jxn

N-400 application and question on crimes and offenses

2 posts in this topic

I'm helping a friend fill in her N-400 application and am a little stuck on what is probably a straightforward question. The online naturalization application form asks:

• Have you EVER been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense?
  • Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense?
  • Have you EVER been placed in an alternative sentencing or a rehabilitative program (for example, diversion, deferred prosecution, withheld adjudication)?

She has a reckless driving misdemeanor in California from many years ago that resulted in a fine and temporary license revocation/suspension, and she has all the paperwork. I'm assuming the answers are yes, yes, and no, but are there any questions I should ask her to clarify the appropriate response? She had to go to a class at the DMV, so I wonder if that counts as a rehabilitative program.

Thank you!

Filed: Timeline

Check the driving record. It might say 'Adjudication Withheld' if your friend went to traffic school for the specific violation.

In any case, she can always explain the 'yes' answers. The IO will go over with her with these questions again and correct any mistakes, if any. The important thing is disclosing the violation. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.