jxn

Registering birth of dual citizen child - mother's married and maiden names

3 posts in this topic

I'm posting this here in the Latin America regional sub-forum but am happy to move it if there is a better place for my question.

There are plenty of questions on VisaJourney about traveling with the green card in an immigrant's married name and passport in their maiden name. The answer is that DHS/USCIS/CBP are don't need the names to match because they understand that you are the same person. 

Taking that line of thought and extending it, I'm wondering what people's experiences have been with a child that is born to a dual citizen mother, but whose documents in her country of birth reflect her maiden name. In my specific example, the country is El Salvador, but anecdotes from any country are useful. For what it's worth, in El Salvador you don't drop your maiden surnames at marriage so most people who marry and change their name in countries like the U.S. where it's more common simply end up with their American documents reflecting their married name and Salvadoran documents reflecting their maiden name, with each country considering the corresponding name to be the only correct one.

With that in mind, I'm wondering when registering the birth of a Salvadoran-American child at the local Salvadoran Consulate in the U.S., how they will reconcile the name difference with my wife. Our marriage certificate listing her maiden name and declared married name is the legal name change document in the U.S., so I'm hoping with that they see that her U.S./married name on the child's U.S. birth certificate, coupled with her U.S. and Salvadoran passports, means everything is set. I presume they would use her Salvadoran/maiden name when they register it, since that's the name they have always recognized?

I'm just opening this for general discussion since I'm hoping to avoid a bureaucratic nightmare of "Sorry, the names don't match" and therefore want to know what others' experiences have been in this situation, regardless of country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Names are checked out with visa application

In Morocco when a woman marries she does not take the last name of husband (so they don't match)

and a child born to the couple ,  receives the last name of father (so they don't match the mother when they travel together)

this has not been a problem for any of the women coming from our country with children of the USC (or a previous child with name of the real father)

don't over think it

Best to you

35 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Names are checked out with visa application

In Morocco when a woman marries she does not take the last name of husband (so they don't match)

and a child born to the couple ,  receives the last name of father (so they don't match the mother when they travel together)

this has not been a problem for any of the women coming from our country with children of the USC (or a previous child with name of the real father)

don't over think it

Best to you

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, everyone involved in this question is a U.S. citizen, so my question is actually about how the other country sees it. In this case, El Salvador.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.