Nerado

Can you attach files AFTER submitting N-400 online application?

8 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why I can't reply to this post, so starting one here. We just went through a pain in trying to submit the N-400 through the USCIS online application. It was very frustrating and nerve wrecking. The attachments kept disappearing but we finally got through to the final Review Information page and saw all the attachments listed at the bottom of all our other information we were reviewing and validating to be correct. I still don't 100% trust that they truly got attached though. Does anyone know if you can go later and validate that they did go through OR attach further documents AFTER submitting the N-400 online form? The site says we have to wait 72 hours before we can see any status.. but I don't know if that includes opportunity to verify the attachments made it.. or give the ability to add additional documents to submit. I'm hoping worst-case scenario (if they didn't go through with the application) that they will just require to bring it all physically to the interview... or ideally submit it online somehow. Thank you for reading this far.. hoping someone can shed some light and calm our anxiety a bit!

Filed: Timeline

I don't think that you'll get the chance to submit additional documents after submission, unless with an RFE. The application form will be closed. You'll get: 1) a snapshot pdf with the list of submitted evidence on the last page; and maybe 2) an additional responses pdf if you have to write in explanations.

If you're anxious, why not take a screenshot of every step that you made? As long as you know that you attached the documents and your account shows that they have been attached to the submitted application, there is nothing more that you can do. At least you know that you didn't do anything wrong.

imo I would take the chance to submit it during that session when you're completely ready, and with the application completed and attached documents.

Good luck!

Edited by xyz12345

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You can log into the myUSCIS website to see that the attachments are there.  It is also possible to upload additional attachments, so you could add anything which did not upload properly.

Thank you! I may not have been clear in what I said.. I did actually go ahead and submit it.. and did take screenshot of the summary screen showing all the attachments for what it's worth. I guess worst case scenario is I have to print it all out and bring it to an interview.. or they have some mechanism to prompt me to attach files for evidence. 🤞🤞🤞

I appreciate this community and how promptly people were compelled to answer. Thank you, and best of luck to you. I'll try and remember to update this thread if it can help anyone else out later.

9 hours ago, Nerado said:

I'm not sure why I can't reply to this post, so starting one here. We just went through a pain in trying to submit the N-400 through the USCIS online application. It was very frustrating and nerve wrecking. The attachments kept disappearing but we finally got through to the final Review Information page and saw all the attachments listed at the bottom of all our other information we were reviewing and validating to be correct. I still don't 100% trust that they truly got attached though. Does anyone know if you can go later and validate that they did go through OR attach further documents AFTER submitting the N-400 online form? The site says we have to wait 72 hours before we can see any status.. but I don't know if that includes opportunity to verify the attachments made it.. or give the ability to add additional documents to submit. I'm hoping worst-case scenario (if they didn't go through with the application) that they will just require to bring it all physically to the interview... or ideally submit it online somehow. Thank you for reading this far.. hoping someone can shed some light and calm our anxiety a bit!

Once you sign up to the myuscis website you can see what you have already submitted as documents in the documents section, and you can at any  time add some more documents.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this, I've included screenshots so you can get an idea of what it will look like after you submit your application and it becomes available on your account.

I can confirm that after you apply online and your case becomes visible on your account... you CAN see what attachments made it as well as attach additional documents. HOWEVER, you should definitely be sure to attach everything you can up front when you first submit you N400. They may not recognize or accept attachments later on. So I think that is a very important point to remember.

N400-Case.jpg

Upload.jpg

Sure you can. But it doesn't guarantee the officer will look at them and respond

Correct.. That's why I noted that you should make sure to attach everything up front to be on the safe side:

22 hours ago, Nerado said:

HOWEVER, you should definitely be sure to attach everything you can up front when you first submit you N400. They may not recognize or accept attachments later on. So I think that is a very important point to remember.

Edited by Nerado
added quote for clarity in reply

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.