can begin the passport creation, name spelling correct etc? may be a curveball Q or two.. but best be prepared...  

so Q is...what kind of curve ball questions could they be asking my wife? now that key due diligence is done, marriage is proven on paper/evidence they accepted. I just want an idea so i can have her prepared (much prep needed).. thanks always appreciate the yrs of experience/wisdom you guys carry.  

Q's  i have in mind they'll ask are as follows:

1) how did u guys meet?

2) what is ur hubby's DOB

3) how have you stayed in touch?

4) what is your husband's job?

Curve Q 5) Give evidence of your on-going relationship. (got financial receipts of my support to her i send her, can't show whatsapp msgs since cellphones are not allowed in building, so) just the oral statement from her that we stay in touch via whatsapp.. its pandemic, husband couldnt come due to above stated reason (truth) n such..

Plz note my wife is extremely naiiive, she lived a very shelled life not much interaction w/ world just stayed w/ her parents, never worked, so her communication is not the BEST, so i am a lil worried on that matter..   like i did mock interview Q i askd ''ok what r you here for'?''  her reply was because you guys called me for interview? :) ... yea need some practise here.. any practical Q's at interviews at Pakistan anyone know? 

Thanks

Most interviews confirm a decision the Consular Officer has already been leaning towards based on completely reviewing the file.  If the file shows only one visit in a high fraud country, expect them to be leaning against visa issuance.  If you can add evidence of a second visit to the file, or she can carry it with her, it can make a huge difference.  I get how your brain works.  It's logical but you've also reached what I refer to as "convenient" conclusions.  If you do the actual homework before answering the "exam questions" (forming your conclusions) you'll reach different ones and probably act accordingly.

You sending her money is not evidence of a bona fide relationship.  I would leave that out.

Of course you can show examples of how and how frequently you communicate.  Take example screen shots and print them.  You can even upload them at the NVC stage, or include them in your initial filing, and update them at NVC stage.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

ok you made some valid points here. I'll try to make a visit in few months. So, i go for a visit, we go to fun places take pictures together in various fun spots & print them. That should be good enough, yes?   

a concern about the time period about CR1 turning into IR1? 2 year thing. 

marriage in Feb 2020

initial applied with uscis in Dec 2020 (I-30 online)

case created at NVC Oct 2021.. (submitted civil docs + Ds-260) in Dec 2021

so currently, i am waiting for interview call yes? or before the interview call there will be a confirmation msg received stating all documents completed/accepted?

Point of concern:

SO Feb 2022, it will be 2 yrs to my marriage date.. am i counting from right date?  like they said if it your case isnt completed in 2 yrs? you have to re-do everything from begining. 

thx

Edited by DoodBoy

Timeline
2 minutes ago, DoodBoy said:

ok you made some valid points here. I'll try to make a visit in few months. So, i go for a visit, we go to fun places take pictures together in various fun spots & print them. That should be good enough, yes?   

a concern about the time period about CR1 turning into IR1? 2 year thing. 

marriage in Feb 2020

initial applied with uscis in Dec 2020 (I-30 online)

case created at NVC Oct 2021.. (submitted civil docs + Ds-260) in Dec 2021

so currently, i am waiting for interview call yes? or before the interview call there will be a confirmation msg received stating all documents completed/accepted?

Point of concern:

SO Feb 2022, it will be 2 yrs to my marriage date.. am i counting from right date? 

thx

Then length of visit is far more important than what you DO, during the visit, and/or what you take photos of doing. Photos are good, and some of them should be with family.

If your wife enters the USA after the two year marriage anniversary, she will receive IR1 status and a ten year green card.

You'll get an email stating you are documentarily qualified.  Then you are in queue for an interview.  When an interview is scheduled, you'll get another email a few weeks in advance.  When the visa is issued, it will be good for six months from the date the medical was completed.  You would know ALL of this already if you did your homework.  Get on it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1.  Listen to pushbrk.

2.  Do NOT (do NOT!) EVER underestimate the consular phase of this process.

3.  Listen to pushbrk.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

37 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Then length of visit is far more important than what you DO, during the visit, and/or what you take photos of doing. Photos are good, and some of them should be with family.

If your wife enters the USA after the two year marriage anniversary, she will receive IR1 status and a ten year green card.

You'll get an email stating you are documentarily qualified.  Then you are in queue for an interview.  When an interview is scheduled, you'll get another email a few weeks in advance.  When the visa is issued, it will be good for six months from the date the medical was completed.  You would know ALL of this already if you did your homework.  Get on it.

the DQ, yes so i am to wait for DQ confirmation email first.  I submitted in Dec 2021, on average how long do they take? any idea.. interview depends on queue at consulate i guess. 

So if 2 yrs go by in the process, i dont have to re-apply everything? that's a relief ! i think it was at USCIS(i130) stage where the 2 yrs lapse crushes the case? right?  what is the worst tht can happen at NVC stage? like if they dont issue visa, they may ask for material to be convinced its legit marriage right? they cant just outright trash our case to a point where one has to re-apply from begining i-130 at USCIS level .. can that happen?  sorry if my Q's annoy u, i like to know the worst case scenario n best case scenario to plan things.

She is definately getting the IR1 status since 2 yrs anniversary is month away..  

is there downside to IR1 status n green card 10 yr? as oppose to permanent one? sounds like downgraded version of greencard for no fault of our own. strange..

Edited by DoodBoy

25 minutes ago, DoodBoy said:

s there downside to IR1 status n green card 10 yr? as oppose to permanent one? sounds like downgraded version of greencard for no fault of our own. strange..

What does this mean?  Most people would be happy to get the 10 year GC vs the 2 year conditional GC.  

Also, it's good that you're planning ahead, but if you haven't been documentary qualified yet through NVC, you may have a couple of years yet to go in the process.  Your embassy is backed up and fraught with other issues.

28 minutes ago, DoodBoy said:

So if 2 yrs go by in the process, i dont have to re-apply everything? that's a relief ! i think it was at USCIS(i130) stage where the 2 yrs lapse crushes the case? right?  what is the worst tht can happen at NVC stage? like if they dont issue visa, they may ask for material to be convinced its legit marriage right? they cant just outright trash our case to a point where one has to re-apply from begining i-130 at USCIS level .. can that happen?

Not sure where you got any of these ideas from.  NVC accepts and confirms the validity of documents.  That's it.  The decision whether to issue a visa is entirely up to the consulate.

Timeline
35 minutes ago, DoodBoy said:

the DQ, yes so i am to wait for DQ confirmation email first.  I submitted in Dec 2021, on average how long do they take? any idea.. interview depends on queue at consulate i guess. 

So if 2 yrs go by in the process, i dont have to re-apply everything? that's a relief ! i think it was at USCIS(i130) stage where the 2 yrs lapse crushes the case? right?  what is the worst tht can happen at NVC stage? like if they dont issue visa, they may ask for material to be convinced its legit marriage right? they cant just outright trash our case to a point where one has to re-apply from begining i-130 at USCIS level .. can that happen?  sorry if my Q's annoy u, i like to know the worst case scenario n best case scenario to plan things.

She is definately getting the IR1 status since 2 yrs anniversary is month away..  

is there downside to IR1 status n green card 10 yr? as oppose to permanent one? sounds like downgraded version of greencard for no fault of our own. strange..

You haven't even started doing your homework yet.  Get on it.  You have some strange ideas about the process.  There is no permanent green card.  Only upside to IR1 vs CR1

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.