Charlie Brown 302

Affidavit of support and covid-19 related layoffs

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello and forgive me if this is in the wrong section, this is my first posting.

I work, did work for 19 years and 7 months, at a regional airline that is now closed because of the virus.

I received my NOA 1 on April 4th.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience or insight proving income being recently laid off and most if not all local work pays at or just below the minimum required.

And then maybe having a gap of employment while going to school to train for a new career field.

I was thinking of trying to find the best paying job doing anything near where I currently live and then when my fiance finally gets her visa and we get married I can try and find an aviation related job somewhere else in the US and move.

Maybe even taking a few months to get my CDL and start driving trucks.

I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown 302 said:

Hello and forgive me if this is in the wrong section, this is my first posting.

I work, did work for 19 years and 7 months, at a regional airline that is now closed because of the virus.

I received my NOA 1 on April 4th.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience or insight proving income being recently laid off and most if not all local work pays at or just below the minimum required.

And then maybe having a gap of employment while going to school to train for a new career field.

I was thinking of trying to find the best paying job doing anything near where I currently live and then when my fiance finally gets her visa and we get married I can try and find an aviation related job somewhere else in the US and move.

Maybe even taking a few months to get my CDL and start driving trucks.

I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Its all about current income.  History is not the standard.   Length of employment doesn't matter.   Manila only asks for the i134 in about 10% of the time but doesn't mean you aren't prepared to provide the needed evidence if asked 

YMMV

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown 302 said:

If your current income is not enough to qualify you to sponsor, prepare a co-sponsor or get another job before your fiancee's interview.

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
On 10/4/2020 at 6:09 PM, J+J said:

What about assets?  There must be some amount of cash in the bank you can have that would make up for a gap in employment...

Some, but unless I get an education grant to learn a new career, I will be forced into pulling from my meager 401k.

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your input.

I was also wondering, for those who have a job that does not pay hourly or salary , "annual income"  you just estimate using pay stubs received for that year ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 10/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, Charlie Brown 302 said:

Thank you everyone for your input.

I was also wondering, for those who have a job that does not pay hourly or salary , "annual income"  you just estimate using pay stubs received for that year ?

I would think that is reasonable, and last years tax forms showing what you made last year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.